• Total voters

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So you basically are going to let the manufacturers fuck you in the ass. This is how these companies win and get away with shit
I guess ??‍♂

I don’t see it that way, it’s just a big pain in the ass with no real resolution. I guess I could have them swap in a 2020 two-port motor? Seems like there is no winning, even if I make the “big bad corporation” spend more money on my car and acknowledge the issues.

Until there is a big recall and the definitive fix to stop oil consumption on these new engines, I really don’t have a choice.
Sponsored

O Haiii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TOYOTA
2022 while too small of a sample size looking promising so far. It would suck if 2021 ends up being the only MY car to have the oil consumption issue....

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
Latest update for me.

Oil changed at 2500 miles on car and I used 5w-30. First add oil message came on at 5200 miles (so 2700 miles on oil for those bad at math). Now I am at 6500 miles and its getting low again. Still no add oil message but getting low. This is also after 4 days of auto-x. I was really hoping to make it to 7500 miles but I dont think its going to happen since I have another 2 days of auto-x that should happen before I hit 7500 miles. Summary of story, my oil consumption seems to be getting worse but still very acceptable.

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Latest update for me.

Oil changed at 2500 miles on car and I used 5w-30. First add oil message came on at 5200 miles (so 2700 miles on oil for those bad at math). Now I am at 6500 miles and its getting low again. Still no add oil message but getting low. This is also after 4 days of auto-x. I was really hoping to make it to 7500 miles but I dont think its going to happen since I have another 2 days of auto-x that should happen before I hit 7500 miles. Summary of story, my oil consumption seems to be getting worse but still very acceptable.
what year are you?, my guy

mokleen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
2022 while too small of a sample size looking promising so far. It would suck if 2021 ends up being the only MY car to have the oil consumption issue....
uh it would be wonderful - then Toyota just has to fix one generation - less money. stop with this crabs in a barrel mentality

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
My update...
2021..added 3qts of oil before 5000 miles..
Oil change at 5000 miles. Now at 8500 and ZERO oil added. I am about a 1/2qt low but believe I'll make the 10k mark when I'll change the oil again.
This is all with Toyota 0-20.
Car has also been tuned (mhd) for about the last 2000 miles.

Steve

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow 3.0 Prem, RIP to my E92 M3
Its actually normal for bmw engines to burn oil, after 10,000 miles it should get better. I have a 2021 Supra 3.0 premium and I burn oil but not excessively.
Yeah, my E92 burned a quart every 1500 for 155,000 miles. Do the math, I added over 100 quarts to that engine in 13 years. Friend's late model M5 burned a quart every 900, BMW took it apart twice and then told him not to come back anymore and refused any further warranty service on the issue. He later sold it to a friend of ours, it's now at 90k, working fine, same oil burn. My Supra is only at 300 miles since I got it Tues, so we'll see, but my E46s both burned it too (one only took a quart every 2-3k). It's such a well documented thing, but you always get people saying "my BMW didn't burn oil!!!!" like well, great for you, but all it takes is a google search to see how common this has been across BMW model years in the last decade and a half.

You'll have to get lucky with your dealership unless the oil burn is EGREGIOUS, the whole point of BMW, Audi, et al. saying that is so they don't have to bother with it unless it's out of spec.

I guess ??‍♂

I don’t see it that way, it’s just a big pain in the ass with no real resolution. I guess I could have them swap in a 2020 two-port motor? Seems like there is no winning, even if I make the “big bad corporation” spend more money on my car and acknowledge the issues.

Until there is a big recall and the definitive fix to stop oil consumption on these new engines, I really don’t have a choice.
Unfortunately correct.

For those musing about litigation - I'm an attorney myself and previously represented many many large companies. If you think you can make them do anything, or care, let me know who your drug dealer is because that's some good shit. Anything short of 50M they won't even notify upper management about, it just goes into the lit/settlement budget for the year. No one will report anything to anyone of importance, nothing happens. If, for some reason, you manage to get their spend high enough in a lawsuit and get a new engine, you're out of your mind if you think they'll take that back to someone and say "we should think about redesigning the powerplant." They pay you your paltry low 5 figs plus labor and no one at that company will make a single decision based on your lawsuit ever, until the end of time. You win your lemon law case, fine, you get your money back, no one will ever think about you again. You aren't sticking it to anyone, you're just buying another car from someone else. If you wanna do that, more power to you, but don't lie to yourself about what you're doing.

