CEL With Catted Downpipe

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
Did you get a lot of vibration during the factory cold start cycle after DP install?

I have cattless DP which was installed prior to purchase. I took it in for the recall which wiped the cold start elimination so now I get vibration during cold start. It goes away after the cycle completes but I'm trying to figure out/confirm if the vibration is caused by the aftermarket exhaust system or some other issue.
it’s most likely the exhaust barely touching during cold start. If that’s not the case the exhaust has a defect or poor quality in the DP.
Sponsored

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20'Supra 3.0 premium; AA DP; AS Intk; MBRP Ex; JB4
it’s most likely the exhaust barely touching during cold start. If that’s not the case the exhaust has a defect or poor quality in the DP.
I can see both points. However, the vibration is only during cold start. Once the cycle is over I can rev higher and to the same levels without the vibration. I will have to figure a way to trouble shoot the exhaust is touching

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I can see both points. However, the vibration is only during cold start. Once the cycle is over I can rev higher and to the same levels without the vibration. I will have to figure a way to trouble shoot the exhaust is touching
I had the same issue on big builds in other tuners from using racingengine mounts. Only heavy vibration during cold start, then after the engine warmed it would go away. It has to be the exhaust barely hitting the car in a way to create the vibration. You e not modified anything else correct and your not getting any codes?

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Did you get a lot of vibration during the factory cold start cycle after DP install?

I have cattless DP which was installed prior to purchase. I took it in for the recall which wiped the cold start elimination so now I get vibration during cold start. It goes away after the cycle completes but I'm trying to figure out/confirm if the vibration is caused by the aftermarket exhaust system or some other issue.
When you say vibration do you mean the car actually vibrating or rattling of interior body panels and the like?

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I had the same issue on big builds in other tuners from using racingengine mounts. Only heavy vibration during cold start, then after the engine warmed it would go away. It has to be the exhaust barely hitting the car in a way to create the vibration. You e not modified anything else correct and your not getting any codes?
I do have an expected CEL because of the DP. As for an unrelated code, I don't know. I don't have anything to read codes at the moment. The real problem is, I don't know what has been modified other than the exhaust system. It did have a tune (I assume, don't know which or by who) but that was reset when I got the recall done. So now I have the CEL and cold start vibration...

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
When you say vibration do you mean the car actually vibrating or rattling of interior body panels and the like?
Yes, sounds/feels terrible. but like I mentioned it goes away after about 30-40 secs into cold start cycle. It may have always done this but the setup (done by a previous owner), prior to brake recall had eliminated the factory cold start cycle.

MoTeC_R

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 A90 & 2022 A91-CF
I do have an expected CEL because of the DP. As for an unrelated code, I don't know. I don't have anything to read codes at the moment. The real problem is, I don't know what has been modified other than the exhaust system. It did have a tune (I assume, don't know which or by who) but that was reset when I got the recall done. So now I have the CEL and cold start vibration...
I wouldn’t drive it until it’s read. Your dealer should be able to scan your key at any BMW key reader they can view most DTCs.
33217AE3-223C-4BE0-9E72-153E31192B98.jpeg

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yes, sounds/feels terrible. but like I mentioned it goes away after about 30-40 secs into cold start cycle. It may have always done this but the setup (done by a previous owner), prior to brake recall had eliminated the factory cold start cycle.
Just so I understand correctly, the previous owner has turned off the cold start cycle and it's still off, correct? You haven't turned it back on?

Mr. Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No, sorry for the confusion. The previous owner had the cold start turned off. I had the brake recall done so all settings were erased (ecu/bimmercode). I didn't know anything about the factory cold start "cycle", until I started it the morning after the recall.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If you're wanting a catted down pipe that throws CELs, I have one for sale for less than $400 😂

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Do I need a tune or a jb4 for it? or can i just roll with it without a tune
Nope, it is 100% plug and play does not require anything else.

kendoggystyle

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Just get the AA catted dp if you are worried about a cel, it is a 100% guarantee, and they have a phenomenal warranty and customer service, have some in stock if you need!
On my 22' non-tunable 3.0 Premium, I'm currently running the AA catted DP with a JB4 on map 1, that's it. The 1st day was great, then come the 2nd day it threw a "catLESS DP detected CEL" I spoke w/ them, & they said clear the code, then if it comes back to reach out. I cleared it, it was gone for 4 days, & now it's back.... so it's definitely not 100% & they even said they've seen that before. So none the less I'll be reaching back out to them on Monday. Otherwise, does anybody have any ideas for a remedy? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks dudes.
Sponsored