chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Suzuka Silver GT
Pads

Can't find any recent info on brake pad upgrade options, so would love to hear some updates from fellow A90 drivers (and shop owners) who've found pads suitable for moderate track use. (Trackdays / sprints / time attack on high-grip street tyres)

In Australia we have the GT and GTS trims, which get 330mm and 345mm rear brakes respectively (both get 348mm front brakes.) I have a GT and am struggling to find affordable options.

The CSG CP pads seem appropriate, however they are pricey and the 330mm rears are only available in C11 compound. Winmax W3 seem like a strong alternative, however I can't figure out which ones to order for my GT.

Also, do we need to transfer the brake pad sensor to the new pads?

Big Brake Kits

The AP Racing by Essex Competition Brake Kits look amazing, and I'd be tempted to jump straight to these (rather than upgrade the pads in the stock brakes) however it seems they still haven't incorporated the rear parking brake.

Somewhere in between?

Has anyone just upgraded the rear rotors and pads, or possibly all 4 rotors/pads? This seems like a fair middle ground that would be relatively easy to accomplish...
Sponsored

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Suzuka Silver GT
Are the front GT brakes the same as the GTS? They look the same to me (minus the red paint) however a shop is telling me that the front pads are different...

IMG_20200214_141758.jpg
IMG_20200214_141752.jpg

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
Thanks for beating me to your original post. I am in the same boat.

I am also wondering which multipurpose pads would be best for a street/track setup.

I hope some forum members/ forum sponsors chime in with their experience.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Suzuka Silver GT
I've hit up a motorsport supplier in Australia, will be getting the Circo S88 pads on my car soon. Didn't know what they were but found this:

Based off the Winmax W3, the Circo S88 provides better noise control for street driving but with tweaked temperature control to allow for higher braking temps on the track. The perfect pad for the daily driven weekend track weapon! Tested on the Street FX/GT Auto Hyundai i30N which competed in the 2018 World Time Attack Challenge. Circo is the motorsport brand of Winmax, the popular Japanese-made performance brake pad.

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I just pulled the trigger on a set of front & rear Endless MX72Plus brake pads.

Will share my thoughts once i have them installed.

P.S. I am also installing HEL Performance stainless steel brake lines and will be bleeding the brake fluid with Endless RF-650 brake fluid.

OP
OP
chylld

chylld

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Suzuka Silver GT
You should be happy with them, a friend runs MX72 (not sure if plus or not) without complaints.

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chylld,

Thanks for the positive reply. :)

Rapheal

First Name
Rapheal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Carbotech has brake pads for the A90.

xBADCOMPANYx

First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS, GenCoupe, Duramax Colorado, A90
I'm using these. No complaints at all

IMG_20200121_121044_418.jpg

Rapheal

First Name
Rapheal
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Which compound would offer a compromise between street and track (i.e. similar to Ferodo DS2500)... AX6? XP8?
Just my personal preference. I would pick the Ferodo over Carbotech. I tried both brands on my previous cars both performed great on the street and track (depending on the compound).
Since Ferodo pads are currently not available. If I have to pick from Carbotech for street/track I would try the AX6 (I never tried this compound before). In my opinion, the XP8 and XP10 (which I tried on previous cars) are more track orientated.

JRitt@essex

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Car(s)
NA1 NSX, C6 Corvette, 987 Boxster, 335i, NA Miata
chylld,

Please keep in mind that you don't NEED a front and rear brake kit! These cars put far more abuse on the front brakes. Due to the drivetrain layout and vehicle dynamics, the front brakes take by far the most abuse on these cars. Most people will go through 3-4 sets of front brake pads and discs for every set of rears. If you look at track temps, the fronts are running far hotter than the rears. You're therefore far better off investing in the best front-only system you can afford vs. a lesser four wheel system. Our front systems are specifically designed to match the factory brake torque output. They mate up to the OEM rear brakes properly without having to mod the rears, or you can add our rear kit later when budget allows (which matches the OEM rear torque output). That means you don't have to spend $9k to have phenomenal brakes. Our absolute highest spec front systems have had lots of race wins and championships in NASCA, SCCA, and various club series. People have it stuck in their heads that they need to have something at all four corners. That's just not the case. If you're not melting, cracking, rebuilding, and destroying the brake components in the rear, you don't have a major problem in the rear! One of our systems up front with some good race pads in the OEM rear calipers is going to be far more effective, durable, and maintenance-free vs. lesser components at all four corners.
Sponsored