Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
Yup. You don't "beat" on it, but you allow the car to fully warm up, let's say 10 minutes or so of careful driving, low loads, short shifting, etc. Then on an on-ramp you give it full throttle through a few gears. Let's say 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Then on the interstate itself you cruise, going through all the gears, just letting everything cool down for a few miles. Then maybe another 3rd or 4th gear pull before you get off an exit and using manual downshifts, do lots of engine braking. Then get back on the interstate the other way, and do the same thing. Then cruise gently back home, let everything cool and settle down before you park it and shut it off. Do that a few times and everything is nicely seated and broken in. I've done this method with every new car I've owned and I've never had an issue with any engine. Inline 4 turbo, inline 6 turbo, boxer 4 turbo, rotaries, V6, all have been perfect from buying to selling.
In a few cases, I've gone up in oil weight. Supra has 5W-30, my rotaries got 5W-30, and my boxers 5W-40.
Good to know. I donā€™t know anything about breaking a car in. What you are saying does make sense though. I feel for people that have these issues.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Good to know. I donā€™t know anything about breaking a car in. What you are saying does make sense though. I feel for people that have these issues.
Yeah, me too. Same thing was a huge issue with Subaru STI and WRX. Lots of oil issues. And most were with cars that were babied during break-in. The point is to drive it hard, but not abuse it. Doing burnouts and donuts obviously won't do an engine any good. And I have a feeling some people do exactly that, and then wonder why their engine needs replaced.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I just saw another 2021 owner complain of this on the Facebook group page.
I hope they are reporting them to Toyota and getting it documented. That said, out of thousands of cars sold, it appears only a handful of folks are having this issue and being vocal about it. So while this looks awful on the surface, the reality "might" be that it's a tiny percentage of cars affected. Regardless, this is clearly an issue with some of the 21s and I hope folks make enough noise that it actually gets proper attention.

As an owner of a 21, I too am monitoring the hell out of this. I have 850 miles on mine currently and so far, so good. It's killing me too as I have an AA catted downpipe and JB4 sitting here ready to go but im not installing them until im confident I don't have the oil issue.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What is the manufacture date on you guy's 21's? I dont know if its true, but I did see someone mention it seems to be an issue with models that were manufactured late in 2020.

Looks like the OP has had his since August so I am not sure how true it is. I dont know if his would qualify as a "late" model.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
10/20 for mine. No issues thus far but its too early to tell still. Ill update after 1k, 1500 etc.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
B48 here, just about to hit 10k for the first service, just now got the low oil notification. At about the 4.5k-ish mark I was at about 3/4 I think. Will mention it when it gets serviced this weekend for sure.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I had the same issue you are experiencing. Burning crazy quantities of oil. Head tech scoped the cylinders and found scoring on my cylinder walls. Toyota replaced the motor at 4100 miles.
Sorry to hear that man. You might be the guy that Glenn had told me about if you're in Jax. Just curious which dealer locally did the service on yours and have you been happy with the service dept?

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope they are reporting them to Toyota and getting it documented. That said, out of thousands of cars sold, it appears only a handful of folks are having this issue and being vocal about it. So while this looks awful on the surface, the reality "might" be that it's a tiny percentage of cars affected. Regardless, this is clearly an issue with some of the 21s and I hope folks make enough noise that it actually gets proper attention.

As an owner of a 21, I too am monitoring the hell out of this. I have 850 miles on mine currently and so far, so good. It's killing me too as I have an AA catted downpipe and JB4 sitting here ready to go but im not installing them until im confident I don't have the oil issue.

The crappy part for me is it seems like some people arent realizing they have the issue until they are at around 10,000 miles. Where this is a weekend/date night car with my wife it will probably take us 2 years to hit that mark. Good thing the powertrain warranty covers 5 years.

Last edited:

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B48 here, just about to hit 10k for the first service, just now got the low oil notification. At about the 4.5k-ish mark I was at about 3/4 I think. Will mention it when it gets serviced this weekend for sure.
I dont know jack about cars so forgive me in advance. Would low oil at 10K miles be okay? Thats about when it is due for service so to me that might actually make sense? Someone smarter than me feel free to take it from here:D

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
The crappy part for me is it seems like some people arent realizing they have he issue until they are at around 10,000 miles. Where this is a weekend/date night car with my wife it will probably take us 2 years to hit that mark. Good thing the powertrain warranty covers 5 years.
Yeah that definitely is a different scenario than what I live and I never considered that side of it. Man I hope folks that are experiencing this are actually reporting it.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah that definitely is a different scenario than what I live and I never considered that side of it. Man I hope folks that are experiencing this are actually reporting it.

That is what is irritating me about it on the FB group. Seems like 80% of the people on there are just adding oil whenever it tells them to. I mean if they have tuned or modded their car its possible Toyota wouldnt cover it under warranty anyways but still....

I feel like there is going to be a lot of second hand buyers out there who get burned by the previous owner just masking the problem. If I have this issue its going to the dealership every single time. I want it documented and fixed. I plan to keep this car for a very long time and If that means they need to replace the motor or car all together for me to do so then so be it.

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
That is what is irritating me about it on the FB group. Seems like 80% of the people on there are just adding oil whenever it tells them to. I mean if they have tuned or modded their car its possible Toyota wouldnt cover it under warranty anyways but still....

I feel like there is going to be a lot of second hand buyers out there who get burned by the previous owner just masking the problem. If I have this issue its going to the dealership every single time. I want it documented and fixed. I plan to keep this car for a very long time and If that means they need to replace the motor or car all together for me to do so then so be it.
I'm right there with ya. I'm keeping this baby forever so I want it documented and fixed (if I happen to have the issue). I'm only a month and a half into owning mine but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't run into the issue. Rest assured that if I do, it's going to Toyota immediately for documentation and fixing.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
So this was just posted online. What the hell do most of these questions have to do with anything? Maybe I am looking at it wrong but it seems like maybe some of those are geared to try and place blame back on the owner of the car?....Iā€™m probably just paranoid but you can never be too careful.
I think you're being a little paranoid as most of this is building out the data for opening the case. None of those would be grounds for warranty voids (but I would definitely omit racetracks :D ).
Sponsored