zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
You're reading way too into things.

This goes allllll the way back to "you can have any color you want, as long as it's black." Toyota doesn't give a shit about any of this stuff. They just want to make as much profit as possible. The way to do this is standardization.

As soon as you start messing with -literally anything- they don't have a test plan anymore. All of the QA and R and D they've done goes out the window. All their checklists don't matter anymore if a car comes back for service with modifications to their procedures. It's all standardization. Make as much money as possible by doing as little as work as possible.

Dealerships don't hire car experts, too expensive. They hire people that can be trained to follow directions to a T. The system sees something that isn't right, it throws a flag. One of the items on the checklist is "update the iDrive system," so they do it. For 99.9% of customers, this is fine. Don't forget this recall affects every single B58 BMW. That's a ton of cars, they don't want to do it, it's expensive, and they want cars in and out as fast as possible.

There's no possible way you can blame them. As for the IDrive update.. all of these systems are so intertwined (sport mode is controlled, at least in some capacity) through iDrive. There could be a lot of reasons why the engineers put it on the checklist.

Yeah - it sucks, but when you start changing things, it's pay to play, which can include 'deal with a bunch of shit to play.'

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I'll start the bidding at $5k :)

All half jokes aside, that is some BS. I wonder if there are other stories on this forum of the same kind of situation. I haven't done an upgrades yet to my car but just sounds like a hassle to deal with... I'm curious to know if others have the same experience.

OP
OP
cvondra

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
Nice looking car, Does it have the updates done to it?
It's still at the dealership and because the technician got stopped on page 22 of his manual (I'm not making that shit up) he could not proceed because the app didn't give him the green light on the factory AMP being in place. Getting the oil changed but will be getting the car back shortly.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Change the sound in the vehicle and no jury in their right mind would not side with me.
Having been through this sort of thing a couple times (as an expert witness in the software engineering field), you might actually be surprised. Aftermarket amp produces voltages or tolerances out of spec, and it could be possible to make a correlation there. Cars these days are computers with wheels. This would also not start as a jury trial, and would almost certainly settled out of court with a gag order.

In any case, it is pay-to-play, and you're literally dealing with that right now. They're not refusing the work, they're saying to need to return to a factory configuration before you continue -- so it's not a warranty claim at all either.

OP
OP
cvondra

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
I'm not going to argue about it but when the chief designer touts the modability of the vehicle pre-launch and they refuse to update the ECU stand alone I say its all bullshit. With that said its my choice/prerogative to tell Toyota to stick it up their ass and move on from them too. You can call it 'pay to play' if you want but to me its 110% bullshit. I also own a software engineering firm with computer engineers also on staff and have a hardware/electronics background. I understand what you're saying but there will be no convincing me that what I'm requesting is unreasonable and its all not complete bullshit.

Fast_Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Premium, 2005 Evo VIII
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not going to argue about it but when the chief designer touts the modability of the vehicle pre-launch and they refuse to update the ECU stand alone I say its all bullshit. With that said its my choice/prerogative to tell Toyota to stick it up their ass and move on from them too. You can call it 'pay to play' if you want but to me its 110% bullshit. I also own a software engineering firm with computer engineers also on staff and have a hardware/electronics background. I understand what you're saying but there will be no convincing me that what I'm requesting is unreasonable and its all not complete bullshit.
Okay boomer, just do us all a favor and sell the car, move on and get a Corvette... Its obvious that whatever anyone says that doesn't 100% align with your though process is wrong and the enemy...

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
Okay boomer, just do us all a favor and sell the car, move on and get a Corvette... Its obvious that whatever anyone says that doesn't 100% align with your though process is wrong and the enemy...
Starting a sentence with "Okay boomer" unironically isn't a good look m8. Discrediting someone based on their demographic is a sign that you have nothing to add to the debate and are just emotional. Please gather your thoughts and return when you can have a conversation without insulting your peers.

Sincerely,
Millenial

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Starting a sentence with "Okay boomer" unironically isn't a good look m8. Discrediting someone based on their demographic
Unrelated to the context of this conversation - I think 'Boomer' has evolved beyond pure demographic information and expanded to a personality type. I'm not making to claims as it relates to this thread.

