lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
It would be interesting to note whether the majority of the bricked ECUs are happening on MY21's or just a random distribution amongst all. Could be yet another reason to be happy about missing out on all that "free" HP by getting a MY20?
I think in another thread about bricked ECU, MY20s were reported to have the same problem.
Sponsored

xyros

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition Supra
I was nervous about bringing my 2021 Supra to the dealer for the recall after reading all of these problems. I ended up dropping the car off yesterday and they finished it later that day without any problems. They even told me that the previous car they worked on required a new radio and they had to disassemble the entire center console to get to it.

If it weren't for my scheduled HPDE, I probably would have waited to get the recall. Let the dealerships figure out the proper way to do this on someone else's car. But after it is all said and done, I am glad this is over.

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
That's great man, happy for you. Did your HPDE organization require the recall to be done before you attend the event?
I was nervous about bringing my 2021 Supra to the dealer for the recall after reading all of these problems. I ended up dropping the car off yesterday and they finished it later that day without any problems. They even told me that the previous car they worked on required a new radio and they had to disassemble the entire center console to get to it.

If it weren't for my scheduled HPDE, I probably would have waited to get the recall. Let the dealerships figure out the proper way to do this on someone else's car. But after it is all said and done, I am glad this is over.

xyros

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition Supra
That's great man, happy for you. Did your HPDE organization require the recall to be done before you attend the event?
Yes, they even cancelled the previous one because they didn't have a remedy yet.

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Update: after a month+ finally the call came. The ECU arrived on Thursday morning, took them a whole day to install and test everything out before they called me and told me the great news.

I drove the car off with wide screen carplay, first thing on Friday morning. After two days (driving it to the mountains and took pictures of this beauty with the leaves, see attached) it seems fine. Just need to add all coding back—most annoying thing is that the screen is again dim af, need to code that.

It was one long month. They gave me a 4runner loaner and I used it well, but it was no Supra. I tried calling Toyota Corporate and had a case open but mostly they were just saying nice words but cannot accelerate the process. It all depends on when the chip could arrive, which seems to be out of the control of anyone at this particular time of global chip shortage+supply chain stress.

It’s good to have my baby back. Thanks for everyone on this thread and may this never happen to anyone ever again.

B172D941-BAA6-4146-BDC3-466E2BEF32C8.jpeg

DBBF811C-D383-4887-9BA0-3435FACB1773.jpeg

90762137-7E52-4949-A123-009158877F11.jpeg

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
Update: after a month+ finally the call came. The ECU arrived on Thursday morning, took them a whole day to install and test everything out before they called me and told me the great news.

I drove the car off with wide screen carplay, first thing on Friday morning. After two days (driving it to the mountains and took pictures of this beauty with the leaves, see attached) it seems fine. Just need to add all coding back—most annoying thing is that the screen is again dim af, need to code that.

It was one long month. They gave me a 4runner loaner and I used it well, but it was no Supra. I tried calling Toyota Corporate and had a case open but mostly they were just saying nice words but cannot accelerate the process. It all depends on when the chip could arrive, which seems to be out of the control of anyone at this particular time of global chip shortage+supply chain stress.

It’s good to have my baby back. Thanks for everyone on this thread and may this never happen to anyone ever again.

B172D941-BAA6-4146-BDC3-466E2BEF32C8.jpeg

DBBF811C-D383-4887-9BA0-3435FACB1773.jpeg

90762137-7E52-4949-A123-009158877F11.jpeg
Great news! Superb photos as well. Glad this has been worked out. We just need to be patient at times.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Just got a call from the dealership that the software update got messed up, and they have to keep it until Monday when they can contact Toyota :eek: Am I going down your path!!!??? ?
It seems we need to be present to ensure the tech does the update properly. I bet most of the bricked ECUs are from not having a battery charger hooked up.

The best of luck with yours.

-RJM

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Just got a call from the dealership that the software update got messed up, and they have to keep it until Monday when they can contact Toyota :eek: Am I going down your path!!!??? ?
This sounds horrifyingly familiar… I got a call on the day I sent her in, late in the afternoon, that “some issue” was coming up and they need another day—a day that turned into a month…

But it seems that there are other people on this thread whose “issue” got resolved the second day. So… fingers crossed for you.

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
To follow-up - I got the car back yesterday (Saturday). I guess a second attempt was made, and it went through. Relieved now :)
That’s great news! Hopefully they improved internal technical procedure or something.

I also have an update—Toyota Corporate gave me a $250 service & parts credit after many long phone calls.

Reactions: zrk

dbagdbag

First Name
Bag
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, 2021 F-150, 1999 XJ
I posted in the other thread too but mine is now going on week 4 with no eta on when the part will even ship to the dealer. I got Toyota corporate involved saying to start making my car payments for me and that seemed to get them more interested.

2021 untunable

Oh but I have a Nissan versa as a rental!!
Sponsored