• Total voters

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Damn you guys care more about my motor than I do....
Seriously... I have a pretty beefy warranty on it. I am technically still within spec for the oil consumption, and I think changing oil weight really only masks the problem. The car hasn't even hit it's first oil change yet, so once I slap the 10k miles mark, I will check for filter disintegration, and up the weight of the oil.

I test oil levels every time I park the car on a level surface after a drive, and let my engine idle a bit in the process after hard driving. I try and be diligent since I heard early on this would be a problem.

Really I could go down the path of building a relationship with a dealer, brining it in countless times to have them check the oil, and eventually they might offer me an engine replacement, but has ANYONE here actually gone down this path and kept the car afterwards? Seems like after that much work the car would never be the same, and lord knows your local dealership will be able to get that done quickly...

I'm just going to keep beating on it, modifying it, enjoying it, and caring for it until something major happens and I have to involve the warranty or insurance..

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
No it doesn't. The manual says you need to use 0W-20 C5 but can temporarily top up with at most 1 quart of 0W-30 SL/SM/SN:

Oil RTFM.png
It says that because of the EPA. They want that thin slosh in there for MPG reasons. Not protection. You're absolutely fine running a 0W-30 or in most cases, a 5W-30 oil.

Wackit

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium 3.0
I think I would advise someone who buys a new Supra to break it in hard, seems like you have nothing to lose. I was meticulous with break in on my car with only 5 miles on it. Drove 1250 miles at under 4000 rpm, always varying the speed. It needed 1 quart at 2500 miles and now yesterday at 5000 miles, another quart. I talked to someone in a parking lot that drove his 21 like a bat out of hell the from the day he got it, and oil level is good.
But then again I speak to some people who say they donā€™t have an issue, but change the oil every 2 or 3 thousand miles so how would they know?
My biggest complaint is Toyota/BMW wonā€™t recognize this issue. Talked to 3 different Toyota dealers (Certified Supra mechanics, and service writers) and they act like they don't know about this issue. Went to a BMW dealer and they say this is common on their cars and they just add more oil.
I just feel that if Toyota canā€™t fix this issue, they should offer every Supra owner a Extended warranty on the engine. That would make me happy. I love this car but I want to feel good about a car that you donā€™t need to add oil to on a regular basis.

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91/ Series Blue BRZ
Damn you guys care more about my motor than I do....
Seriously... I have a pretty beefy warranty on it. I am technically still within spec for the oil consumption, and I think changing oil weight really only masks the problem. The car hasn't even hit it's first oil change yet, so once I slap the 10k miles mark, I will check for filter disintegration, and up the weight of the oil.

I test oil levels every time I park the car on a level surface after a drive, and let my engine idle a bit in the process after hard driving. I try and be diligent since I heard early on this would be a problem.

Really I could go down the path of building a relationship with a dealer, brining it in countless times to have them check the oil, and eventually they might offer me an engine replacement, but has ANYONE here actually gone down this path and kept the car afterwards? Seems like after that much work the car would never be the same, and lord knows your local dealership will be able to get that done quickly...

I'm just going to keep beating on it, modifying it, enjoying it, and caring for it until something major happens and I have to involve the warranty or insurance..
I had my engine replaced around 7K on the ODO, Iā€™m sitting around 20K now. I was adding one quart of oil every 850-900 miles. I drive the car in sport and manual about 90% of the time. They found vertical scoring in the cylinders on the original engine. The oil consumption issue still persists with the new engine. Although the consumption rate is slightly slower. Theyā€™ve fixed nothing lol.

The car still feels amazing, new engine and all, even with itā€™s continued issue. If I bring it to Toyota Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll find the same vertical scoring. I plan on keeping the car for the refraction blue color. Iā€™ve consulted lemon law lawyers on my options, but donā€™t want a replacement unless itā€™s the same A91 model in refraction blue.

I have two friends with modified refraction blue A91s, and they donā€™t have the consumption issue. I plan on building the motor with new internals intended for more power, but itā€™ll be interesting to see what Toyota will offer as a finite resolution.

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
First time I had low oil was 2100 miles (MST intake installed at 1.2k miles). I added a QT and took it to Toyota the next day. They said no issue, and to ā€˜watch my oil on road-tripsā€™ (the road trip in question was going to upstate NY from NYC). Second low oil warning at 4k miles about ( Catted Downpipe installed at around 3.2k miles I wanna say). I carry a QT in the car so I added another and opened another case with Toyota , said they will call in the next day.

whatā€™s odd is , I was at the minimum level, added 1 QT and now Iā€™m almost full? Does that make sense?

Also one thing in common, this happened when I drove 1.5 hours to NJ from NYC, and then on the 2hr drive back I had the low oil warning. Was driving Normal mode a lot but also definitely pushing the car alot on those empty highways. Would appreciate any input!
excuse this super late reply but Iā€™ve been off the forum for a while. Have you had any issues with Toyota taking notice of your aftermarket mods? Any talk of voided warranties and the like?

Lemmy

First Name
Emran
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0
excuse this super late reply but Iā€™ve been off the forum for a while. Have you had any issues with Toyota taking notice of your aftermarket mods? Any talk of voided warranties and the like?
no words about voided warranty or anything like that.
Any update on your situation with the engine ?

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
no words about voided warranty or anything like that.
Any update on your situation with the engine ?
right on. The oil consumption rate Has changed from one quart every 850-900 miles to one quart every 1200 miles now. Consulting lemon law lawyer for options. Iā€™d really like them to just offer a amount of cash back and just build the internals. But weā€™ll see.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
right on. The oil consumption rate Has changed from one quart every 850-900 miles to one quart every 1200 miles now. Consulting lemon law lawyer for options. Iā€™d really like them to just offer a amount of cash back and just build the internals. But weā€™ll see.
BMW does say that oil burn rate may be higher during break in

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW does say that oil burn rate may be higher during break in

Iā€™m fully aware. But in relation to others who have the exact same A91 model, theyā€™re not experiencing the oil consumption issue. I have 15k miles on the new motor. I think itā€™s broken in.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Iā€™m fully aware. But in relation to others who have the exact same A91 model, theyā€™re not experiencing the oil consumption issue. I have 15k miles on the new motor. I think itā€™s broken in.
Thanks for sharing. Don't think I would go this route as it's just too much work and pain. Don't want my baby stuck in the dealership service area for months... and then going down the lemon law route would just suck any remaining energy out of me. I'll just keep adding oil. Will up my oil weight soon and see if that slows things down.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Thanks for sharing. Don't think I would go this route as it's just too much work and pain. Don't want my baby stuck in the dealership service area for months... and then going down the lemon law route would just suck any remaining energy out of me. I'll just keep adding oil. Will up my oil weight soon and see if that slows things down.
So you basically are going to let the manufacturers fuck you in the ass. This is how these companies win and get away with shit

Skull03

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, the vehicle was down for about 2 and a half months. Not a great experience at all. Until thereā€™s some sort of resolution for my particular situation, Iā€™m doing the same, adding oil and enjoying it. Best of luck to you.
Sponsored