Best Motoring: GR Supra 6MT vs. 8AT Touge Showdown【Hot-Version】2022 <ENG-Sub>

Kujiwara

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra AT Stratosphere, GLI32, SVT Cobra
The two absolutely can have the same suspension and handle differently. MT is lighter than AT, and the weight is coming from near the center rear part of the vehicle. As such, your moment of inertia, CG are all different. I'm not saying the two cars have the same suspension, but just saying they can be the same but handle different. Manual cars will have more direct torque control as even a locked torque converter at higher rpms have a little bit of slip when on and off throttling, any semi professional driver will be able to tell this. 8AT has shorter overall gearing in the first three gears so theoretically better acceleration, however, this may only be an advantage if it matches the course layout well. It is a balance between shift time, shift quantity, maximum traction, wheel torque.
Unless it's a modern race car or near race capability sports car (eg.GT3RS) with an excellent DCT or sequential box, I find professional racing drivers generally prefer a good manual box.
8AT Supra: better for most people on track and everywhere
6MT Supra: better track potential for highly skill drivers, more fun for capable manual drivers
Sponsored

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
The First GT4s they were trying to protect the 911 sales. Porsche was very concerned about losing 911 buyers in the 991 era. Because the cayman was such a better car for times/ racing. The gt4 manual has awful gear ratios. Many people re gear them. They are super long from the factory.

I feel the supra went to far the other way on the final drive. Will be interesting to see if and what changes there will be for 2024 model year.
Believe it or not the reason why the Cayman GT4 had horrible gear ratios was that it was tuned on the Nürburgring Nordschliefe. Those straights and high speed corners required longer gearing.

Natedawg

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche
Believe it or not the reason why the Cayman GT4 had horrible gear ratios was that it was tuned on the Nürburgring Nordschliefe. Those straights and high speed corners required longer gearing.
Interesting. maybe the corners it makes sense but the manual gt4 is gearing limited to 201mph. Top speed it hits on the ring is 173mph. The PDK GT4RS only gets another 10-15 mph over the gt4/ manual.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
The two absolutely can have the same suspension and handle differently. MT is lighter than AT, and the weight is coming from near the center rear part of the vehicle. As such, your moment of inertia, CG are all different. I'm not saying the two cars have the same suspension, but just saying they can be the same but handle different. Manual cars will have more direct torque control as even a locked torque converter at higher rpms have a little bit of slip when on and off throttling, any semi professional driver will be able to tell this. 8AT has shorter overall gearing in the first three gears so theoretically better acceleration, however, this may only be an advantage if it matches the course layout well. It is a balance between shift time, shift quantity, maximum traction, wheel torque.
Unless it's a modern race car or near race capability sports car (eg.GT3RS) with an excellent DCT or sequential box, I find professional racing drivers generally prefer a good manual box.
8AT Supra: better for most people on track and everywhere
6MT Supra: better track potential for highly skill drivers, more fun for capable manual drivers
Well said.

dogfm

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra
i m not a professional racer or indeed much of an amateur, I have an AT and won’t be changing to MT. It’s my everyday driver when I m not riding a motorcycle to commute
Traffic in the UK is appalling, stop start, queues of cars etc sometimes you get see you an open road and can have some fun. Most of the time auto and adaptive cruise control is your friend but sometimes just sometimes you get to have a blast.
MT would be a pain in the backside, a few tenths would not makeup for the few occasions available for fun!
Sponsored