Headlights Off while in motion

kevenv

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra 3.0 MT
Put some electrical tape on the auto headlamp LED? Could probably cut out a tiny piece if you want it to be clean.
Trimmed to fit. This would be me lol. Too bad it couldn't be programmed to a different color/intensity.

OP
OP
Patina

Patina

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Nitro Yellow
I can confirm that you cannot turn off headlights while driving. I wanted this feature. Looked into a kill switch, never got around to it
I did not use the words kill switch. I am looking for a way to turn on and off my headlights for a legal manner. I do not condone excessive speeds on public roadways. Mexico on the other hand....

Put some electrical tape on the auto headlamp LED? Could probably cut out a tiny piece if you want it to be clean.
Honestly, I don't even use the auto headlamps at all since I just keep the manual lights on 24/7. They turn off when the car is locked, so it's not a huge deal for me, but it does keep my 4th brake light illuminated. Only time I ever use auto mode is when I want the auto high beams.

Trimmed to fit. This would be me lol. Too bad it couldn't be programmed to a different color/intensity.
The entire god damned gauge cluster is a shit show. If you use the dimmer, it lowers the gauges, but also all of the other interior lighting like the buttons and the overhead. Raise the brightness for the interior, and get flashbanged by the white gauges.

Need a separate dimmer switch just for the gauge cluster, or stick it in the iDrive.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Wait.. you can't flash your high beams in this car? Here in Australia that's how we signal other drivers to warn them they are approaching police or speed cameras.

Is that not a thing in the US?
It used to be but I don’t see it too much anymore.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Is there a bimmercode option buried somewhere to allow us to turn off the headlights on and off while already in motion? I live in the suburbs and it's getting annoying seeing more and more people driving with their DRLs only, and the car refuses to let me turn on/off the headlights to signal they're an idiot...
I agree and heard something interesting. On a lot of newer cars the dash will light even if the driver does not turn on the headlights. This may be some (most) of the reason why you’re seeing people driving around with just their DRL’s. Blame the manufacturers for this unintended consequence. Unfortunately the wrongful death lawsuits from people dying from not seeing cars at night (no tail lights either) may be the only way to go back to how dashboards used to work.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I agree and heard something interesting. On a lot of newer cars the dash will light even if the driver does not turn on the headlights. This may be some (most) of the reason why you’re seeing people driving around with just their DRL’s. Blame the manufacturers for this unintended consequence. Unfortunately the wrongful death lawsuits from people dying from not seeing cars at night (no tail lights either) may be the only way to go back to how dashboards used to work.
Well many new dashboards are some form of a screen.. You can't turn it off only dim it.
I'm pretty sure it's the regulations that force them to do so. So just dim it.. Change to less information screen...
You can turn off center display and that's the most distracting one..
Maybe you guys need to invest in driving glasses.. And other people need to learn the dim button or dim settings in infotainment...

Most new cars have auto headlights. They're either turned off accidentally or service or valet turned them off. Or I guess sensitive eyes...or other issues like green light sensitivity 😂
They're there for safety n convenience..

The idiots who don't realize their headlights are off should be thrown into jail.

All US should mandate CA or TUV type annual check-up for safety systems.
Missing or dangling mirrors, add dangling exhaust just for fun. Not functioning or blown bulbs. Bald tires and brakes....

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
All US should mandate CA or TUV type annual check-up for safety systems.
Missing or dangling mirrors, add dangling exhaust just for fun. Not functioning or blown bulbs. Bald tires and brakes....
Plus mandatory retesting for age and stupidity.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I'll be honest, I don't really understand this thread. Why would you want to turn your lights off while driving? If you want to signal someone, just give them a flash of high beams. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

Does OP actually want to drive without headlights on?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I'll be honest, I don't really understand this thread. Why would you want to turn your lights off while driving? If you want to signal someone, just give them a flash of high beams. đŸ€·â€â™‚ïž

Does OP actually want to drive without headlights on?
No! How dare you! He wants to warn people and believes that signaling is only increasing the brightness of headlamp thus wants to be able to turn off the light completely for a split second only to turn it on back again to signal that on comer have their lights off!
And the green indicator on the dash is blindingly bright!

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Name a use case.
Driving through my neighborhood at 3am after car meets. Times you’ve got to move the car, but don’t particularly want everyone else to notice you.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Driving through my neighborhood at 3am after car meets. Times you’ve got to move the car, but don’t particularly want everyone else to notice you.
That's ridiculous.. Drive-by shootings or quick bank robbery getaways is more reasonable. 😂

Last edited: