Defective Aftermarket Steering Wheels

Timtom

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I had to return two different $500 Rexpeed steering wheels that had the identical defect - the two tapped holes for the wiring harness screws on the bottom of the wheel were completely stripped out smooth.

I ended up buying an $800 wheel from a different retailer. Exact some issue and the wheel looks identical. Am I crazy or is this not a defect?

If any of you have installed wheels, were your two lower holes for the ground still threaded for the factory screw? If not, what did you do?

DEBCD4FF-3A64-48AF-A64A-D3AC63D531F7.jpeg

004E1C38-9EC3-4C14-AF13-4426E6BF1C71.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Seems like most vendors are using cheap knock off non oem steering wheels cores. I actually just placed an order for my custom wheel with Aza. They're pricey but at least I know they're using OEM wheels.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I can't remember what the steering wheel looked like since I did the paddles over a year ago, but is that hole just for holding the wireharness in place? If so, why not just use some superglue on the screw itself and drop it in the hole?

If not, I'd check out anchoring hardware sold at McMasterCarr..

OP
OP
Timtom

Timtom

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can't remember what the steering wheel looked like since I did the paddles over a year ago, but is that hole just for holding the wireharness in place? If so, why not just use some superglue on the screw itself and drop it in the hole?

If not, I'd check out anchoring hardware sold at McMasterCarr..
This hole secures the wiring harness' ground screw in place. The harness itself just pops into the mold. With a stripped hole, I can't secure the ground wire without jury-rigging it, and I'm not going to do that on my car with an $800 product that should be plug-and-play with an OEM screw.

BG500

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Supra
I bought mine on eaby and the threads in both holes were in perfect condition, if they are stripped you could re-thread them but then you would have to get hold of a stud with thicker thread at one end (bottom) and thinner, to accommodate the wire harness, on the top, this may be difficult to source (something like that : https://www.newport.com/f/thread-adaptors)

PS this is the wheel I went for, arrived after a week :
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185187825977
it was surprisingly cheap but the quality is flawless and works like a charm

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Rethreading is the solution, however Iā€™d just return it while you can. The second you retread it then your warranty is gone. You shouldnā€™t have to modify a wheel you got new

OP
OP
Timtom

Timtom

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m being told by the retailer that there is nothing wrong with the wheel and the holes on the bottom of the wheel are not supposed to have threads.

Very confused. Iā€™m not sure why they wouldnā€™t be threaded. Every install video shows someone screwing the ground into the new wheel with the OEM screws, but this is the third wheel Iā€™ve gotten without threads.

HoosierRN

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
I guarantee that's from people trying to use the bolt to push down the airbag mount instead of pressing it in. Almost happened to me, but I saw a few bits of aluminum and went straight to a C-clamp to press it in.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
They CF steering wheel I got from @Extreme Power House didnā€™t have the holes stripped. The screws easily threaded on.

Looks like its best to stick with proven vendors.

-RJM
Sponsored