Dashmounts = Trouble

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Well, now I see why there aren't many posts about what dash mounts to use . I have an Android phone, instead of pulling the trigger on an MMI to add Android Auto I decided to go the dashmount route and use my phone for Waze etc... I bought a Spigen One Tap Pro and stuck it to my dashboard with the sticky suction cup. After using it for just about 48 hours I took it off and found this ring.

I cried a little inside and then called a local upholstery shop. The owner suggested I contact an upholstery dye & repair service..

It cost me $150 to have him dye my dashboard, now I don't see the ring. I also have an MMI on order and headed my way. I'll soon have Android Auto.

PXL_20230703_164339448.jpg

PXL_20230718_165352814.jpg
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I hate iPhone as much as anyone šŸ˜ but just get a cheap iPhone and use basic map functionally.

Ps. I haven't used it all too much but I accidentally opened AppleMaps and Gui was cleaner than Google Maps, Waze, TomTom, Here WeGo..
Ps2. I've not seen any advantages of the alternate nav apps at all. Either TT or Here couldn't find my house and one, I chosed paved road to my home and couldn't find a paved route which is not true..

Oh and dye ? What dye. Did he just use shoe polish? šŸ˜

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
interesting. my mount brought another base if i wanted to mount it on the dash, to avoid this same problem. tomorrow i can show you how i have mine set up if youā€™d like. iā€™ve gotten compliments on it before

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
I've not seen any advantages of the alternate nav apps at all.
Waze FTW. Real time Police/Speed camera locations alone make it easily trump the rest. And here in Oz Apple maps is just plain wrong most of the time, making it pretty much useless.

Proclip is the way to go...
This. If I am to ever mount anything, it will be Proclip. Simply the best.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I just use those cheap o $5 Amazon magnet mounts for vents. Works perfectly for my iPhone and if you get the right one, it matches the interior well too.

GoldenEye

First Name
Golden
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra
Scosche window magnet mount upside down, perfect. Included a pic of my phone case to give you an idea of where my phone sitsā€¦
IMG_2178.jpeg
IMG_2179.jpeg
IMG_2180.jpeg
IMG_2181.png

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
interesting. my mount brought another base if i wanted to mount it on the dash, to avoid this same problem. tomorrow i can show you how i have mine set up if youā€™d like. iā€™ve gotten compliments on it before
i forgot to take pics this morning, but luckily there's some on here i can use lol
1692022392443.png

1692022402331.png

got both sides lol. it's pretty discreet, flows in the interior, doesn't obstruct. can always reuse-- wet the suction cup if you want to move it. ez pz
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iottie...r-mobile-phones-black/6409833.p?skuId=6409833

OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I hate iPhone as much as anyone šŸ˜ but just get a cheap iPhone and use basic map functionally.

Ps. I haven't used it all too much but I accidentally opened AppleMaps and Gui was cleaner than Google Maps, Waze, TomTom, Here WeGo..
Ps2. I've not seen any advantages of the alternate nav apps at all. Either TT or Here couldn't find my house and one, I chosed paved road to my home and couldn't find a paved route which is not true..

Oh and dye ? What dye. Did he just use shoe polish? šŸ˜
HA HA hopefully not, the ring is gone and I didnā€™t have to do it. I have an MMI on the way so after I install that behind the head unit then I wonā€™t have to worry about a mount or the ring.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am definitely not a fan of Apple either. Iā€™d do as you suggested but I also miss texts in the car with the iDrive UI. Having an Apple phone wouldnā€™t help with that.

OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
OP
OP
Supermonkey74

Supermonkey74

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Scosche window magnet mount upside down, perfect. Included a pic of my phone case to give you an idea of where my phone sitsā€¦
IMG_2180.jpeg
I Like it !! For a few hours I had mine on the windshield as well. About the same time I brought a sun shade for the car as well so I couldnā€™t see myself putting up with taking the mount on and off when I was parking in the sun.
Sponsored