Dinan Turbo Inlet for the Toyota GR Supra (B58)

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
Would be great to hear a video clip.

I have a couple of additional questions in the meantime:

- Do these offer more sound only with an "open" intake, how about the standard airbox?
- Audible in the car with the windows up?
- Does carbon vs aluminium make any difference to the sound?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dinan_Engineering

Dinan_Engineering

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dinancars.com
Car(s)
GR Supra 2.0, 2x GR Supra 3.0's and countless BMWs
Would be great to hear a video clip.

I have a couple of additional questions in the meantime:

- Do these offer more sound only with an "open" intake, how about the standard airbox?
- Audible in the car with the windows up?
- Does carbon vs aluminium make any difference to the sound?
There's a snippet of sound (albeit on a BMW) at the end of the general inlet release video linked here. That car had our semi-open intake on it, which is similar to what the Supra one will be (coming soon) so gives you a general idea of what the sound is.

Speaking strictly about the B58 and the sound aspect -- the intake tract has 2 different factory resonators in it. Most intakes eliminate the upper resonator but the lower one is left intact. Turbo inlets replace the lower resonator. So between both you are removing all of the factory intake muffling hardware. That's all to say leaving the factory box and just replacing the inlet will elicit more sound but there will still be a barrier in place so ideally you would want them both removed for maximum potential sound. From my own subjective point of view the lower resonator being removed (the inlet) creates a much more pronounced BOV type sound (that turbo flutter sound) upon decel where the upper resonator (intake) is primarily affecting the sound of the sucking (for lack of a better term) under load. Yes, both are audible with the windows up and no music but the inlet flutter is much easier to distinguish.

Carbon vs. Aluminum makes no difference. We chose carbon simply because we wanted it to match the intake and it be carbon all the ay down to the turbo when they were paired together rather then it switch to aluminum or a silicon hose. Purely cosmetic decision.

Last edited:

SCZ4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3.0 Pro
There's a snippet of sound (albeit on a BMW) at the end of the general inlet release video linked here. That car had our semi-open intake on it, which is similar to what the Supra one will be (coming soon) so gives you a general idea of what the sound is.

Speaking strictly about the B58 and the sound aspect -- the intake tract has 2 different factory resonators in it. Most intakes eliminate the upper resonator but the lower one is left intact. Turbo inlets replace the lower resonator. So between both you are removing all of the factory intake muffling hardware. That's all to say leaving the factory box and just replacing the inlet will elicit more sound but there will still be a barrier in place so ideally you would want them both removed for maximum potential sound. I'm not sure how true this is but to my ears the lower resonator being removed (the inlet) creates a much more pronounced BOV type sound (that turbo flutter sound) upon decel where the upper resonator (intake) is primarily affecting the sound of the sucking (for lack of a better term) under load. Yes, both are audible with the windows up and no music but the inlet flutter is much easier to distinguish.

Carbon vs. Aluminum makes no difference. We chose carbon simply because we wanted it to match the intake and it be carbon all the ay down to the turbo when they were paired together rather then it switch to aluminum or a silicon hose. Purely cosmetic decision.
Thanks for the detailed response.

As it happens, just this evening I deleted the upper intake muffler with a BMS muffler delete "kit". It's a little little louder to the trained ear. This weekend I'll hopefully have a HKS panel filter for the original airbox and the third upgrade would be to fit your Dinan turbo inlet pipe. Hopefully all 3 will accumulate to a discreet but noticeable difference.

I've had open airboxes on the S50 B32 M3 and various S54 cars and the noise is sublime, but not a fan on a turbo car hence avoiding a full intake (for now) and would like to try this route first.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Thanks for the detailed response.

As it happens, just this evening I deleted the upper intake muffler with a BMS muffler delete "kit". It's a little little louder to the trained ear. This weekend I'll hopefully have a HKS panel filter for the original airbox and the third upgrade would be to fit your Dinan turbo inlet pipe. Hopefully all 3 will accumulate to a discreet but noticeable difference.

I've had open airboxes on the S50 B32 M3 and various S54 cars and the noise is sublime, but not a fan on a turbo car hence avoiding a full intake (for now) and would like to try this route first.
I think one of the only reediming qualities of the lack of engine noise in modern turbo cars is turbo sound, I went with the full open box hks intake, and all I get is turbo noise/spool/flutter, driving any N/A M car, makes me miss the days of proper engine sound. Modern turbo cars have none.

Knoxengineering

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 A91-MT | Cu Later Gray
Have any sound clips ?
@Feldro / Community Members,

Here are some sound clips I captured over the weekend. Done with an iPhone 11 Pro on the OEM mic. I mounted the camera inside the engine bay about 8 inches above the turbo inlet. Please enjoy and let me know if you have any questions or have issues with the link below.

DINAN Turbo Inlet Sound Clip B58 GR Supra

Thank you,

Brandon K

Edit: Outside of the turbo inlet, I'm stock.

Last edited:

Eightohtwo1X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23' Strat Blue MT Supra + 06' MT Subaru Baja Turbo
In case anyone has a hell of a time connecting the breather / PCV hose like I did.. here's what I found that made the process super easy..

1. DO NOT connect the inlet pipe to the turbo (yet)
2. Flip the inlet pipe upside down and pull the hose out a little bit
3. With this orientation, you should be able to align the inlet pipe and hose while also being able to give it proper pressure to click in the hose.
4. Carefully (and slowly) spin the inlet pipe back up to the correct orientation and connect it to the turbo

IMG_6681.jpg
IMG_6682.jpg
Sponsored