I've litigated on behalf of a lot of very large corporations and I don't think people really understand how far away from the ground almost every decision is made. Shit, last year we got a ~200MM verdict against a large computer corporation and they just paid out 70M to settle out of the verdict and their stock went up. They do not care.

tl;dr you can do whatever you want but this is a very low volume car and no one is going to "make Toyota or BMW" do anything. BMW has sold far higher volume cars that Hoover down oil as fast as these and they're still doin' it. Try your fixes or whatever, find something that works, lemon law your car if you want, but this "we have the power!" stuff is a pipe dream.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I'm approaching 10,000 miles, and aside from one full quart added by 4000 miles, not any detected loss since 4000. My fun theory is the VIR track day fixed the issue. Car is also not smoking out the exhaust at stop lights anymore. I doubt I'll even check the oil level more than once every 2000 miles now, and eventually just trust the sensor to warn me.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I've litigated on behalf of a lot of very large corporations and I don't think people really understand how far away from the ground almost every decision is made. Shit, last year we got a ~200MM verdict against a large computer corporation and they just paid out 70M to settle out of the verdict and their stock went up. They do not care.
I've said this over and over- I don't understand why anyone would think that 9-10 figure companies give a shit about any of this. Hell, given the market these days, corporations are happy if the stock stays stable. No one in these corporations gives a fuck about anything but stock price, and it takes serious damage to affect that.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yeah, my E92 burned a quart every 1500 for 155,000 miles. Do the math, I added over 100 quarts to that engine in 13 years. Friend's late model M5 burned a quart every 900, BMW took it apart twice and then told him not to come back anymore and refused any further warranty service on the issue. He later sold it to a friend of ours, it's now at 90k, working fine, same oil burn. My Supra is only at 300 miles since I got it Tues, so we'll see, but my E46s both burned it too (one only took a quart every 2-3k). It's such a well documented thing, but you always get people saying "my BMW didn't burn oil!!!!" like well, great for you, but all it takes is a google search to see how common this has been across BMW model years in the last decade and a half.

You'll have to get lucky with your dealership unless the oil burn is EGREGIOUS, the whole point of BMW, Audi, et al. saying that is so they don't have to bother with it unless it's out of spec.

Unfortunately correct.

For those musing about litigation - I'm an attorney myself and previously represented many many large companies. If you think you can make them do anything, or care, let me know who your drug dealer is because that's some good shit. Anything short of 50M they won't even notify upper management about, it just goes into the lit/settlement budget for the year. No one will report anything to anyone of importance, nothing happens. If, for some reason, you manage to get their spend high enough in a lawsuit and get a new engine, you're out of your mind if you think they'll take that back to someone and say "we should think about redesigning the powerplant." They pay you your paltry low 5 figs plus labor and no one at that company will make a single decision based on your lawsuit ever, until the end of time. You win your lemon law case, fine, you get your money back, no one will ever think about you again. You aren't sticking it to anyone, you're just buying another car from someone else. If you wanna do that, more power to you, but don't lie to yourself about what you're doing.

tl;dr you can do whatever you want but this is a very low volume car and no one is going to "make Toyota or BMW" do anything. BMW has sold far higher volume cars that Hoover down oil as fast as these and they're still doin' it. Try your fixes or whatever, find something that works, lemon law your car if you want, but this "we have the power!" stuff is a pipe dream.
Well said! You'll always have "special" people that buy performance cars, and then are surprised when they do performance things like burn oil, and have lower than expected MPG, and have to buy tires more often, and so on. It comes with the territory. Don't like it, the Camry is sold on the same lot.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I feel like I should provide an update.

I took my car to not one, but two dealerships after reverting to stock and taking off any performance parts.

the engine oil level sensor is failing in my car and I can’t measure the oil level. Toyota Cedar Park has opted to replace this sensor, but it will take two weeks for this part to arrive on back order.

In the meantime they have sealed my oil cap and drain plug with torque seal. They are going to begin the process of measuring for oil consumption. They have confidence the bulletin coming in march will provide guidance for a real solution to the problem.

I’m still driving it hard, but now I use a little OBDLink CX tool and the BimmerLink app to see the raw oil temps and oil level. I hope this will prevent me from having any problems while I wait for the new part. I sure hope I don’t burn a quart of oil in two weeks…

Meanwhile this whole process has made me realize it would be much cooler to have a cloned ecu that I can swap back in when I do take it down to the dealer. So might be selling my JB4+Fuel It soon.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I had my engine replaced around 7K on the ODO
I'm picking up my 2021 from the dealer today for the first time after it burned oil with the seals on my drain plug and cap. The dealer should have official record of the burn rate now. Wondering if it will come to they offer me a replacement engine...

Did you by chance ask if you could keep anything from the old engine? Surely I can snag that ECU.... or maybe the turbo...

What do they replace? Did you happen to get itemized list and hold on to it (and be willing to share?). I just want to arm myself with the knowledge before getting into this. Don't want to leave my AMS downpipe on it and find they replaced everything from the airbox to the exhaust. Would be awesome if I could keep something like the ECU for cloning later with zero downtime.

PS. I also heard they sell these engines sometimes and shops scoop them up to build them.
Sponsored