BE AWARE!!! MST Intake filter burned by screw

Vincent

First Name
Vinnnnn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 supra
Check your MST intake filter, it might be burned by the screw under your filter. As the engine runs hot, that screw also become very hot. Check your filter clearance.
intake bracket.jpg
intake hole.jpg
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Is that a design flaw or installer error? :hmm:

JDG520

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra
Looks like it just vibrated and rubbed on the screw head it was resting on and it got dirty. I wouldn’t have guessed burnt.

OP
OP

Vincent

First Name
Vinnnnn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 supra
Is that a design flaw or installer error? :hmm:
It's a install error. But I believe some people might have the same problem because I need to adjust a certain angle for it to not rub against the screw. Just wanted give a heads up for the people.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
It's a install error. But I believe some people might have the same problem because I need to adjust a certain angle for it to not rub against the screw. Just wanted give a heads up for the people.
Thanks for the heads up. That definitely looks like damage from vibration. Time for a new filter.

-RJM

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I wonder if that screw can be replaced by a low-head version?

godbiggy

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Thanks for the post, I just checked mine and it was indeed rubbing on the bolt. I've adjusted the main pipe and clocked it closer into the engine bay and now it has enough clearance. Going to monitor the filter to see if its still rubbing after a few drives. I also added a low clearance M8 bolt and nut to help.

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg

OP
OP

Vincent

First Name
Vinnnnn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 supra
Thanks for the post, I just checked mine and it was indeed rubbing on the bolt. I've adjusted the main pipe and clocked it closer into the engine bay and now it has enough clearance. Going to monitor the filter to see if its still rubbing after a few drives. I also added a low clearance M8 bolt and nut to help.

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4944.jpg
Glad we found out sooner. I also tried to adjust the pipe closer to the engine bay, but then the filter will sit very high, are you able to put on the heat shield without it touching the filter?

godbiggy

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
Glad we found out sooner. I also tried to adjust the pipe closer to the engine bay, but then the filter will sit very high, are you able to put on the heat shield without it touching the filter?
I honestly have not tried to put the lid on, I've been running without it. I don't recall the filter sitting up that high though so it should clear :)
Sponsored