Delays with ordering 2022 Supra

MK5 GR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Premium Supra
Called to order Tungsten Silver for my wife on 9/29/21. First dealer told me 16+ weeks and 10k over MSRP??? Called another dealer had a Turbulance Grey 3.0 Premium on the way with more options than I wanted. (carbon mirror, driver assist, mats, charger paint protection etc.). They were willing to work on price since it had unwanted upgrades. Said I could pick it up in 2 week so we put $500 down that day.
Then it was held up at port, distribution center and then short delivery drivers. Didnā€™t arrive until Nov 6 but had to be PDI and takes special technician so we didnā€™t actually get it until Nov 9. It was totally worth the wait. We both love it.
Sponsored

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Nitro Yellow 3.0 Prem, RIP to my E92 M3
Ordered thru Toyota on July 15 (not through a dealership, so theoretically I can see a lot of the "scheduling" steps through the portal) and so far all it has given me is the first production stage, which is that production date has been "determined" but not "scheduled" (which itself is yet another step before "confirmed"). That update came on 11/1, after 3.5 months of waiting.

Build week was supposed to be week of 11/8, but that seemingly has not happened. Not sure when I can expect the car but this year seems exceedingly unlikely given it has not been built yet.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Ordered thru Toyota on July 15 (not through a dealership, so theoretically I can see a lot of the "scheduling" steps through the portal) and so far all it has given me is the first production stage, which is that production date has been "determined" but not "scheduled" (which itself is yet another step before "confirmed"). That update came on 11/1, after 3.5 months of waiting.

Build week was supposed to be week of 11/8, but that seemingly has not happened. Not sure when I can expect the car but this year seems exceedingly unlikely given it has not been built yet.
Production has been paused on 2022 Supras. So the wait will be longer

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
Production has been paused on 2022 Supras. So the wait will be longer
I look forward to my next dealership update. Already looking at May-22 delivery to the UK. Splendid.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Looks like used prices will remain strong. Very frustrating for people who are waiting on new cars.

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
Didn't get the exact reason why production was paused, it may have to do with parts shortages.

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For future reference, how are you guys ordering through Toyota itself? Where is this portal? I wish to uncover these secrets

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
For future reference, how are you guys ordering through Toyota itself? Where is this portal? I wish to uncover these secrets
Family member is a Toyota employee, they have a system by which you can place a direct custom order. Unfortunately, this does not get you any build priority, clearly ?

a90aloy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 a90 and 2020 r1
Family member is a Toyota employee, they have a system by which you can place a direct custom order. Unfortunately, this does not get you any build priority, clearly ?
Do you think because you're getting a discounted price toyota is making you wait behind buyers who are paying msrp?

MK_Surrey

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lightning Yellow 3.0 Pro (2022 Delivery)
With Austria going into a national lockdown until mid December, it'll be interesting to see what this does to delivery dates on top of the ongoing supply chain issues.

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Do you think because you're getting a discounted price toyota is making you wait behind buyers who are paying msrp?
No way to know, but I wouldn't be surprised. The programs have been tweaked every which way during covid. The program letting you buy off lots was unsurprisingly suspended (and still is) due to the difficulty in allocating replacements with the current supply chain issues. I tried seeing if any dealer would take the bait on the purchase program (it went from required to discretionary) and was literally laughed off the phone by a few of them, told no by the other 20 or so.

I very much want the car but don't really want to wait almost a year as my old car is gone already. It was this or an M2, so if it's not going to be here by the end of February, I may reconsider.

fatal-element

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually just got info from Toyota corporate, production schedule has it set for arrival in the US a few days after Christmas. Don't think there's a pause in production, since production date is listed internally as 11/17 (actual, not estimated)

MK5 GR

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Premium Supra
Do we know why they paused production?
Maybe because Austria is going into heavy Covid lock downs 11-22-21??? Only speculation on my part but news did report very strict upcoming lock downs. And no it wasnā€™t CNN so might actually be a little credibility to the report.
Sponsored