zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You are seriously overthinking this.
Some people are data driven, and obsess over things like this. I'm one of those people. It's the data that's interesting and the conculsions that you can deduce from it. Has nothing to do with 'will my car be fine.'

I have hundreds of Excel sheets with my tuning logs in them, with graphs, tweaks to the tune, ambient temperatues, humidity levels, methanol/water mix, etc. I know it's going to be fine, but I can't handle not knowing whats going on.

We also are obsessive with budgeting, lawn care, excel sheets with all the local pizza and taco delivery joints - complete with order time, order size, quality, order duration, cost, etc. Some people just live like this, and it's fine.

It's not over thinking - it's just how we are. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sponsored

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Some people are data driven, and obsess over things like this. I'm one of those people. It's the data that's interesting and the conculsions that you can deduce from it. Has nothing to do with 'will my car be fine.'

I have hundreds of Excel sheets with my tuning logs in them, with graphs, tweaks to the tune, ambient temperatues, humidity levels, methanol/water mix, etc. I know it's going to be fine, but I can't handle not knowing whats going on.

We also are obsessive with budgeting, lawn care, excel sheets with all the local pizza and taco delivery joints - complete with order time, order size, quality, order duration, cost, etc. Some people just live like this, and it's fine.

When I went to buy my MKV - i busted out a spreadsheet in front of the salesman.

The salesman scoffed and I said "hey how am I supposed to make sure I can afford this car?"

I'm annoying but I'm not :hide:

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium

That's actually pretty awesome. I also obsess about some things. Just not exactly how much oil is in the car...

My OCD kicks in regarding symmetry, balance, and precision. If a gap is an inch on one side I will work for hours to ensure it's an inch on the other. Yes I've tweaked several panels around my hood already to get them to be as close to perfect as is humanly possible. Most of you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between the original and final results. And my wife is not allowed to ever hang a picture or put a sticker on anything. She can't get things straight, level or equally balanced (if more than one) to save her life.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Good advice. One point. Put a touch less in given the variance with measurement. If it needs 1 litre or qt put half and re-measure and add if needed.
Seriously, when the oil at minimum message pops up, put in a quart and go about your business. Being a little higher or lower than exactly 6.9 quarts (or 7 quarts if you're like me) is not going to make one bit of difference. You have to be significantly overfilled (as in multiple quarts) to run into problems. In fact, my previous Corvette actually told you to add an extra quart for track days. Same on the low side. As long as you aren't going to a track event where oil starvation during high-G turns can be an issue, cars can pretty much run forever being consistently a quart low.

Branflakes123

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Refraction Blue
That's actually pretty awesome. I also obsess about some things. Just not exactly how much oil is in the car...

My OCD kicks in regarding symmetry, balance, and precision. If a gap is an inch on one side I will work for hours to ensure it's an inch on the other. Yes I've tweaked several panels around my hood already to get them to be as close to perfect as is humanly possible. Most of you wouldn't be able to tell a difference between the original and final results. And my wife is not allowed to ever hang a picture or put a sticker on anything. She can't get things straight, level or equally balanced (if more than one) to save her life.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
So far I'm still at Max oil level. I have a 2021 at 3,000miles (only mod is catback exhaust - stock everything else and stock tune).

Driving habits: Did one track event and aggressive driving one weekend in the mountains. Other than that I drive it easy in the city.

I met a guy with a totally stock 2021 with 8,000+ miles he bought brand new last year. He had never heard of oil consumption issue when I asked him about it; he said he never got such a message. Only thing he did was that brake recall issue.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Read something interesting the other day. Chevrolet will be putting the new Z06 engine on a dyno before putting it in the car to make sure they all make the advertised power. The article said a 20 minute break in followed by the dyno run. Kinda makes a 1500 mile break in seem a little silly, huh?

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
Read something interesting the other day. Chevrolet will be putting the new Z06 engine on a dyno before putting it in the car to make sure they all make the advertised power. The article said a 20 minute break in followed by the dyno run. Kinda makes a 1500 mile break in seem a little silly, huh?
Yes….”break in” is a thing of the past.

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
I think this has been a common practice for high end performance engines for awhile.

"Factory break-in"

Many aren't even installed in the car. They're hooked up to a computer running performance tests to break it in exactly and then it's approved to be installed in the car.

I was quite surprised Porsche with the high revving 4.0 in the new GT3 doesn't come broken in from the factory.

SupraLeggera

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0
Well, well, well...

After 4k miles I have the infamous message.
PXL_20211129_224937495.jpg

What makes it dubious is the car has been in winter storage for 3 weeks and this was the reading back then.
PXL_20211106_204309275.jpg

Where did that oil go? There's no leak in the garage. Cold starting it? Or sensor/marker on the screen is very arbitrary?

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Well, well, well...

After 4k miles I have the infamous message.
PXL_20211129_224937495.jpg

What makes it dubious is the car has been in winter storage for 3 weeks and this was the reading back then.
PXL_20211106_204309275.jpg

Where did that oil go? There's no leak in the garage. Cold starting it? Or sensor/marker on the screen is very arbitrary?
The oil level reading in our cars is not infinitely variable. It drops in quarter increments. What you saw three weeks ago was not the exact level. It was the level that was closest to the last quarter mark. It was probably right on the border between the one quarter left increment and the at minimum/add quart increment. Three weeks later the reading is ever so slightly lower but now rounds down instead of up and you get the level at minimum/add quart result. Or, if you measured in a different location, it may not have been exactly as level as the other. You also had to drive a minimum amount before another measurement is possible and that could have dropped it just enough. Either way, not a big deal. Add a quart and don't lose any sleep over it!

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Yup 4K isn’t that bad. The oil will burn faster during break in as what BMW says.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)

Did someone say spreadsheet?

Don’t make me bust out mine with every tunable 2021 I found across the whole US when I was looking for one. I’ve shared it with a few people on here. ?

RJM

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
First time I had low oil was 2100 miles (MST intake installed at 1.2k miles). I added a QT and took it to Toyota the next day. They said no issue, and to ‘watch my oil on road-trips’ (the road trip in question was going to upstate NY from NYC). Second low oil warning at 4k miles about ( Catted Downpipe installed at around 3.2k miles I wanna say). I carry a QT in the car so I added another and opened another case with Toyota , said they will call in the next day.

what’s odd is , I was at the minimum level, added 1 QT and now I’m almost full? Does that make sense?

Also one thing in common, this happened when I drove 1.5 hours to NJ from NYC, and then on the 2hr drive back I had the low oil warning. Was driving Normal mode a lot but also definitely pushing the car alot on those empty highways. Would appreciate any input!
Sponsored

Attachments