Flat tire contingency plan?

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2018 Civic Type R
A couple of weeks ago at around 9pm at night I got the treaded tire pressure loss notification which told me to slow down and pull over. Sure enough, I heard some noise and found a screw drilled into my rear driver side wheel. It was hissing like a snake.

I called 24/7 Toyota's Road Side Assistance and was greeted by an english-as-a-second language operator. He was courteous but his promises didnt keep, the tow truck never came and the tire was hissing away to flat land. It's almost 11pm at the time and the tire pressure has gone down to 26psi. There's no way this thing will hold till Discount Tire opens so I'll have to fill it with sealant. It was really easy to use, just follow the instructions in the manual but be aware that its really loud.

After filling it with sealant I looked into getting the tire replaced. Some cost breakdown if you go the dealer route. If you use the factory sealant you'll ruin the tire pressure sensor and that'll cost you $120. Other sealants are Tire Pressure Safe but apparently not the one BMW gave you. The pilot sports are ~$300 and with labor youre looking at north of $600 with a day turn around time. Local shops may vary but my shop (aka my uncle) got it done for considerably less.

zamiel

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1991 MR2 Turbo, 2018 Honda Civic Sport, 2020 Supra
I just ordered one of these tire repair kits to be on the safe side after reading this thread. Probably overkill, but still cheap enough. I don't have the patience to wait for Road Side Assistance if there's any chance I don't have to. And I'd also rather avoid using the factory sealant if at all possible.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
I finally got around to exploring the back of the car and the "emergency" kit that was added to boost the dealer price. There is not much to help in trouble. In the fuse panel area you get a tow eye, a little screw driver, an inflator and the goo canister. The inflator does not appear to be something you can activate without the canister plugged in. I unwrapped it and hooked it up to a different car- and no matter what I did (including prodding the canister port with the little bmw screw driver) I couldn't get that sucker to turn on.

In the emergency kit there is not much to help either, it is more of a survival kit. There are some gloves, rain parker, mylar blanket, jumper cables, flashlight-

There is no concept of a scissor jack anywhere or any way to get the wheel off preloaded. Even the warning triangle compartment is empty but that might be the NA market.

So to slightly improve my chances of survival, I am ditching the goo canister and inflator for an inflator that does not require the goo canister. I also added a proper tire patch kit to the emergency kit (reamer tool, plug tool, plugs and rubber cement). Sure it wont help with a side wall puncture but there aren't much sidewalls and nothing short of a donut will get you out of that kind of flat anyway. At least with a proper plug you wont ruin the inside of the tire but it requires an inflator that will not defeat the purpose.

While still no way to lift the car, I also added a ratchet that is capable of pulling off the lugs. One "less" component to worry about if the wheel needs to come off.
I checked my car after reading this and i DO have a warning triangle in the trunk. I'd check with you dealer and ask where it is. it's actually pretty nice and I hope to never need to use it.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hmm, weird, do you have a Premium? I wouldn't imagine my dealer throws them in for the hell of it.
Yeah, premium with driver assist. Part number was readily available and the manual suggests that it should be there. I figured it was a North American thing not having it...like the rear accessory power outlet, puddle lights and d-rings and such.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
US model BMWs stopped getting the triangle some years ago (even though the cars still have a spot for them). I am surprised if the US Supra includes one.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD
I pulled my window sticker to see if it was listed on there. Nope. So I don't know if it was supposed to be there or not.

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2 months ago I got my rear tire replaced at a dealer. Today while washing my car I noticed that they put 255s instead of 275s on the rear tire. And yes, I feel like a newbie not noticing the size difference but heck, I trusted the guys. Now I know better not to trust the guys at Norm Reeves Toyota. Do you think I can expect them the replace the tire for free with no cost to labor? Do you think I can get a free rental from it?

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
2 months ago I got my rear tire replaced at a dealer. Today while washing my car I noticed that they put 255s instead of 275s on the rear tire. And yes, I feel like a newbie not noticing the size difference but heck, I trusted the guys. Now I know better not to trust the guys at Norm Reeves Toyota. Do you think I can expect them the replace the tire for free with no cost to labor? Do you think I can get a free rental from it?
Did you ever get your tires replaced? They put the wrong sizes on. Hopefully they just took care of it with no issues.

orvillesd

First Name
Orville
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Did you ever get your tires replaced? They put the wrong sizes on. Hopefully they just took care of it with no issues.
Yup, they replaced them free of charge. I didn't have to pay for labor or parts.

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am curious what people’s plan is: driving around town and suddenly the unthinkable happens and you get a flat.
While i never intend to use the spray in goo, what if that will not even save you?

call toyota road side? Get a tow company to send a flat bed? Leave it on scissor jack as you wander off with a wheel to try to get a replacement? What is the plan people are intending to utilize?
Hey, I was thinking the same thing; however Toyota sells a emergency repair kit for it. I ordered one just in case. I had an experience where I ran over a long construction nail and luckily it didn't puncture the tire. So, I decided to get this instead so I can drive until I reach a dealership. Here is a link

https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota_2020_Supra/REPAIR-KIT---TUBELESS-TIRE/78452552/42606WAA01.html

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am used to this from my previous 4C and it is a worry. If it is a slow leak, you can fill it with air and hobble to a tire place. Otherwise, goo or tow. Vet your tire shop though. When I had a nail/leak previously, the first two shops wouldn't touch the car.
There is an emergency tire fix a flat canaster in the right side of the trunk. Its Its located in the panel. Its not much, but should get you to the nearest gas station.

20200521_170730.jpg

OP
OP
Natek

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
Great for blowing gloo in your tire that will ultimately trash it