FIXED: Speaker hiss even when muted?

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I have the Jarama edition car, so the 10 speaker setup. When I've muted the speakers and/or turned them way down, there's still fairly noticeable hiss/whine coming from the speakers, even with the engine off! It's noticeable at highway speed too if not playing any music, though obviously not as badly over the road noise. The choice of media output (radio, bluetooth, etc) makes no difference. Has anyone else had anything like this and got it resolved by Toyota, or themselves?

Edit--
Copying this post below for anyone visiting the thread so they don't have to dig for the fix I went for in the end:

I fixed it in the end by going aftermarket

I recoded the head unit to output audio on the MOST bus, and at this point I could tell the issue was the head unit output: now that it was no longer outputting analogue audio at all, the only noise from the speakers was an extremely faint hiss from the amp that was barely audible even with your ear against the speaker - this was the factory amp noise floor. So, by elimination, the head unit low level hifi output was the problem, or something interfering in the analogue signal path between it and the amp anyway.

So, now I have MOST audio output, I had a shop install an Audison Bit DMI to convert the MOST signal to toslink (and they discovered the HU is not wired into any MOST system in this car, so this was super simple), and an Audison APf 8.9bit amp, entirely replacing the factory amp.

Any DMI would do. The Audison unit here is a rebranded MoBridge DA1 apparently. A Helix SDMI25 would also have worked I believe. MoBridge also make amps that accept MOST directly.

The Bit DMI doesn't seem to send the remote on/off signal for the amp that it should for some reason, so we had to wire the amp on/off to an accessory fuse like you would a dash cam. Not a big deal but Audison are looking into it apparently and will have a software update to rectify this and remove the need for the fuse tap at some point. Something to do with this Model Year of the car.

On top, the installer ran time correction etc for me, and I have to say the sound improvement is drastic. Even with stock speakers, it sounds 10x better.

Coding with bimmercode was as follows:

Headunit > Expert mode > Search > AMPLIFIER_VARIANT = most
Headunit > Expert mode > Search > AUDIO_SYSTEM = tophifi
Headunit > Expert mode > Search > EXTERNER_MOST = aktiv

Oh, and for those of you in the London, UK area, Sextons were the guys who did the work for me. Very professional, kept me updated, super happy with the results!
Sponsored

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: B54

GorillaGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21' Premium, 08' Tacoma 2WD, 10' FJ Cruiser
Have you tried resetting the battery? Just remove the black ground from the battery for like 5 minutes and see it that fixes it. I had a similar problem with the stereo when I first bought the car and this fixed it.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have you tried resetting the battery? Just remove the black ground from the battery for like 5 minutes and see it that fixes it. I had a similar problem with the stereo when I first bought the car and this fixed it.
I gave it a go, thanks for the idea, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue (and it did seem to reset as I had to reset the time)

Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 G42 M240i
I gave it a go, thanks for the idea, unfortunately it didn't fix the issue (and it did seem to reset as I had to reset the time)
No hissing or high pitched noise with mine and I pickup on sounds like this quite easily.
Bit of a tricky one to try and fix, Maybe try pulling the fuse that's used for the speakers? Not sure if that would help.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, I don't fancy fiddling about with electronics too much just yet, so I've booked it in. I'll update here with whatever happens in case anyone else has the same issue at some point.

Reactions: zrk

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
Try turning off the active sound. That seemed to fix mine.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Try turning off the active sound. That seemed to fix mine.
Wondered about that, you had the same exact issue then?

I'd kinda like Toyota to sort it before I go fiddling with bimmercode, in case I decide I actually like the ASD!

kanpen

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FX35 FZ09 Supra A91
Yeah I noticed the same thing. Turning off the active ASD helped, I did miss the ASD though. I may be in the minority but I enjoy it.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91, wrangler JK
I have the same problem too
I deactivate the ASD and it still there. I’ll try the battery thing.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Turning off ASD didn't help for me, must be an amp connection since it's all speakers. Coded ASD back on for now, goes to the dealer next week.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So it went to the dealer, who promptly tried to claim "it's just how these cars are", despite the fact it wasn't present on any of the demo cars I drove... Though they were surprised when I reiterated this happens with engine off, speakers muted, so they probably thought I meant something else. Maybe they're all deaf?

Pushed back on that a bit, and they've ordered a new amp to be fitted at some point soon. Probably overkill, it's almost certainly going to be loose connections somewhere, but I suppose it can't hurt and they'll at least connect it all up again carefully ?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91, wrangler JK
in my case. the sound different when i re-coded the ASD by bimmer code.
i took it to the dealer. noticed that the sound is not there when the car is not on. only when you turn it you can hear it. they assumed it is from the ASD thing in back of the trunk.
they will do more test & assessment.
i will keep you updated guys.

OP
OP
JP_

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Was it only happening when the engine was on for you? In my case it's happening even with engine off, but only with electrics on. If I turn off the car from the idrive and leave the door open so I can hear, it eventually stops when all the electrics finally shut off.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra A91, wrangler JK
Was it only happening when the engine was on for you? In my case it's happening even with engine off, but only with electrics on. If I turn off the car from the idrive and leave the door open so I can hear, it eventually stops when all the electrics finally shut off.
Only when the engine is on.
Sponsored