Butterflies, bugs

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2018 4Runner Limited
Did a long trip today, and the bugs were out in masses. What's the easiest way to get them off the radiator and or condenser.
20210912_202237.jpg
Sponsored

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Did a long trip today, and the bugs were out in masses. What's the easiest way to get them off the radiator and or condenser.
20210912_202237.jpg
You murderer...

Pressure wash them into oblivion. Pretty much the only way without taking the front bumper cover off and picking them out one by one.

OP
OP
Ivan27

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You murderer...

Pressure wash them into oblivion. Pretty much the only way without taking the front bumper cover off and picking them out one by one.
Yeah, got a pressure washer, I'll surely not use high pressure, low pressure so I don't flub up the radiator. Thinking bout fabricating some type of screen to slip on for long trips.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Pressure wash more than likely may push them into the fins, allowing less air thru and possibly damaging the fins along the way if directly applied. Not easy to do it at an angle unless you remove things.
Compressed air on an angle would be better imho. There are also chemicals for it bug remover etc..

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
You're going to have to pick it off one by one without distorting the shape of the fins. It's tedious work. I would not use high pressure to clean it as direct hit will push the crap deeper info the fins as xtreme noted above.

OP
OP
Ivan27

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So, when the engine hood is up I see that long blk panel up front. If I remove it well it give me better access to get the darn bugs off. Looks like there would be alot of room to get in there?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So, when the engine hood is up I see that long blk panel up front. If I remove it well it give me better access to get the darn bugs off. Looks like there would be alot of room to get in there?
Yup, but it's a little bit of a bitch to remove. There's a ton of 13mm's and a few 10mms that are covered by the bumper. I dremeled the bumper to access those bolts so I don't remove the bumper. It's all really well hidden, so it's not to nasty.

OP
OP
Ivan27

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yup, but it's a little bit of a bitch to remove. There's a ton of 13mm's and a few 10mms that are covered by the bumper. I dremeled the bumper to access those bolts so I don't remove the bumper. It's all really well hidden, so it's not to nasty.
Forget that, I'm going to tackle this from the front.

Attachments

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
You just need your own colony of dermestid beetles. They strip flesh off of corpses and are often used in museums to prepare skeletons for study and display.

just get a colony and pack them in. They eat insects as well.

And y’all thought biologist had nothing useful to say on a Supra forum.

OP
OP
Ivan27

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How about a shop vac with a crevice tool attachment?
Crevice tool wouldn't go between the plastic to get back there. I used light air, and hose with nozzle. A few off the fines on the upper what ever, I think trans cooler flattened a little. What ever that little rectangle cooler is, dosen't take to much to hurt it.

OP
OP
Ivan27

Ivan27

First Name
Constantine
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay, I've figured this out. The two little square coolers on the far left and right are the oil coolers, and the little rectangle one in front of radiator is the trans cooler. Am I correct on this.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Forget that, I'm going to tackle this from the front.
For the bumper cleaning, check this out: not the best video, but gives you alternatives
Sponsored