Best overall air intake upgrade?

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
I have the aFe Takeda intake, first mod I put in the car and it was very easy to install, fitment is perfect.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-56-70050r-takeda-momentum-cold-air-intake-system-w-pro-5r-filter

Turbo spool is a little more noticeable, it's nothing crazy though. Mostly drowned out by music and exhaust noise in sport mode (though I don't have a stock catback). They do make an open-box design now for greater noise and higher flow.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-56-10015r-takeda-stage-2-cold-air-intake-system-w-pro-5r-filter
Sponsored

Z4_M40i

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW Z4 M40i, BMW 740xd, GR Yaris CP
Hi all, I’ve been running the mst intake with a clear cover. I think it looks awesome and sounds great 90% of the time.

If you want to hear whistles and turbo sounds, this is the intake.

For the other 10% there are sone weird noises, when backing off it sounds like a blocked drain. Maybe it is exaggerated as my supra is the alfresco bmw version.

Im thinking of swapping to the carbon Venturi box, will the closed box hide the weird noise? Will it fit next to the Versus heat shield?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all, I’ve been running the mst intake with a clear cover. I think it looks awesome and sounds great 90% of the time.

For the other 10% there are sone weird noises, when backing off it sounds like a blocked drain. Maybe it is exaggerated as my supra is the alfresco bmw version.

Im thinking of swapping to the carbon Venturi box, will the closed box hide the weird noise? Will it fit next to the Versus heat shield?
Do you have a video of this sound, by chance? I know this type of thing doesn't usually come through clearly when recording.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
Do you have a video of this sound, by chance? I know this type of thing doesn't usually come through clearly when recording.
Give me a little bit, I have some go pro footage (also a fair bit of road and wind noise, but you can hear the intake as well) where you can clearly hear my identical setup. Just need to upload it to the cloud.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm having a little trouble hearing it... can you give me a time stamp or two?
0:32, 2:35, 3:10, 3:37, 3:50, 4:00 (probably the longest duration). You should be able to hear the induction noise whining over the air and engine noises.

That being said, its much louder in the cabin because you don't have the sound of air that's also being picked up.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
0:32, 2:35, 3:10, 3:37, 3:50, 4:00 (probably the longest duration). You should be able to hear the induction noise whining over the air and engine noises.

That being said, its much louder in the cabin because you don't have the sound of air that's also being picked up.
Thanks for this. It's interesting. Can't place what this sound is.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for this. It's interesting. Can't place what this sound is.
It sounds somewhat like a supercharger whine, but it is the intake pulling in air. Unfortunately, the day was a bit windy, and we were going quickly, so that's the best clip I could get. I'll see if there's any good clips from my track day.

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.

How did you get a clear cover?

baagel

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Challenger Hellcat
Sir, I recommend you use the search feature or scroll up a bit because I posted the exact same thing 7 posts above you.

If you're looking for maximum sound, I don't think this will be as loud. It doesn't seem to replace the turbo inlet pipe, from looking at these pics. Also, the HP and torque gains seem high.
It does replace the OEM turbo inlet pipe. It's depicted in the photos as well. Can't speak for the power gains, I take those with a grain of salt, but they did dyno it apparently.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sir, I recommend you use the search feature or scroll up a bit because I posted the exact same thing 7 posts above you.

It does replace the OEM turbo inlet pipe. It's depicted in the photos as well. Can't speak for the power gains, I take those with a grain of salt, but they did dyno it apparently.
Interesting to know. That pipe looked real short from the photos.