When will we see a production spec mk5 ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing new really beside the BMW I6 being used for this car. Lets hope we get something new this year from Toyota.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Really!!

It's becoming clearer with each passing day of nothingness that it'll be a long time before we get this car.

It seemed like such a powerful launch, but hey what can we expect after the decade-long wait for the LFA.

By the time this car is on the dealer floor I very well may have moved onto something else.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
just wishful thinking!

I'm trying real hard to hold off for a while for a meaningful confirmation from Toyota. Otherwise I'm not that far off from pulling the trigger on something else.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
With the most recent "news" being Car and Driver's reported rumors, the wait is considerably worse.

Personally, I was dreaming of the Supra being some sort of Japanese Corvette & 911 murderer with Toyota build quality, reliability and a commensurate pricetag ($60-$70k, maybe touching $80k maxed out). After the latest from C&D (which is generally legitimate and reliable), I'm left thinking the car is going to be underpowered and underperforming, likely with still just as high a price (i.e., no longer good value).

My feelings in this instant is that there are more attractive options to the Supra already. If the MkV Supra was sitting on the showroom floor right now and I had to buy a car today I would probably go for the GT-R (a car that's been around since 2008). At the very least, for the same money I'd get the M4. And if I could get over buying a Chevy, the Corvette would be equivalent, which is really disappointing. By the time the car comes out, we'll definitely have whatever BMW's equivalent car is (might as well just buy the bimmer), also likely a refreshed/competition package M4, definitely an updated vette, and at least on the verge of an R36 GT-R if not one that you can order.

If Toyota gave us a peek at their new turbo I6, V6 whatever developed by TMG with rumors of 500 metric horsepower, I would immediately be excited again, and the wait would become much, much more bearable.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
I'm with you, almost all the way, except for the GTR! As capable as it is, for my liking it sits high like a rally car, and weighs "two" tons! With that kind of weight, it'll wear through things like a bandit.

The only reason I'm resisting temptation of buying a Porsche is because everyone else has one at the track. That and Corvettes. And I still have a full set of hair and wear a size 31 pants to be driving a Corvette! But I'd love to have something that's competitive against them with drivers to back the car up. It doesn't need to be better, just close! Taking care of the performance gap will be my challenge. I don't want it to be easy and expected. I'd like it to be slightly underdog so when you do well, people don't say oh well he has a better car! Or when I get my ass kicked, I can always say well obviously I didn't have the right car! Lol

Frs is fun going after high dollar cars, with drivers who are afraid of modifying their cars for the track, or are afraid of going fast. But when frs is up against the high dollar cars with a driver who doesn't mind setting the car up for the track and can actually drive, then frs is minced meat! So I'd like to close that gap with a little more ooomf! As long as it's light weight, low a CG and with anything over 380 Hp, the rest I'll deal with, in a fun way!

OP
OP
FT1freddy

FT1freddy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FR-S
I'm with you, almost all the way, except for the GTR! As capable as it is, for my liking it sits high like a rally car, and weighs "two" tons! With that kind of weight, it'll wear through things like a bandit.

The only reason I'm resisting temptation of buying a Porsche is because everyone else has one at the track. That and Corvettes. And I still have a full set of hair and wear a size 31 pants to be driving a Corvette! But I'd love to have something that's competitive against them with drivers to back the car up. It doesn't need to be better, just close! Taking care of the performance gap will be my challenge. I don't want it to be easy and expected. I'd like it to be slightly underdog so when you do well, people don't say oh well he has a better car! Or when I get my ass kicked, I can always say well obviously I didn't have the right car! Lol

Frs is fun going after high dollar cars, with drivers who are afraid of modifying their cars for the track, or are afraid of going fast. But when frs is up against the high dollar cars with a driver who doesn't mind setting the car up for the track and can actually drive, then frs is minced meat! So I'd like to close that gap with a little more ooomf! As long as it's light weight, low a CG and with anything over 380 Hp, the rest I'll deal with, in a fun way!
Sounds like you're looking for a track sleeper. Maybe a dedicated track car built from an older beater but with fully built engine, transmission, etc.? Going to be hard to sneak up on someone with a new-wish car since most everyone who hits the track is going to be an enthusiast and real familiar with cars' specs, performance figures, etc.

What about a FR-S or BRZ with engine swap? That would sneak up on people! :)

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
Sounds like you're looking for a track sleeper. Maybe a dedicated track car built from an older beater but with fully built engine, transmission, etc.? Going to be hard to sneak up on someone with a new-wish car since most everyone who hits the track is going to be an enthusiast and real familiar with cars' specs, performance figures, etc.

What about a FR-S or BRZ with engine swap? That would sneak up on people! :)
I've actually thought hard about what you are saying. It's very tempting, if I was the kind of guy who'd rather be tooling with the car every spare moment I got. The problem is, if I have a spare moment, I'd rather be out enjoying what life can offer. Looking at cute girls at Starbucks is really not so bad!!!

Also, I've blown too many engines to be willing to risk it again modifying or operating under no warranty. Although new car warranties do exclude trackdays from warranty, the right cars (Porsche's) or the right service manager, do look after you if you track the car when you develop a good relation with them.

Actually coming home from work today, I was just thinking in my head if it'd be a good decision adding a supercharger to my FRS to get 300-350Hp (which would then be perfect) after the warranty runs out. The problem is, then there's no warranty, and the engine life is now reduced to less than a year, if tracked hard....so back to paying for the replacement engines again, which gets expensive and ruins the resale value. I've come to some conclusions that if you want a better car, don't force a cheaper car be a better car, just buy a better car. Sometimes by spending too much money on a cheaper car, you actually depreciate its resale value more!

I think, for someone like myself who is not into rebuilding engines in his garage, owning a good reliable and new sports car with warranty is the cheapest way to have a track car.

There are a couple of guys with home made Miatas at the track. I see one of them (turbo charged) that keeps up with the GT3's on the straights!!! I envy these guys, because I really think that's where the rewards are, but they are also spending all their time in the garage working on their cars. I suppose if I was married and I just wanted an excuse to get away but not leave the house, I'd get into building engines too...

Anyways, your suggestion would be ideal under certain circumstances which I don't fit under.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I used to dream of stuff like an RB swapped 240SX, or a triple rotor RX7.

Like you though, now that I've got the money, I don't have the time for the headaches of keeping a car like that running.

I also doubt my abilities to truly improve a car over what the original engineers had in mind.

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
I certainly relate to your third statement more than anything!

Seems every time I've tried, I ended up destroying a perfectly good engine in the end! I'm more than happy to do a lot of work to the suspension, but I will no longer mess with the engines, the way engineers of the engines and their corresponding bean counters reached their agreements!

I don't even think any legitimate expert shop could build a high performance "reliable" engine out of a lower performance car. By reliability I mean more than a stop sign to stop sign reliability!

TorqueRules

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus
This is how you kill buzz and excitement for a car. Don't follow in the NSX's shoes Toyota. It's time to show a preview of whats being worked on.

sunFire

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3 cabrio
I hear crickets :) Give us some more teasers, info, rumors, whatever please.
I think that's why Toyota deliberately didn't call the FT-1 a Supra concept, but of course everyone made the mental connection. It probably had just started being designed/modeled around that time.

celerity

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F-150 daily, weekend car shopping
I'm on the verge of losing all hope that this car will come to fruition within the next 2 years. Some other cars (C7, GT350, M4) are getting more and more tempting.

divinesteer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyotas
Speaking of which they just announced the GT350 pricing to be under 50 grand and the R version at under 65. I have to say, that has me thinking. I would rather look for a new Supra but they seem to be dragging their feet.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.