Car excessively burning oil?

Is your car excessively burning oil?

• Total voters

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Oh wow i'm surprised. I checked my oil when i got home and mine seemed fine. Even though you did one extra track day than me i cant imagine it would have made that much of a difference but i could be wrong.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Oh wow i'm surprised. I checked my oil when i got home and mine seemed fine. Even though you did one extra track day than me i cant imagine it would have made that much of a difference but i could be wrong.
I've zero track days on mine... ;) but after reading a few too many oil consumption posts and comments elsewhere I figured I should check mine since I'm close to my next change (~6.5K miles since last change) and oil is right at the top line still. I'd definitely expect more loss under heavy track use... but that much in two days still seems abnormal.

Osiris_Y2K

First Name
Brighton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Supra Phantom
I got my 2021 Supra back in August and I've been driving it a lot ever since then I've racked up around 7100 miles, around the 4000 mark I had a notification that the oil was low I assumed it was just because of the break in period but in getting the notification that it's low on oil again.

I don't drive my car to hard I've definitely had spirited drives but last night heading home I got the notification that it's low again around 7,890 anyone know what this could be?

JustaCarguy.

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 WRX Hatchback
I check mine today it showed at the mid point between min and max with 1,535 miles. I found other past post showing this

link.https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-Engine-Oil/

BMW Oil Consumption
BMW engines are designed to consume some oil and there are factory-authorized guidelines for how much is considered normal. In order for the oil to reach critical areas it's normal for some of it to make it's way into the combustion chamber and be burned up with the air/fuel mixture. If your BMW engine is consuming/burning oil, do not panic. It could be normal operation. Side note: Leaks and consumption are not the same thing. Oil leaks may also be a "normal" fact of BMW life but they should still be properly repaired or diagnosed. Below is a table outlining accepted oil consumption for BMW engines (data is from BMW).

BMW Engine CodeNormal Oil Consumption
B-series turbo engines (B46, B58)1 liter per 1,500 miles
N-series 4/6-cylinder turbo engines (N20, N55, etc)1 liter per 1,500 miles
N-series non-turbo engines (N52, N62, etc)1 liter per 1,500 miles
N-series V8/V12 turbo engines (N63, N74, etc)1 liter per 750 miles
M-series non-turbo engines (M54, M52, etc)1 liter per 750 miles
S-series Motorsport engines (S54, S55, S65, etc)2.5 liters per 1,000 miles

Engine Break-in. Oil consumption will be higher in the initial life of an engine. This is known as the break-in period. All of the moving parts have not yet seated in their final positions and gaps and clearances may be greater than normal. The break-in period varies by engine but BMW advises not to be concerned with oil consumption in the first 10,000 miles. Break-in times may be less depending on use and care.
Grabbed this from another thread. Don't know if that will help, but I've seen a few other people on here complaining about the 21my burning through oil. BMW faced a class action lawsuit because of oil consumption issues a few years ago. ?ā€ā™‚

Last edited:

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Grabbed this from another thread. Don't know if that will help, but I've seen a few other people on here complaining about the 21my burning through oil. BMW faced a class action lawsuit because of oil consumption issues a few years ago. ?ā€ā™‚
that chart doesn't seem right. that's excessive. If so, poorly designed motors by BMW.........

Last edited:

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
that chart doesn't see right. that's excessive. If so, poorly designed motors by BMW.........
Right? Those are close to rotary engine oil burning figures....

Supra Bird

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium Phantom
I had the same issue you are experiencing. Burning crazy quantities of oil. Head tech scoped the cylinders and found scoring on my cylinder walls. Toyota replaced the motor at 4100 miles.

handsoffsam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
997.2 GT3, 2021 A91, 2008 S2K CR,
Just a point of data collection, I'd be curious to know what people's break-in procedures were for those burning oil out of spec? Not implying causation or that there's even a correlation, but it'd be interesting to look at that with respect to the consumption rate.

21Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium, Honda CRV Hybrid Touring
Just a point of data collection, I'd be curious to know what people's break-in procedures were for those burning oil out of spec? Not implying causation or that there's even a correlation, but it'd be interesting to look at that with respect to the consumption rate.
I donā€™t know if this is accurate, but on the FB group Iā€™m a part of it seems to be people who have followed their break in procedure by the book. Supposedly the people who ā€œbeatā€ on their car and drive them like they are meant to are having less issues.

I have no idea if itā€™s true or if those people are full of crap, but itā€™s interesting none the less. Im no mechanic by any means so I donā€™t know if being more aggressive makes everything actually seat properly or not.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I donā€™t know if this is accurate, but on the FB group Iā€™m a part of it seems to be people who have followed their break in procedure by the book. Supposedly the people who ā€œbeatā€ on their car and drive them like they are meant to are having less issues.

I have no idea if itā€™s true or if those people are full of crap, but itā€™s interesting none the less. Im no mechanic by any means so I donā€™t know if being more aggressive makes everything actually seat properly or not.
Yup. You don't "beat" on it, but you allow the car to fully warm up, let's say 10 minutes or so of careful driving, low loads, short shifting, etc. Then on an on-ramp you give it full throttle through a few gears. Let's say 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Then on the interstate itself you cruise, going through all the gears, just letting everything cool down for a few miles. Then maybe another 3rd or 4th gear pull before you get off an exit and using manual downshifts, do lots of engine braking. Then get back on the interstate the other way, and do the same thing. Then cruise gently back home, let everything cool and settle down before you park it and shut it off. Do that a few times and everything is nicely seated and broken in. I've done this method with every new car I've owned and I've never had an issue with any engine. Inline 4 turbo, inline 6 turbo, boxer 4 turbo, rotaries, V6, all have been perfect from buying to selling.
In a few cases, I've gone up in oil weight. Supra has 5W-30, my rotaries got 5W-30, and my boxers 5W-40.
Sponsored