Break-In Period Driving Habits

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
I had over 800 miles to drive when I picked my car up. I just drove it like I would any other car. If I wanted to get on it, I did. With that also being said, I only had it close to redline maybe once or twice in the first 1200 miles then had the oil changed. Switching between sport and normal mode on interstate driving is mainly what I did (I'm AT so if your MT let the feet do most of the work.)
With ya! To this day, Iā€™m only hitting the redline by mistake. Just no need with all that torque and able to rip through gears so fast with the ZF.
Sponsored

Bigboss

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 civic FK7 sport, supra 3.0 premium
Gotta be hard to hit 1200 miles from getting it new and driving it only maybe once a week since its must people weekend car onlyšŸ˜­

Zoomie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2005 RSX, 2021 4Runner, 2023 GR Supra 3.0MT
I'm hoping my car will arrive this week. I plan to follow the break-in period as prescribed by the BMWToyota manual. I did the same with my Evo and never had any engine or drivetrain issues.

My takeaway from this thread is that engine break-in is like any other risky behaviour; you can spend your whole life being super healthy and still get cancer or a heart attack. Meanwhile people are sky diving and eating a Big Mac three meals a day and live to 90. Nothing is guaranteed, but you can help your odds by doing the break-in as BMW intends.

The break-in period is just a grown-up version of the Stanford Marshmallow experiment!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I'm hoping my car will arrive this week. I plan to follow the break-in period as prescribed by the BMWToyota manual. I did the same with my Evo and never had any engine or drivetrain issues.

My takeaway from this thread is that engine break-in is like any other risky behaviour; you can spend your whole life being super healthy and still get cancer or a heart attack. Meanwhile people are sky diving and eating a Big Mac three meals a day and live to 90. Nothing is guaranteed, but you can help your odds by doing the break-in as BMW intends.

The break-in period is just a grown-up version of the Stanford Marshmallow experiment!
I was thinking the same way. I learned a long time ago that lifting weights to your max on a consistent basis is risky behavior. In fact, pushing anything to its max all the time is bound to shorten its life.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was thinking the same way. I learned a long time ago that lifting weights to your max on a consistent basis is risky behavior. In fact, pushing anything to its max all the time is bound to shorten its life.
True for almost everything. However this car is built & tested for it. Hence why I bought it. If it was to have any problems, going slow and finding them early is smart. For me, getting on the track and finding what is going to break is inevitable. Iā€™d do the same thing with Mazda or Porsche. As most track peeps do. We are an odd bunch no doubt.

I do go slow with my other cars becauseā€¦ why not. Nothing wrong with that. But out of curiosity, have any B58 engines blown or failed during this ā€œbreak inā€ period from tracking? I havenā€™t seen any post on the subject. Iā€™m on a BMW track forum as well. Iā€™ve seen an oil thread about adding oil. My car doesnā€™t do that. Thereā€™s another thread about throttle hesitation. Mine doesnā€™t do that either. I do know a lot of Supra track buddies (and fellow BMW B58 track peeps). We love these engines. Our problems are self induced and not related to using the car during the ā€œbreak in period.ā€œ This thing reminds me of my MX5. Durable as hell.

So if itā€™s your home car, do the break in. Feel good about it. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to use that free track day Toyota gives you (knows about and endorses), do that too. You wonā€™t be sorry/wrong either way.

https://tuningpro.co/bmw-b58-ultimate-engine-guide/

Just one of many companies that use these engines straight from factory. Some things to look for above ā˜

Last edited:

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT

WELL SAID.

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
As someone that is on his second MKV for oil issues, I did the proper break-in, admittedly with full bolt-ons. Sounded good pre-4500 rpm's. Now that I'm over 1200 with an oil change, full WOT!

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True for almost everything. However this car is built & tested for it. Hence why I bought it. If it was to have any problems, going slow and finding them early is smart. For me, getting on the track and finding what is going to break is inevitable. Iā€™d do the same thing with Mazda or Porsche. As most track peeps do. We are an odd bunch no doubt.

I do go slow with my other cars becauseā€¦ why not. Nothing wrong with that. But out of curiosity, have any B58 engines blown or failed during this ā€œbreak inā€ period from tracking? I havenā€™t seen any post on the subject. Iā€™m on a BMW track forum as well. Iā€™ve seen an oil thread about adding oil. My car doesnā€™t do that. Thereā€™s another thread about throttle hesitation. Mine doesnā€™t do that either. I do know a lot of Supra track buddies (and fellow BMW B58 track peeps). We love these engines. Our problems are self induced and not related to using the car during the ā€œbreak in period.ā€œ This thing reminds me of my MX5. Durable as hell.

