ECU Bricked during Recall Update…

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I sent in my 2021 Supra to the dealership yesterday for the recall. They spent an entire day on it and told me today that, after a long call with Japan and Toyota engineers remotely taking over, they couldn’t do it and basically my ECU won’t “take” anything now. So basically it’s brick. The car is dead, can’t move, can’t do nothing, until they get a new ECU. And of course, the ECU is on national (or global?) back order, so I’ll have to wait who knows how long.

The dealership was pretty good regarding other things that they did on my Supra so I trusted them. (See my other post about the jammed hatch). They said they did the recall on other Supra(s) before but don’t know how things got wrong this time.

I was lured by the supposedly full screen carplay. Stupid me. Now my plans for the last couple trackdays in the season are all ruined. Just put new RT660s on and got new pads ready to be installed. :(

The only plus is dealer offered free loaner and I picked a 4runner. From the small sports car to that big ass truck!

Anyone experienced similar issue during the recall?
I actually decided to refuse the recall at the last service appt. On another note. How do you like those RT660s for street driving?
Sponsored

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
My recall work went fine and the dealership offered my $51k for my car. I said no.

That’s more than $2K more than I paid new.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 mkv 20 rx350 02 lightning 1923 tbucket hot rod
Damn...I have an appointment next month for oil change / recall which they said they'll need the car all day. I have about 3k miles on it and last week I had to add a quart of oil per the warning indicator. I brought this up with Toyota Carlsbad

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the concerning messages. Really appreciate it.

I don’t know whether I should blame the dealer. They said they did 4 or 5 recalls on Supras before, and none of these happened. They had their shop foreman working on my car along with two other experienced and Supra-certified mechanics helping him. They said that they followed everything according to the book but just an error message pops up. They followed the diagnose tree and turns out I need a replacement ECU.

If all what they said is true then it’s just a tragic misfortune. But Idk if someone along the line were skipping certain facts or missteps to avoid liability.

Anyways. Not much I can do right now. Just have to sit back and wait. Maybe try contacting Toyota corporate?

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Damn...I have an appointment next month for oil change / recall which they said they'll need the car all day. I have about 3k miles on it and last week I had to add a quart of oil per the warning indicator. I brought this up with Toyota Carlsbad
Yea they originally told me it’s gonna be an all day job.

3k miles and needing oil seems to be normal. I’ve done it twice so far (three if you count one time im driving someone else’s Supra and this need oil message pops up)

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
I actually decided to refuse the recall at the last service appt. On another note. How do you like those RT660s for street driving?
I should have refused.

I haven’t had the chance to take the RT660s on the street or anywhere yet. They were installed during the recall. The plan was to get everything done before the track weekend…

I’m curious about the street performance too, especially in the wet.

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Man, this sucks. I feel HORRIBLE for you, and truly appreciate that you're being reasonable with the dealer about it, because I'm sure they're internally irate this happened, and in crisis mode with Toyota.

Keep us posted on how this goes.
Yea they said they are pretty frustrated about it too, especially the store foreman who was working on it.

Appreciate the support man.

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Ecu bricked or headunit bricked? Sounds like dealership messed up during the update. There is a specific procedure they have to follow to the T.
Well what they said is that I need a new ECU…

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Sorry dude! I got super concerned about mine cause it took them ALL day, then they said they had issues and needed to keep it over night. Luckily they got it done and I was all set the 2nd day, but I was super worried.
Yea you are lucky man. They said they’ll have to keep it overnight and I didn’t realize how bad it could become until I got the call next day..

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium
Are they going to allow you on a track without the recall being done? NASA sent me an email a few weeks ago saying I would need to awknowledge that the recall will or has already been performed prior to my track day.
Didn’t hear about that. I went to two NASA events and wasn’t told to do the recall, but those event might pre-date the recall solution.
Which NASA region are you in?

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Didn’t hear about that. I went to two NASA events and wasn’t told to do the recall, but those event might pre-date the recall solution.
Which NASA region are you in?
NOLA region. Yea I was sent the email a few weeks after a remedy became available.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Seems like the recall needs a recall. Is this an issue with the Bosch MG1 ECU? In other words, is this bricking issue being caused by the layers of security locking down the ECU?

I am glad the dealer is trying to do right by you by giving you a decent loaner. That said, if it will take over a month to get a new ECU (and that seems slightly optimistic given supply chain challenges), and you have a car note on the Supra, query whether there is more the dealer could be doing here...

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Seems like the recall needs a recall. Is this an issue with the Bosch MG1 ECU? In other words, is this bricking issue being caused by the layers of security locking down the ECU?
It would be interesting to note whether the majority of the bricked ECUs are happening on MY21's or just a random distribution amongst all. Could be yet another reason to be happy about missing out on all that "free" HP by getting a MY20?

OP
OP
lingyunly

lingyunly

First Name
Yun
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2021 3.0 Premium

I am glad the dealer is trying to do right by you by giving you a decent loaner. That said, if it will take over a month to get a new ECU (and that seems slightly optimistic given supply chain challenges), and you have a car note on the Supra, query whether there is more the dealer could be doing here...
I agree that if it is true they are doing everything by the book, then someone else, either the recall process or the chip itself, needs a recall.
Fortunately, I own the car outright so no extra financial burden, but still the majority of the loss of joy of having such a fantastic car in the best season of the year cannot be quantified..
Sponsored