Best overall air intake upgrade?

Z4_M40i

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW Z4 M40i, BMW 740xd, GR Yaris CP
0:32, 2:35, 3:10, 3:37, 3:50, 4:00 (probably the longest duration). You should be able to hear the induction noise whining over the air and engine noises.

That being said, its much louder in the cabin because you don't have the sound of air that's also being picked up.
Its difficult to hear if its the same noiwe on this, but cool video.

The noise I canā€™t unheard basically happens if you are driving normally and back off from 2,000 rpm. It sounds like youve just drank the last of a milkshake with a straw.

Itā€™s annoying as it only happens in normal driving, Id prefer to have noise in sport mode and back to oem in normal.
Sponsored

rb20vet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rebadged Toyota Passo
in terms of filtration power to ensure the cleanest air for engine health, would it be safe to say nothing beat the OEM intake?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
in terms of filtration power to ensure the cleanest air for engine health, would it be safe to say nothing beat the OEM intake?
Wellā€¦ brand new, yes. But eventually even my BMC drop in could do a better job at filtration if I let it get dirty enough. Thereā€™s a very fine line that is the sweet spot between filtration and flow. Youā€™d hope BMW did their research to find it with the OEM filter.

rb20vet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rebadged Toyota Passo
Wellā€¦ brand new, yes. But eventually even my BMC drop in could do a better job at filtration if I let it get dirty enough. Thereā€™s a very fine line that is the sweet spot between filtration and flow. Youā€™d hope BMW did their research to find it with the OEM filter.
I guess what you're saying is the OEM filter has poorer filtration power compared to those aftermarket ones?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
I guess what you're saying is the OEM filter has poorer filtration power compared to those aftermarket ones?
Actually the OEM likely has the best filtration. The aftermarket filters boast about airflow which means they do not filter as much brand new. The ironic thing about filters (engine intake, cabin air, even home HVAC) is the dirtier they get the better they filter because the openings get smaller. In turn air flow would then diminish. So, technically, out if the box OEM has less airflow as aftermarket, but better filtration.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
Still waiting for yall to ship the MST turbo inlet I ordered on November 15th.
I can't be of much help unless you dm me your order number so I can take a closer look

Levophed

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR supra 3.0
I'm going with the AMS system. I like how the design is fully enclosed and makes use of the stock air dam. Also, no heat soak with carbon fiber :)
Hey sorry to revive old thread. Just wondering though why would a carbon fiber intake cause no heat soak? Would a non carbon fiber like MST V2 cause excessive heat versus the AMS or armaspeed intake? I thought it would have to do more with the heat shield versus the material Looking to upgrade from stock thanks

Kamikaze

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Its difficult to hear if its the same noiwe on this, but cool video.

The noise I canā€™t unheard basically happens if you are driving normally and back off from 2,000 rpm. It sounds like youve just drank the last of a milkshake with a straw.

Itā€™s annoying as it only happens in normal driving, Id prefer to have noise in sport mode and back to oem in normal.
I have an Armaspeed intake and it sounds like this as well. Wondering if this is just normal or if I donā€™t have something on correct.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Hey sorry to revive old thread. Just wondering though why would a carbon fiber intake cause no heat soak? Would a non carbon fiber like MST V2 cause excessive heat versus the AMS or armaspeed intake? I thought it would have to do more with the heat shield versus the material Looking to upgrade from stock thanks
Iā€™m not positive if carbon fiber can cause no heat soak. However, carbon fiber can withstand higher amounts of heat than the materials used for the mst intake.
heat soak would really only matter to those that track. I live in MO and have the mst intake and have not had any bad heat soak.

You can always mitigate heat soak with higher octane fuel, adding on a heat shield, and even adding meth for cooling purposes, etc.
Sponsored