California Tinting laws

eyeye96

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Hey guys,

I want to get my windows tinted and want to understand the tinting laws in Cali. I know that there is no restriction on the rear windshield. But what about the side windows? I read online that only 70% tint is allowed but that feels like a waste of money considering it hardly makes any difference.

Did anyone tint the side windows of their supra and with what percentage did you go for? I really do not want to get pulled over for window tint. I have a red one and was pulled over for doing 64 on a 55 road. So I do want to play safe.
Sponsored

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Tint darkness for sedans:
  • Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
  • Front Side windows: Aftermarket film must allow more than 88% of light in, or minimum 70% VLT if combined with factory-tinted windows.
  • Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used. Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.
Source: https://www.tinting-laws.com/california/
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

I had all my windows tinted with Hüper Optik Autobahn I3 Ceramic film. I went with 22%VLT (66%TSER) for the rear, and 40%VLT (60%TSER) for sides and full front. This film is not as dark as cheaper brands and it offers better heat rejection. I have had CHP and cops pass me and not bothered me at all.

See the table at the bottom of this page for an idea about how dark this film is:

If you are interested in locating a dealer:
https://www.huperoptikusa.com/contact-us/find-a-dealer/

Rob_Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue
Reality is:

1987 Supra
2006 350Z
2005 Scion TC
2009 G37
2015 Mustang GT
2016 Subaru Forester
2016 Toyota Mirai

All cars I had tint all around, only one I got pulled over with was the 87 Supra but that was also because I had a realllly loud exhaust on it and I got a warning for the tint.

Drakov

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Supra
I try to avoid attention these days but still need tint... i used to do 5% all around when I was younger and never had an issue except in VA. Only reason I was in the state was to trade in a car...

Below is what is on the Supra...
Tint used Solargard Vortex IR, it's a ceramic tint
Front windshield is 70%
Side windows 55%
Rear window 15%

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
generally speaking i find cops dont care unless you are hooning around, then its just another thing for them to tag you with.

That being said i run 30% fronts with 20% triangles and rear. The light front and darker back give off the illusion that the fronts are stock or at least close. In direct sunlight you can see inside the car no problem so cops arent as willing to just pull you over for that.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
I've never had an issue here in Ca with tint and exhaust, tbh. With that being said, I did go 35% in the front and regret it, because it's still too light, should have gone 20%. The only I ever got shit was in Va as well because loud exhaust and popped me for tint like 12 years ago in my SRT4, lol.
Sponsored