Last edited:

Fast_Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Starting a sentence with "Okay boomer" unironically isn't a good look m8. Discrediting someone based on their demographic is a sign that you have nothing to add to the debate and are just emotional. Please gather your thoughts and return when you can have a conversation without insulting your peers.

Sincerely,
Millenial
My guy, I was merely stating that he was complaining like an entitled older gentleman (which he seems to be) and to which he could be classified as a baby boomer, or on the cusp of that generation due to age... so it was a premeditated double entendre

Regardless, he modded the car, and the dealer doesn't wanna mess with it... with all the BIT and Prognostic and Health Moniotoring that is built into all electonics these days, I can't say that I blame them... they have no way to verify if everything truely flashed correctly without those checks...

Unrelated to the context of this conversation - I think 'Boomer' has evolved beyond pure demographic information and expanded to a personality type. I'm making to claims as it relates to this thread.
See reply above...

Vaevictum

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Corolla
Unrelated to the context of this conversation - I think 'Boomer' has evolved beyond pure demographic information and expanded to a personality type. I'm making to claims as it relates to this thread.
Good observation, doesn't make it any more or less necessary. Should he call you names simply because he has a different viewpoint as you? Does that add to the conversation or is it just someone being rife with emotion then acting on that emotion behind the safety of a keyboard?

Can't blame him for being upset - goes to buy a platform with touted mod-ability--->can't mod the car to get the power levels he wants and gets a ****ing by doing audio mods. Go ahead and switch out amps every time you need to do an update if you want; I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with that and for wanting to sell the car.

Fast_Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good observation, doesn't make it any more or less necessary. Should he call you names simply because he has a different viewpoint as you? Does that add to the conversation or is it just someone being rife with emotion then acting on that emotion behind the safety of a keyboard?

Can't blame him for being upset - goes to buy a platform with touted mod-ability--->can't mod the car to get the power levels he wants and gets a ****ing by doing audio mods. Go ahead and switch out amps every time you need to do an update if you want; I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with that and for wanting to sell the car.
Buddy, I really could care less if someone on the internet calls me a name... I have way thicker skin than that, and way bigger things to worry about....
I just avoid the dealer period, I know they are not looking out for my best interests. They are in the business of making money, period... I got full screen carplay, but paid out of pocket for it because I knew if I went to do the update, it would wipe my tune and I would have to pay for unlock service... again PAY to play... Either stop complaining and get out your wallet, or trade the car and move on...

Motorknut

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra RZ, BMW G20 gone:BMW F30, E85, E46
I'm not going to argue about it but when the chief designer touts the modability of the vehicle pre-launch and they refuse to update the ECU stand alone I say its all bullshit.
The reality is, the guys trying to sell the cars aren’t the same guys who handle your after sales service.

From my experience, the sales guys love it when the car is modded and gets all that attention. Free advertising for them, yay! but they aren’t the ones deciding on recalls or warranty work.

Hope you find a solution for the car.

VegasSpeed97

First Name
Ryland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus RC 350, RX350
So little story to add to this with sales guys and modded cars. I was just at a Toyota dealership in East Las Vegas. They have a Supra coming in with a person who backed out. They wanted $64,000 on a $57,800 msrp car. Now they have two other supras there. One is a red demo car (not for sale yet) and a white one that has a down pipe and some other stuff done. They used it as a trade in I guess but either way they cannot sell the car since it won't pass smog here currently and may have to send to auction. It may have a tune as well based on the other items done to it. Either way They told me that it was near impossible that they would sell the car to the general public. The modded Supra scene is well known. I think they are going to be really picky with any modifications to these Supra cars with it being wildly done and effecting their warranty claims or issues.

Think about it. If you sold a car where any warranty item would cost you money over and over and the car become a huge prospect for modifications of all types than you would likely start watch dogging this in the service area. bmw did for the 335i back in 2010. Toyota prides itself on reliability so cars having issues and ruining that stigma are going to put a mark on their brand. It all makes sense to me but if I had a modded supra it would piss me off.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.