Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
There's another thread going on about this. From other groups and FB Groups this looks like it affects all B58 engines, and is actually pretty serious. It also seems that this is a software update, and will, at worst, require another bench unlock. If you drive this thing daily, and isn't a track queen, you should probably do it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is bullshit. Lol.
The ABS system is separate from the ECU.
If you were calling bullshit on your own comment, then yes. ABS controls are parameters are handled in the ECU, as well as power window relays, headlight functionality, any well, everything else. .

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
I just talked to my Toyota mechanic, and he said yes this will involve locking all ECUs. Toyota is apparently looking at the high number of crashes/totaled out vehicles and making an effort to prevent all ECU tunes.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota is apparently looking at the high number of crashes/totaled out vehicles and making an effort to prevent all ECU tunes.
The recall affects all BMW B58s, interesting that your mechanic is saying Toyota is looking at these numbers. I wonder where that information is coming from.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
The locking of "tunable" ecu's has nothing to do with Toyota trying to stop all tunes. Is it an unfortunate side effect of the recall work, YES it is, but Toyota is not out there trying to lock all ECU's. Even if 2020 ECU's were locked again due to the update, they can easily be bench unlocked again. There are no black helicopters outside your window

The 2021 ECU locks were done at a hardware level by BOSCH, not Toyota/BMW.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The locking of "tunable" ecu's has nothing to do with Toyota trying to stop all tunes. Is it an unfortunate side effect of the recall work, YES it is, but Toyota is not out there trying to lock all ECU's. Even if 2020 ECU's were locked again due to the update, they can easily be bench unlocked again. There are no black helicopters outside your window

The 2021 ECU locks were done at a hardware level by BOSCH, not Toyota/BMW.
This guy gets it.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I just talked to my Toyota mechanic, and he said yes this will involve locking all ECUs. Toyota is apparently looking at the high number of crashes/totaled out vehicles and making an effort to prevent all ECU tunes.

Unfortunately, any time they connect via the OBD II port for any service, it has the potential to wipe out your tune. it's just the nature of them connecting to your ECU and updating it with the current Toyota software.

It has nothing to do with Tune's or crash data.

Reactions: zrk