Built-in super capacitor?

DavesMK2JZ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold 1984MK2JZ
So I’ve got some leftover components was thinking about throwing a sub in the supra and somebody told me that I don’t need to bother putting a capacitor in because the Supra already has one built-in does anyone know if this is true?
Sponsored

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
ummm.... I'm not an expert.. and I don't know your application - how much of "WATTS" you want to run.. but I'd guess "NO".

you will need to at least know how much power you want to run before asking this question.

however, looks like you want to use much more powerful subwoofer than what was already supplied. Most cars are equipped with sufficient power units just enough and a bit more for stock system. Capacitor is necessary if you are going to run the audio system which demands much more power than stock system is using.

OP
OP
DavesMK2JZ

DavesMK2JZ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold 1984MK2JZ
So you don’t know if the car has a built in capacitor to aid in the auto start.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I do not know but most likely, "No". Here's the reason. one of the criteria for auto start/stop is how much battery is charged. If capacitor is present, this probably is not the case. like I stated before, you need to know how much power you want to draw out for your amp/subwoofer setup.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
Not sure this helps at all, but input a 15” sub in and power it off an amp that gives the sub 750 watts (rms) and it work fine. So, what you’re proposing maybe isn’t necessary (dunno).
Sponsored