Coilovers recommendations

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
For people that have coilovers which do you recommend for street use? I am looking for coilovers that comes with the spherical bearings and does not reuse the oem top bearing mounts. The most important thing is that it does not make any noise such as clicking, clunking, squeaking, etc. I am looking for quality coilovers that will last years. I was looking at kw but it looks like the bearings are optional. So I am thinking of the hks. Anyone have personal experience with coilovers and noise? Thanks
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I'm searching too. My main requirement, so far, is that the rear be a true coilover, not divorced. Setting ride height on a divorced setup doesn't look like much fun to me, though I *should* only have to do it once.

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
I'm searching too. My main requirement, so far, is that the rear be a true coilover, not divorced. Setting ride height on a divorced setup doesn't look like much fun to me, though I *should* only have to do it once.
Its extremely easy, and how the factory body/arms were designed to support the weight of the car.

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
So we currently have Fortune Auto coilovers on our shop car + EDC delete (the FA are divorced style), which are fantastic. Prior to that, we ran the MSS adjustable springs which were actually excellent, and retained the EDC. You get great spring rates and ride + retaining EDC. Of course, coilovers come with a price (for good ones, and most need EDC delete) but you get that extra level of performance.

Right now, we have the MSS springs on special right now: https://www.dsgperformance.com/prod...pra-5th-gen-j29-db-sports-full-adjustable-kit

That being said, feel free to shoot me a DM if you want to go into detail about some different options when it comes to coilovers

OP
OP

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
So we currently have Fortune Auto coilovers on our shop car + EDC delete (the FA are divorced style), which are fantastic. Prior to that, we ran the MSS adjustable springs which were actually excellent, and retained the EDC. You get great spring rates and ride + retaining EDC. Of course, coilovers come with a price (for good ones, and most need EDC delete) but you get that extra level of performance.

Right now, we have the MSS springs on special right now: https://www.dsgperformance.com/prod...pra-5th-gen-j29-db-sports-full-adjustable-kit

That being said, feel free to shoot me a DM if you want to go into detail about some different options when it comes to coilovers
I have had no luck with springs and the oem top mount bearings. Do you have any coilovers in stock? How noisy are the fortune coilovers?

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
I have had no luck with springs and the oem top mount bearings. Do you have any coilovers in stock? How noisy are the fortune coilovers?
They make absolutely no noise, I've really enjoyed them a lot. I know that might seem biased being a dealer of theirs but they're actually really good.

They do a special DSG Edition for us, they use the Amsoil shock fluid from their 510 series, Swift spring upgrade, and slightly different valving than the 500 series. Really an excellent combo

The only thing I've noticed, we added the front Cusco strut bar setup and the rear definitely needs the underbrace now to match. It feels slightly off with only the front. However, before doing the front strut setup the coilovers were really excellent.

We did Titan 7's this year as well and I kept the ride height pretty reasonable and not slammed or anything like that. It never bottoms out or clunks. Highly recommend

Currently sitting on FA DSG Editions + Titan 7, not too low and dampening set to about 3/4 stiffest setting front/rear

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 1.30.36 PM.png

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I am happy with my Ohlins (with Verus top hats) so far. Sucked to setup the rear ride height but havent had to mess with them since. No noises and an excellent ride for being coilovers.

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
I am happy with my Ohlins (with Verus top hats) so far. Sucked to setup the rear ride height but havent had to mess with them since. No noises and an excellent ride for being coilovers.
also an excellent option

OP
OP

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
They make absolutely no noise, I've really enjoyed them a lot. I know that might seem biased being a dealer of theirs but they're actually really good.

They do a special DSG Edition for us, they use the Amsoil shock fluid from their 510 series, Swift spring upgrade, and slightly different valving than the 500 series. Really an excellent combo

The only thing I've noticed, we added the front Cusco strut bar setup and the rear definitely needs the underbrace now to match. It feels slightly off with only the front. However, before doing the front strut setup the coilovers were really excellent.

We did Titan 7's this year as well and I kept the ride height pretty reasonable and not slammed or anything like that. It never bottoms out or clunks. Highly recommend

Currently sitting on FA DSG Editions + Titan 7, not too low and dampening set to about 3/4 stiffest setting front/rear

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 1.30.36 PM.png
also an excellent option
What's the eta for the coilovers?

DSG Performance

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dsgperformance.com
Car(s)
Supra, Evo X, BRZ
What's the eta for the coilovers?
So they're quoting about 4-6 weeks right now, we've seen lead times fluctuate but that should be about the average. That being said, Swift springs being from Japan and any special options/spring rates will add some time unfortunately with the supply chain BS that's still happening (especially JDM related parts)

OP
OP

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
So they're quoting about 4-6 weeks right now, we've seen lead times fluctuate but that should be about the average. That being said, Swift springs being from Japan and any special options/spring rates will add some time unfortunately with the supply chain BS that's still happening (especially JDM related parts)
What's the cost shipped to 98371? Thanks

OP
OP

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
I bought the kw clubsport. It doesn't come with bearings but I think it was the best option for me.