Break-In Period Driving Habits

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
I changed mine at 1600 miles and there was the typical break-in material floating around in the oil (higher than normal amounts of Silicon, Iron, Aluminum, etc..).
Another vote in favor I see. Thanks. I'm more sure than ever now.
Sponsored

Highhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘21 Supra 3.0
I was literally at the track the day after I got mine. Modern cars don't need a break in. Oil analysis came back with lower than average metals in the oil.
Yeah? Have you looked at the rings? How’s ur compression? Do you think the folks who actually designed and built the engine are just dummies?

akasonny

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium (Downshift Blue)
Yeah? Have you looked at the rings? How’s ur compression? Do you think the folks who actually designed and built the engine are just dummies?
Like anybody will be tearing their engine down in order to prove or disprove the manufacturer's specified break-in. German engineers are very specific...ask any responsible BMW owner.[

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
So the manual states to not rev over 4500 RPM for the first 1200 then to gradually increase the max speed you go. Also aware of breaking in the brakes.

But are there other things I should know about breaking-in? More notably, should I avoid using Sport Mode or manual mode until the car is broken in?

Any help is appreciated.
What is the breaking in the brakes? Please explain.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
What is the breaking in the brakes? Please explain.
It's establishing a transfer layer on the rotors. With non-race pads this will occur with basic normal use of the car - but you may notice a slight reduction in force and bite for the first few applications while this layer is established on the rotor.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
It's establishing a transfer layer on the rotors. With non-race pads this will occur with basic normal use of the car - but you may notice a slight reduction in force and bite for the first few applications while this layer is established on the rotor.
Thanks! “The more you know”

Highhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘21 Supra 3.0
“Modern cars don’t need break in” ranks among the worst internet advice I’ve ever seen, demonstrates an ignorance of the topic, and/or a lack of patience/discipline.

I was religious about my own break in, counting down the miles until I could let ’er rip. Here’s a pic of my odometer as I arrived at work Thursday...you can bet that the drive home was both highly anticipated and rewarding.

I concur with those suggesting a post break-in oil change and will do so soon.

By the way, I am also north of 40 mpg at 60 mph, and closer to 45 when the road is flat instead of climbing and descending. An engine treated right will treat you right in return :)

C4325EC5-C76C-4DD8-A768-EB1C674AD35B.jpeg

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
“Modern cars don’t need break in” ranks among the worst internet advice I’ve ever seen, demonstrates an ignorance of the topic, and/or a lack of patience/discipline.

I was religious about my own break in, counting down the miles until I could let ’er rip. Here’s a pic of my odometer as I arrived at work Thursday...you can bet that the drive home was both highly anticipated and rewarding.

I concur with those suggesting a post break-in oil change and will do so soon.

By the way, I am also north of 40 mpg at 60 mph, and closer to 45 when the road is flat instead of climbing and descending. An engine treated right will treat you right in return :)

C4325EC5-C76C-4DD8-A768-EB1C674AD35B.jpeg
:rofl: well I have to say, you live up to your screen name.

1198 miles and flooring it, HELL, FIRE & BRIMSTONE, cats and dogs living together, all out anarchy.

1201 miles, nothing but roses and sunshine, birds chirping, angels laying on fluffy white clouds watching you finally redline.

Please :rolleyes1:

I took delivery of my car 3 weeks ago, she's done 700 miles, NONE of which in comfort mode, averaging less than 20 MPG, because she's driven as she should. She gets brought up to temperature properly, and then it's spirited driving galore.

You've had 1200 miles of waiting, and I've had 700 miles of fun.

Highhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘21 Supra 3.0
:rofl: well I have to say, you live up to your screen name.

1198 miles and flooring it, HELL, FIRE & BRIMSTONE, cats and dogs living together, all out anarchy.

1201 miles, nothing but roses and sunshine, birds chirping, angels laying on fluffy white clouds watching you finally redline.

Please :rolleyes1:

I took delivery of my car 3 weeks ago, she's done 700 miles, NONE of which in comfort mode, averaging less than 20 MPG, because she's driven as she should. She gets brought up to temperature properly, and then it's spirited driving galore.

You've had 1200 miles of waiting, and I've had 700 miles of fun.
Yeah, because you are SO MUCH SMARTER than all of the manufacturers who actually design and build the engines. Who’s the arrogant one here, eh?