Dealer Bricked My ECU

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
I'm amazed to hear that (regarding Findlay) - but good to know. They've obviously learned some things since 2020. ;)

You know, I was a little concerned this time around but it kinda worked out. Lol they did complain about my car being slammed. The tech said it took him 30 mins to get my car on the rack. :lol:

My friend use to work there as a mechanic and always made sure that my car was worked on properly. Sadly, he doesn't work there anymore. I think from now I'll just service my car myself; especially since they didn't want to check catch can.
Sponsored

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Did you have to have the ecu in hand or were you able to recover remotely?
We did it remotely.

My mistake, everyone I have heard has said opposite about tuned 21's that after the recall you will be locked. I know all 2020's will just need a bench flash! thank you @Marshall@ViscontiTuning for clearing up
I still think youre not fully understanding. Lol. It will be locked. You'll need a bench unlock.

Ooof thank you for the heads up! So what will options be once a bench unlock happens then?
Options regarding what?

Well that's great to know, I had no idea anyone had the knowledge on how to recover a bricked ECU, I figured Toyota/BMW would just issue a new one.
People brick ECUs all the time. Even other tuners that we've recovered them for. Battery dies mid flash for example .... bricked.

GR Supra Benjamin

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Bought a 2020 launch edition with the agreement that the car would have this newest brake/software recall finished along with some other items. This was last Thursday... checked in today and found out they bricked the ecu trying to do the recall.

I can still walk away from the contract. Can anyone weigh in on whether they think this will open a can of worms when I try to tune it if they can fix it or if it's even worth keeping the underpowered 2020 with a 2021 ecu that can't be tuned?
Most likely you will get a locked ecu. But doubt it was don't on purpose due to the fact there is a parts shortage. Locking the ECU post sale does not benefit the OEM. Matter of fact someone tuning the car would actually benefit Toyota/BMW because they can track changes and refuse warranty. This saves the oem money in the long term. EPA does not punish oem for post sale modifications as long as presale the oem is not aiding in the modification of the emissions equipment.

Reactions: zrk

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
Spoke to my friend today. He said the dealership ordered him a new ecu and it is estimated to arrive in late October or early November. The service rep told him to file a claim requesting Toyota to purchase the vehicle back if he didn't want to wait that long.

He did file the request and Toyota has already reached out to him via mail. Once I'm out from work I can upload the letter he received. It basically says they have received his request and will be reviewing his case.

dbagdbag

First Name
Bag
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, 2021 F-150, 1999 XJ
Just dropped off my 2021 for the recall today and they bricked it. No eta on a new ecu.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
How much testing did they do or training for the tech's. Inexcusable at this point in life. Im really sorry to hear about these ECU's being 'bricked'.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
I'd rather pay a third party to update my ECU, bench unlock, and tune all in one swing than have the Corolla quick lube techs brick my ECU.

Any third party offering this update yet?

dbagdbag

First Name
Bag
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, 2021 F-150, 1999 XJ
A quick update on mine, they specifically have said it is the BDC that they need to replace.

My Supra is a 2021 model, post-June 2020 ecu that could not be tuned. At least they gave me a rental car for now.

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
Trying this again with Supra #2
Wish me luck. Trying to get this out of the way so I can finally tune this thing.

Checkered flag Toyota in Virginia Beach seemed to be incompetent with my launch edition. Going to Hall Toyota today with my 2020 Premium. Update to come.

OP
OP
Nojz

Nojz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Premium
UPDATE

All is well in the world. Dropped it off and it was done in a few hours. Thank you, Hall Toyota of Virginia Beach. Time to tune.
Sponsored