Does JDM even matter in 2021?

Qiorgini

First Name
Qiorgini
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw
Japanese cars are considered some of the most reliable car brands in the world. This is rooted in the Japanese philosophy of absolute fairness and responsibility regarding product quality. Of course, the modern world has evolved, and the changes that Japanese cars have gone through are not to everyone's liking. Nevertheless, car owners will always want JDM cars for their design, good value, and quality. Therefore, you can never go wrong with a Japanese car unless you are an extremely unlucky individual.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
The B58 might be the most JDM motor on the market right now...
1637353265277.png

Compared to the VR in the R35 and Z and the hybrid V6 in the NSX, the B58 single turbo inline-6 is probably the best modern counterpart to the famed motors of yesteryear (2JZ, RB26, etc.) - not to mention the capability of the twin turbo S58.

Sadly the RX7/8, Evo, S2000, and many others are dead, and besides the aforementioned top dogs, there's pretty much just the FA motor in the WRX and GR86/BRZ, the K20 in the CTR, and scattered V6's in the luxury options from Lexus and Infiniti.

Toyota probably considered rebadging an RC350 for the Supra (the only feasible alternative), and I would take the Z4 chassis+B58 combo over that any day, versus the bragging rights over what factory it was made in. Think of the monstrosity that Acura is calling the Integra these days...

For what it really is, I would have to say the B58 appeals to my JDM senses the most.
Precisely this, i couldn't agree more with this assessment.

MisterSkiz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra, 2008 Lexus IS-F
I really wish we got the "JDM" front and rear bumpers that don't have the cut outs for the ugly reflectors - I bought some painted plugs for my car but have yet to install them.

When I heard JDM now I think of parts and items that are not sold here in the US due to regulations, or maybe they felt the market would not like it, etc.

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
It only matters if it matters to you.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
If the car's "final" destination wasn't Japan, RHD, etc. the whole nine, it wasn't even JDM though, Because it never entered the Japanese Domestic Market..

I'm not really sure what this thread is about. JDM matters a ton because JDM cars are a whole thing to import, register, blah blah blah.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
If the car's "final" destination wasn't Japan, RHD, etc. the whole nine, it wasn't even JDM though, Because it never entered the Japanese Domestic Market..

I'm not really sure what this thread is about. JDM matters a ton because JDM cars are a whole thing to import, register, blah blah blah.
It's more about how it doesn't really matter to the OP that the car is mechanically a BMW and that the "not a real Supra" arguments some fanbois make don't really matter anymore since it's no longer the 90s.

As to your point of buying JDM cars (and you got the definition spot on, JDM does mean sold for the Japanese market -- the location the car was manufactured doesn't actually factor in at all), everything you said about importing and registering is probably going to get a whole lot more challenging since the R34 Skyline is almost legal. Donut Media had a good video to watch about what's been happening of late: .

LoveSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A90 - 2019
Nothing can replace the classic JDM cars of the 90's. Those cars managed to create a legacy of their own that can never be forgotten.

With that being said, I believe the Mk5 Supra finds itself in a very niche position. This car has the most 2Jz-like engine you can find in this day and age. And with a few engine mods the car really changes character.
It has stunning looks from stock to the point where I want to do zero visual mods. It carries the name of a legend. And I must admit it took me a year or so of driving this car to finally embrace its future legendary status amongst the likes of the Mk4.

The Mk5 might never be part of the legacy created by the 90's JDM cars, but I believe it has created a new legacy of its own. One which pays tribute to the Mk4 in the best way possible.

OP
OP

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
It's more about how it doesn't really matter to the OP that the car is mechanically a BMW and that the "not a real Supra" arguments some fanbois make don't really matter anymore since it's no longer the 90s
Thanks that was exactly my intention with the thread, but I don't think I communicated it clearly. I owned nothing but Japanese cars for many years. Some of them (lots of RX-7's) were not really reliable, and some of them (Miata and Speed3, and 300Z) were very reliable. Lexus still has incredible build quality, but Nissan and Mitsubishi are not the same company and we (wife and I) have had two problematic Honda's in a row. Also had so so luck with Subaru (my BRZ was made in Japan and there were several big issues with the car). I never trusted the EJ engine on either of my WRX/STI's, and I really don't trust Honda like I used to. BMW has made strides in recent years so I just am not sure how big a deal it is anymore.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I believe so. JDM cars appeal to younger car guys because they are affordable to buy and build
JDM cars are.. the opposite of affordable. Last time I looked into it, the import taxes alone eclipsed the cost of the car.
Sponsored