JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '21 Lexus RX450H. '08 Lexus GX470
Vehicle Showcase
Also in! Waiting to hear about this guy before I just up and snag the "competitions" product.

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
Also in! Waiting to hear about this guy before I just up and snag the "competitions" product.
I found this! Lets see how the competitors compare.

20200519_223615.jpg

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
Hey whats up everyone. Sorry for the delayed response super busy over here. Which isn't a bad thing.

So onto the preliminary result of the heat exchanger.

1. As stated install was a breeze. Ive seen people talk about the front bumper being a PITA to remove, but i dont see like that. Ill post more on that after this.

2. I didn't see any improvements in actual IATs compared to stock. Wait let me explain further.

For my testing i used 60-130mph pulls and 1st thru 6th gear pulls (1/4mile testing). So for me i had tons of data on the stock heat exchanger including dyno sessions which i opted not to use since 95% of owners cars wont be on a dyno as much as ours so that data imo was irrelevant.

Anyway, what i noticed is there was no substantial delta or reduction between the two. In fact, the temp increases almost were identical between stock and the CSF heat exchanger. It was hard to find identical start temperatures of the pulls on the stock HEX. So we got as close as possible

Our results were actually the opposite of all the other testers data where they saw temp reductions. We did not. One positive however, is that we did notice the temps dropped far faster after pulls than the stock HEX. And temps stayed a little lower while sitting idling than the stock HEX. So thats good. Lower temps for staging.

I have logs of all the WOT pulls and etc., but i need to label them so viewers know which is which so ill re-upload with proper labels tonight or tomorrow for everyone to view.

My conclusion or theory. Is that im simply beyond the limits of the stock cooler capacity. Its the only sense of my results i could come to. When pretty much everyone else showed reductions. As im the higgest powered car in the testing pool.

Cores are only efficient to a certain flow, and i think i may just be beyond the flow that the charge cooler is capable of supporting. No, i did not turn power down. Because imo that would have defeated the purpose of the testing.

We also did not increase intercooler fluid flow. Left everything stock on both. Will test increased intercooler flow tune. And see if it makes a difference.

Darth

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
02 S2k, 09 Aerorace, 07 Y61, 14 1500 Denali
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting feedback Justin! Thanks for being transparent about the review. What do you think of the stock heat exchanger? Does that mean that the stock unit is as efficient as it can get?

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Interesting feedback Justin! Thanks for being transparent about the review. What do you think of the stock heat exchanger? Does that mean that the stock unit is as efficient as it can get?

When i say I'm at the limit of the stock charge cooler, I am speaking about the actual A2W intercooler inside the intake manifold. Not the actual heat exchanger core in front of the radiator. just want to make sure im clear on whats being said.

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
I don't have a mkv, but was asked to add some B58 data. I have a 440i with a supra HPFP and custom E85 tune from F80Paul. I'm estimating that I'm between 450-500whp

Method: 3 back to back pulls from ~40-140, starting in 3rd at 2500rpm and running 4th out the redline (manual transmission). I truncated the data to be 3000rpm in 3rd to 6900rpm in 4th. I know it's not perfect but I think the general concept is solid.

Ambient/IAT Delta = Difference between ambient temps and IATs
Intercooler Delta = Difference between intake temps before and after the intercooler

https://datazap.me/u/kern4179/stock-v-csf-iat?log=0&data=

My main takeaways
1. The Amb/IAT delta are similar, but the temps were 20F hotter for CSF pulls
2. The intercooler delta increased with the CSF radiator despite hotter ambient temps (made the intercooler more efficient)
3. The rise in IATs during a pull is reduced with CSF
4. No matter what, temps increase in back to back pulls - unfortunately I couldn't get the super flat temp curve that was advertised. I agree with Twisted that it depends on how hard you're pushing the turbo.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra, '21 Lexus RX450H. '08 Lexus GX470
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a mkv, but was asked to add some B58 data. I have a 440i with a supra HPFP and custom E85 tune from F80Paul. I'm estimating that I'm between 450-500whp

Method: 3 back to back pulls from ~40-140, starting in 3rd at 2500rpm and running 4th out the redline (manual transmission). I truncated the data to be 3000rpm in 3rd to 6900rpm in 4th. I know it's not perfect but I think the general concept is solid.

Ambient/IAT Delta = Difference between ambient temps and IATs
Intercooler Delta = Difference between intake temps before and after the intercooler

https://datazap.me/u/kern4179/stock-v-csf-iat?log=0&data=

My main takeaways
1. The Amb/IAT delta are similar, but the temps were 20F hotter for CSF pulls
2. The intercooler delta increased with the CSF radiator despite hotter ambient temps (made the intercooler more efficient)
3. The rise in IATs during a pull is reduced with CSF
4. No matter what, temps increase in back to back pulls - unfortunately I couldn't get the super flat temp curve that was advertised. I agree with Twisted that it depends on how hard you're pushing the turbo.
Thanks for the information @kern417 . Much appreciated. Do you have any experience with circuit track type racing with this heat exchanger on your rig?

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
Thanks for the information @kern417 . Much appreciated. Do you have any experience with circuit track type racing with this heat exchanger on your rig?
I don't do track days in this car, so unfortunately I won't have any data in that department. I could log some backroad runs but I never push as hard on the street. That was my goal with doing the back to back pulls, since at a track you're always either on the gas or on the brakes. I would suspect that you'd have a lower equilibrium temperature, but no space to test it out.

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Placed an order for this through @Titan Motorsports, should release first week of July

Doing this alongside a Pure800 on 93 and will see how it goes

140+ IAT's here will need all the help there is
cool, should help

OP
OP
Twisted Tuning

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)

Titan Motorsports

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.titanmotorsports.com
Car(s)
2020 MKV Premium White, 2020 MKV Premium Black, MK4 Supras. Among others.
Vehicle Showcase
Titan Motorsports will be receiving the very first units the first week of July. We currently only have 10 available for pre-order and slots are filling up fast. You can purchase from the link below to secure yours

we have installed this unit on our personal shop car and have done a quick video to overview the difference between OE and CSF. The link is also attached below

https://titanmotorsports.com/products/csf-a90-supra-high-performance-heat-exchanger

Q8_TwinTurbo

First Name
Athbi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1994 Porsche 965 Turbo 3.6, 2001 Porsche 996 Turbo, 2008 Mitsubishi Evo X
I am surprised why CSF did not take full advantage of the height available. I do know that their heat exchanger is thicker and made with their patented (B-Tube) technology. Wouldn't it possibly perform even better if they have utilized the whole height available, since the OEM is taller in height as seen above in the comparison video.

Just my 2 cent.
Sponsored