Does the Supra have WiFi?

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
This may be a dumb question. I think it does but I’m not positive.
I’m asking because I’m looking at the Blackvue DR900s dash cam and want notifications to be sent to my phone.
Sponsored

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
Do you mean as a hotspot? I don’t think so. The Supra has WiFi, but as far as I know only to communicate with an iPhone for CarPlay purposes.

I have a Thinkware U1000, which can use a WiFi device or hotspot to upload data to the cloud, but it doesn’t detect the Supra and the car doesn’t detect the camera either.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Do you mean as a hotspot? I don’t think so. The Supra has WiFi, but as far as I know only to communicate with an iPhone for CarPlay purposes.

I have a Thinkware U1000, which can use a WiFi device or hotspot to upload data to the cloud, but it doesn’t detect the Supra and the car doesn’t detect the camera either.
do you have it hardwired? Any issues with battery draining?
I’m just trying to see if I can get a camera that will notify my phone of anything harmful at the exact moment without having to pay monthly.

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
do you have it hardwired? Any issues with battery draining?
I’m just trying to see if I can get a camera that will notify my phone of anything harmful at the exact moment without having to pay monthly.
I have it hardwired to the accessory fuse as per instructions you can find in this thread:

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/blackvue-dr900s-2ch-install-diy.4921/

Accessory power lasts about five or six minutes after you close all doors so the camera would then shut off and power back on as soon as a door or the hatch is open. No battery-drain danger. I do have a Thinkware backup camera for parking-mode purposes, and that will kick in as soon as the accessory power goes off. Depending where I park, I sometimes turn the camera off before I exit the car. One of the nice features about the U1000 is that it has a power button so I don’t have to unplug the camera When I want it off, and the camera will still power up once I open a door or the hatch. BTW, I found out I didn’t have to remove all the panels in the hatch area, as the person who wrote the instructions did; I can provide details if you’re interested.

I’m not sure if you can do remote notifications without a monthly fee, simply because you need some type of WiFi hotspot inside the car to get a message from the camera and relay it to your phone. The Blackvue 750 has LTE, but it will cost you $10 a month for cell service.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I have it hardwired to the accessory fuse as per instructions you can find in this thread:

Accessory power lasts about five or six minutes after you close all doors so the camera would then shut off and power back on as soon as a door or the hatch is open. No battery-drain danger. I do have a Thinkware backup camera for parking-mode purposes, and that will kick in as soon as the accessory power goes off. Depending where I park, I sometimes turn the camera off before I exit the car. One of the nice features about the U1000 is that it has a power button so I don’t have to unplug the camera When I want it off, and the camera will still power up once I open a door or the hatch. BTW, I found out I didn’t have to remove all the panels in the hatch area, as the person who wrote the instructions did; I can provide details if you’re interested.

I’m not sure if you can do remote notifications without a monthly fee, simply because you need some type of WiFi hotspot inside the car to get a message from the camera and relay it to your phone. The Blackvue 750 has LTE, but it will cost you $10 a month for cell service.
Thanks mate. Yeah I have the blackvue lte in my cart with a hardwiring system. I’m not sure if I need an external battery for this though...

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line

I went with the LTE blackvue and got the 20 hour pack

MannyC224

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Turbulence Grey "Supra35"
I went with the LTE blackvue and got the 20 hour pack
I did the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the battery back up for parking mode. Added a T-Mobile hotspot for $10/month and it charges from the USB port in battery pack. Camera's use the hotspot to send me alerts and I can access the camera live from my phone.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
This may be a dumb question. I think it does but I’m not positive.
I’m asking because I’m looking at the Blackvue DR900s dash cam and want notifications to be sent to my phone.
If it doesn’t have an independent WIFI, how does the app tell you where your car is or update the mileage? I had the car aligned the other day and followed the car on the app when the tech took it for a post alignment “check” aka joy ride ... BTW, I don't know the answer to the question.

MannyC224

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium Turbulence Grey "Supra35"
If it doesn’t have an independent WIFI, how does the app tell you where your car is or update the mileage? I had the car aligned the other day and followed the car on the app when the tech took it for a post alignment “check” aka joy ride ... BTW, I don't know the answer to the question.
It does have a wifi module. I've seen it a couple of times on my phone "Toyota1381XXX" it connects to it when I activate CarPlay. I have not been able to connect to it directly.

I'm assuming the Supra app uses the cellular radio in the car to track GPS location. Same as the emergency call system.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
Update. The car does not have the WiFi I am wanting. I went with the blackvue Dr750 that works with an lte SIM card chip so I will be instantly notified if anyone looks at my car from a distance.

OP
OP
Benjilis

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
I did the Blackvue DR900S-2CH with the battery back up for parking mode. Added a T-Mobile hotspot for $10/month and it charges from the USB port in battery pack. Camera's use the hotspot to send me alerts and I can access the camera live from my phone.
I did the same thing but with a sim chip lte and not a hotspot. The hotspot thing would have been like an extra $100. There is really little knowledge on dash cams and installations.
mom paying someone to do it right
He is going to use a relay for the fuse box. Now storing the external battery in a right spot is gonna be tough
Sponsored