Do you guys think doing a partial unlock will ever become more affordable and be done in the US?

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
I have my car unlocked with the customROM by BM3 - going to add the flex fuel module by them as well eventually.

If you are in any state where emissions is validating the checksum of your ECU, you need to look into tuning more as most of them will change the checksum, or if you flash back to stock will not return the checksum to the OEM value - your only alterantive at that point is to get a reflash/lock from Toyota and then do the Femto send off all over again.......OR get a secondary ECU and run ECUTEK.
According to Femto, factory DME checksum is preserved/saved as part of the unlocking process.

Screenshot_20230708_074038_Instagram.jpg

This is in the context of bench unlock and using BM3 CustomRom. I would agree that the safest and full proof way to pass would be cloning.

Cyph

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91
Macs are expensive, a90s are affordable somewhat. Why take priority on super cars when ya can make more on the a90ā€™s!

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
Iā€™m still not understanding the cloning. Whatā€™s the point in cloning if I can ship my ecm to Femto and install bm3 for $2500?

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
Iā€™m still not understanding the cloning. Whatā€™s the point in cloning if I can ship my ecm to Femto and install bm3 for $2500?
The purpose is so you can ecutek, which is going to have more features than even the latest bm3 and some top tuners apparently prefer. My understanding is that for 99% of users, bm3 is sufficient and the whole "get an early ecu and clone" exercise is unnecessary.

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
The purpose is so you can ecutek, which is going to have more features than even the latest bm3 and some top tuners apparently prefer. My understanding is that for 99% of users, bm3 is sufficient and the whole "get an early ecu and clone" exercise is unnecessary.
Cloning doesn't seem all that necessary anymore with new features being unlocked by BM3 and MHD on every release. As you said, most people will get everything they need without a clone, ecutek, and tune. There are others who may want to preserve their factory ECUs for state inspection/smog check reasons. Aside from that, I'm not seeing any pressing need to clone unless you're planning on making 1000+ whp.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Cloning doesn't seem all that necessary anymore with new features being unlocked by BM3 and MHD on every release. As you said, most people will get everything they need without a clone, ecutek, and tune. There are others who may want to preserve their factory ECUs for state inspection/smog check reasons. Aside from that, I'm not seeing any pressing need to clone unless you're planning on making 1000+ whp.
Anyone who wants to make more than about 600.

D K

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 TG
Ok which is it?
What are your power goals? With other power mods like flex fuel, DP, PI, upgraded turbo, and/or intake manifold, 600+ whp is absolutely attainable with just BM3.

EddieNel

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F350
What are your power goals? With other power mods like flex fuel, DP, PI, upgraded turbo, and/or intake manifold, 600+ whp is absolutely attainable with just BM3.
That is exactly where Iā€™m going. What about adding or going to a bigger fuel pump. I would like 550ish on 93 gas.
Sponsored