Brake screeching

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I was arriving to work as I took a turn so I can back up park, when I heard a thunk. After that thunk the front passenger wheel starts screeching when I move. I'll attach a video in a bit. Meanwhile, anyone knows what it could be?
Sponsored

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
More than likely a rock caught between the rotor and brake shield.
Ah fun

I'm 20 miles away from work. What would you recommend. Call dealership or do something else?

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had that happen over the weekend. Sometimes going in reverse will get it dislodged. Try that
I tried that for 10 minutes and it still screeches. I stopped because idk if it'll damage the rotor

Backtrack

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra & a few Wranglers
Ohhhh wow. Thatā€™s a tough spot. Can you get your hand into the the area and see if you can feel around? If you can, you might be able to flick it out. I doubt the rock is causing too much damage but Iā€™d definitely want it out ASAP as well.

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ohhhh wow. Thatā€™s a tough spot. Can you get your hand into the the area and see if you can feel around? If you can, you might be able to flick it out. I doubt the rock is causing too much damage but Iā€™d definitely want it out ASAP as well.
I'm probably gonna try that afterwards today. Gladly it's at my work's parking lot. We have a machine shop with a bunch of tools. I'm gonna let the brake cool down and then I'll grab some of the shop's tools and see if I can get anything out. I'll keep y'all updated

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Iā€™ve had that happen about 4-5 times on mine. The first couple of times I parked and spent a lot of time using wrenches/screwdrivers to try to pop it out, but not anymore, now I just keep driving. Once you get up to 60-70 mph itā€™ll pop out within a few seconds. Then you can punch it up to 100 to run away from all the other drivers looking at you funny.

OP
OP
calmeda1

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Drove it around for a bit, then ran a long pick around the shield and that did the job! Thanks guys!

Good to know that this is more normal than I thought

Koval

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0; 2019 F-150 3.5 KR; 2018 Honda GL
Drove it around for a bit, then ran a long pick around the shield and that did the job! Thanks guys!

This happened to me last week, the sound is the worst part o_O. Seems to be a fairly common problem.

Noctb48MD

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal B48, 2019 Blazer 2lt

This has also happened to me a few times, on the 2.0, the dust shroud is super close to the rotor and by bending the shield away from the rotor with a screwdriver/long pick to avoid picking up rocks in the future. Hasnt happened again in a year.

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
The first time this happened to me I was taking my brother-in-law for a spin and we both nearly had a heart attack. Mine fixed itself after backing into a parking spot, but the second time it happened I had to pull the wheel off and fish it out.

I couldn't see any damage from it.
Sponsored