So if itā€™s your home car, do the break in. Feel good about it. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to use that free track day Toyota gives you (knows about and endorses), do that too. You wonā€™t be sorry/wrong either way.

https://tuningpro.co/bmw-b58-ultimate-engine-guide/

Just one of many companies that use these engines straight from factory. Some things to look for above ā˜
Good thoughts. I would think that serious track car owners don't also daily drive/commute with) them and rack up over 100,000 miles during ownership. So some issues that tend to occur later, may not be evident with much lower miles are on the odometer. I read somewhere that track miles should be multiplied by a certain factor to arrive at the equivalent street miles, as far as drivetrain longevity goes.

Mk5Gio

First Name
Gio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra
I did downpipe, jb4, lowering springs, etc... with 90 miles on the dash. Started racing it instantly vs a 2 port supra. 20k miles later and car is still fine.

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
My 2023 had 21 miles when I took delivery. On the paperwork they had "6". I would bet the tech on the PDI took it for a drive, which is OK, because I know him from the Subaru club when we both has WRX STI's. At least he took the spacers out of the coilovers!

I have another 200 before I hit 1200. I have bracked 4500 once or tice but nothing crazy. I had 2 Corvettes mess with me yesterday and was pissed I could not give them the business!

IMG_2608.jpg

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good thoughts. I would think that serious track car owners don't also daily drive/commute with) them and rack up over 100,000 miles during ownership. So some issues that tend to occur later, may not be evident with much lower miles are on the odometer. I read somewhere that track miles should be multiplied by a certain factor to arrive at the equivalent street miles, as far as drivetrain longevity goes.
True! However that free track day wonā€™t do any harm. It takes a lot of track days/experience to really get her up to burning through consumables. So enjoy the hell out of her, if thatā€™s what you want to do. This car is that much fun, promise.

We have one of the few cars that can track on a consistent basis while keeping cost down. Mazdas last forever on track. Porsche, with a lot of maintenance, can be a long time track friend w/out replacing the engine. A lot of guys keep their engines well over 100k miles (BMW with our engine included) with regular track use. So unless you money shift, do something really stupid, or start adding HP, I donā€™t see why I canā€™t do the same with mine šŸ˜Š

Last edited:

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True! However that free track day wonā€™t do any harm. It takes a lot of track days/experience to really get her up to burning through consumables. So enjoy the hell out of her, if thatā€™s what you want to do. This car is that much fun, promise.

We have one of the few cars that can track on a consistent basis while keeping cost down. Mazdas last forever on track. Porsche, with a lot of maintenance, can be a long time track friend w/out replacing the engine. A lot of guys keep their engines well over 100k miles (BMW with our engine included) with regular track use. So unless you money shift, do something really stupid, or start adding HP, I donā€™t see why I canā€™t do the same with mine šŸ˜Š
That's good to know, thanks. But I think I'll buy new and break it in according to the owner's manual. That being said, I must also mention that I bought my 08 MX5 when it was 4 years old. At its current 66,000 miles of use, it is still running well.

MDRN2JZ

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 3.0 premium
I think about the metal flakes in the oil during break-in. Others have confirmed their presence during the first oil-change. I'm at the 1000 mile mark and seriously thinking about changing at 1200.
There is no way reason to change the oil till next service, itā€™s a modern vehicle, and itā€™s synthetic oil. When I changed mine at 5000 It looked brand new. No darkening, nor was their any debris.

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
There is no way reason to change the oil till next service, itā€™s a modern vehicle, and itā€™s synthetic oil. When I changed mine at 5000 It looked brand new. No darkening, nor was their any debris.
Oil, brake & diff fluid. Mine gets nastier quicker. Mainly track miles, high humidity, sea level, over 100 degrees Fahrenheit on the tarmac. Yet, I donā€™t even have a dipstick to check my oil šŸ˜­

Yes I probably could do the Blackrock/stone or whatever oil diagnostic people do who have problems or love looking at it. To each their own. I love mashing the gas pedal to the floor, rip through the gears and brake as hard as I can for 2-3 days in a row twice a month (on track).

I love being facetious btw and welcome to the club amigo!
Sponsored

Last edited: