table

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 MKV Supra 3.0 Premium | Nitro Yellow
Hello all,

I live in California and looking for an exhaust for my MK5. I want to be able to leave the car in normal mode and stay at or under (similar to stock exhaust) 95db (the legal limit in CA). However, when put into sport mode, it opens the valves and becomes louder and sounds better. Additionally, it must be cat-back so that it is still legal (except for when in sport mode). I know Fi-Exhausts makes a catback exhaust for the supra that does have a valve system, however, the normal mode is well above 95db (119db). Does anyone know of any alternatives or am I out of luck? Thank you!
Sponsored

Janice

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 BRZ
Don't know the sound levels but the HKS and Remark are pretty quiet, and in my opinion, the best sounding with everything else stock. Not a fan of the crackle pitch of the Remark compared to others though, but that's all personal preference. Sucks in CA we are stuck with the crackles cause we can't do anything to our cars! (and the crackles get us pulled over, regardless of speed)

ckingho

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I believe HKS Dual (not the super turbo) has 90dbs with the valves closed. Several of us in the SF Bay Area compared exhaust not too long ago and my HKS is definitely slightly louder than the stock setup with the valves closed. However with the valves open you will get a little bit more punch.

PearlSup

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium Phantom
Everyone I know, including myself, have ran whatever aftermarket exhausts we’ve wanted. I personally run Tomei single-exit in SoCal with stock cat.

Unfortunately, it boils down to pure luck and awareness. You can get pulled over even with stock exhaust if you’re in sport mode.

Based off what I believe you’re looking for, Fi exhaust will be your best bet.

RaceReX

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium, 2009 SRF
Hello all,

I live in California and looking for an exhaust for my MK5. I want to be able to leave the car in normal mode and stay at or under (similar to stock exhaust) 95db (the legal limit in CA). However, when put into sport mode, it opens the valves and becomes louder and sounds better. Additionally, it must be cat-back so that it is still legal (except for when in sport mode). I know Fi-Exhausts makes a catback exhaust for the supra that does have a valve system, however, the normal mode is well above 95db (119db). Does anyone know of any alternatives or am I out of luck? Thank you!
You might try asking those in California that track their cars what systems they use.

IIRC, every track we use in NorCal does have a hard limit of 105 db or below for track days.

I instruct, but I have left my car stock. Ive seen a few other MKVs, but not had a chance to talk to them about what mods they have.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I believe HKS Dual (not the super turbo) has 90dbs with the valves closed. Several of us in the SF Bay Area compared exhaust not too long ago and my HKS is definitely slightly louder than the stock setup with the valves closed. However with the valves open you will get a little bit more punch.
Have you compared with the Super Turbo? Curious if the super turbo is much louder than stock in either mode. How do you like the dual setup?

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
I got the HKS Turbo, its very tamed, haven't had issues from cops yet on it. In sport mode, you can tell its louder but still quieter than other exhaust i've heard from other A90s.

Timmy_Jones

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23’ 3.0 Base
I got the HKS Turbo, its very tamed, haven't had issues from cops yet on it. In sport mode, you can tell its louder but still quieter than other exhaust i've heard from other A90s.
Stock downpipe? So you ever wish it was louder?

AutoDelight

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' A91 Supra, 04' RX-8 GT, 95' RX-7 Base
Stock downpipe? So you ever wish it was louder?
Stock downpipe. I'm happy with it. I was looking for something subtle in terms of sound, wasn't trying to be obnoxious and have something with titanium tips that still utilized the factory valves. This met all the criteria for me. In Sport Mode, its louder but not annoying (imo) but you can definitely hear the exhaust. I plan on matching it with the HKS intake (as soon as i find a CF box) which will get me a little more aggressive intake sound.

I may plan on doing a downpipe at one point but totally content with the way it sounds right now but definitely a little more aggressive than OEM especially in sport mode. You get a deeper tone when normal driving but still very tame.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Spelled USSR wrong! just playin, the Active autowerke catback is very tame with the valves closed, and sounds great with them open. SHS system I run on my car is the same way, not much louder then stock valves closed but a much nicer smoother old school jdm 6 tone. LMK can you get a bunch of options.

D3ad_Hand

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra / 2019 Y61 Nissan Patrol
Armytrix and valvetronic have what you’re looking for. A bit expensive though. Also you can go with magnaflow and have the passengers side (valved side) straight pipe and the drivers side with a muffler. When you go into sport mode and it opens the valves it’s basically the same idea.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Pretty much all exhausts will be louder than that level.

Akrapovic is a good California option, not too loud, retains OEM valves. Tips don't draw too much attention.

-Josh

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Pretty much all exhausts will be louder than that level.

Akrapovic is a good California option, not too loud, retains OEM valves. Tips don't draw too much attention.

-Josh
This,

when I paid a visit to the state referee of the great state of California he measured my stock exhaust at 94.6 (.4 under) he even said some tests were above 95 as a fully stock 2021. If you’re worried about decibels don’t get an exhaust tbh. I think the afe takeda Is valved and pretty quiet.

btw the referee does a visual check, if you get a ticket you’ll need to go to stock anywat
Sponsored