Current tuning options available to the public

Of the ones you could purchase TODAY, Which would you pick?

• Total voters

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
The jb4 is a tried and well tested piggyback that has been used in thousands of cars. I would be hesitant to use any other due to it’s proven nature.
+9999999999

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
The jb4 is a tried and well tested piggyback that has been used in thousands of cars. I would be hesitant to use any other due to it’s proven nature.
Exactly. They have more experience on these platforms than most and have been providing solid tuning options for many years. The app is solid and like SCCA Racer was saying it is worth the extra money to have quick access to everything and change maps on the fly in 2 seconds.

Mr. Kurtz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1981 Toyota Celica GT Sunchaser, 2020 Toyota Supra Premium
You will be SOO hooked on the BT connection if you do it! You don't necessarily 'need it'... you can use the USB/Serial port feature... but it's so nice to just 'change on the fly'... not to mention monitor all your items, temps, boost, etc...

Best Regards,
Dave
Part of me likes the idea of having that data...most of me know I'll never use it. :D

As for changing maps, I actually don't plan to. I've got no plans for any other modifications, will be running regular 93 pump gas, etc.

We'll see...it does seem the JB4 might offer better value, especially since it's pretty close to the ProTune in price, even with the BT module.

Last edited:

absaifan

First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mkv Supra, MKIV 2jz-gte, Q7, FJ Cruiser
I'm about to order my box and still am waiting for confirmation that the JB4 will indeed flash a locked DME.
Anyone knows how to check if the DME is locked in the first place? Vin number or something?

LS3Twins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 1998 E36 M3 LS3 Twin Turbo
I'm about to order my box and still am waiting for confirmation that the JB4 will indeed flash a locked DME.
Anyone knows how to check if the DME is locked in the first place? Vin number or something?
JB4 doesn't flash anything. It's a piggyback.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
JB4 doesn't flash anything. It's a piggyback.
^^^THIS JB4 is just a piggyback, and at some point you'll see that in order to get the JB4 to work the best and properly, the car still needs a flash.

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
As a long-time MHD user on the n54 platform, I'd recommend the JB4 for the Zupra. MHD had years on the n54/n55 platforms to build up it's feature set to be competitive but the on-the-fly map switching, easy meth integration, and its existing marketshare in the m240i market make it a better option than MHD and I didn't even know about the locked DME issue until reading this thread. I'm not super familiar with BM3 but have known dozens of BMW friends who used it with great success but last I heard it had a reliance on wifi to do license checking -- which isn't super helpful if you're in a parking lot or on the side of the road and need your tuning/logging/flashing/code-reader when the car is down and out of range of wifi. JB4 is an always-ready solution with simple controls and can always be disabled in pass-through mode with a few clicks.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
Just an update,

ECU lock on the released supras are not an issue. We have you taken care of via MHD. No bench unlock needed. Straight obd2 flash. With that we can provide custom maps for whatever you need.

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
As a long-time MHD user on the n54 platform, I'd recommend the JB4 for the Zupra. MHD had years on the n54/n55 platforms to build up it's feature set to be competitive but the on-the-fly map switching, easy meth integration, and its existing marketshare in the m240i market make it a better option than MHD and I didn't even know about the locked DME issue until reading this thread. I'm not super familiar with BM3 but have known dozens of BMW friends who used it with great success but last I heard it had a reliance on wifi to do license checking -- which isn't super helpful if you're in a parking lot or on the side of the road and need your tuning/logging/flashing/code-reader when the car is down and out of range of wifi. JB4 is an always-ready solution with simple controls and can always be disabled in pass-through mode with a few clicks.

Ii agree, JB4 has its place and for anyone looking to go the piggyback route. The jb4 should be the only choice currently. As I said before, everyone any their momma is throwing up stuff to sell for these cars. With absolutely no experience of the platform. This can be dangerous for the consumer looking for a deal blinded by advertising.

However, I will never recommend a piggyback over a full flash. Especially nowadays with how all the ecus (engine, trans, abs, and etc) need to communicate much more than years prior. Youd be surprised just what's actually in these stock ecus natively

But yea, people worried about warranty, jb4 may be best option. But keep in mind the ECU still logs certain events of high performance. So it's not a sure thing itll save you from a voided warranty

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)

Can check the software number with mhd

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
You guys should really be careful all these piggybacks, just remember none of them iirc have any timing control and relies on the ECU to pull timing and save the engine. I can see now, that there are going to be vendors popping up all over trying to do tunes for these cars, with no knowledge of the platform.

Same thing happens regularly on the BMW side. Just be careful.
Fair enough. The only piggyback to get is the JB4.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn it, I am so weak....just reading these posts....minding my own business...Oh’ what do ya know? I seem to have suddenly just ordered a JB4.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Damn it, I am so weak....just reading these posts....minding my own business...Oh’ what do ya know? I seem to have suddenly just ordered a JB4.
Now just to accidentally order a down pipe, then full exhaust, then all new turbo haha

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now just to accidentally order a down pipe, then full exhaust, then all new turbo haha
i am ready for a downpipe, I just don’t want a cel. If I knew I could get around that, it would already be in the mail.

Hopefully I can make it a few months before upgrading the turbo. ;)
Sponsored