Ford Mustang GT500 or Nissan GT-R Premium?

New 2020 Ford Mustang GT500 or Used 2017 Nissan GT-R Premium

• 2020 Ford Mustang GT500

• 2017 Nissan GT-R Premium

Results are only viewable after voting.

cooldude346

First Name
Muqeet
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 BMW 335i E90 FBO
Hello Supra forum users,

I hope that everyone is having a great day! I know this question is completely unrelated to the Supra but I wanted to ask on a neutral forum.

To give you guys some background, I am a 24 year old med student who is a car enthusiast. Since I am usually super busy with academics I don't have the time to work on my car as much as I would like. Nonetheless, I appreciate driving my car every day. On weekends I usually drive back home (500 mile round trip) and on weekdays I only drive to the gym or to get groceries 5-10 miles. With that being said I drive around 25k miles a year.

My current car is a 2007 BMW 335i E90 and I love that car. It has 152k miles on it and I got it 4 years ago when it had 50k miles. I've modified it with a tune, DCIs, intercooler, and catback exhaust. I have also gotten it custom wrapped. When its running optimally its really fast and sounds nice too. I get compliments on it all the time (even though its worth about $6-7k:))

I have been in the market to get a new car for some time now. I was really considering a Supra before the specs were officially launched. I even started this thread because I was super interested in the MKV: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/plans-for-your-new-supra.1600/

However, I realized that the Supra does not make the sort of power that I am looking for given its 60k price range. It's not really much faster than my modified 3 series. Furthermore, I prefer a 2+2 coupe rather than a straight up small 2 seater. I know the Supra has a lot of potential (I saw that insta video of that 10 second Supra lol).

However, I really don't have the time to modify the next car I get with everything going on. Aside from some window tints and front end clear coat protection, I am looking forward to driving the car bone stock. With that being said I want it to be as powerful and fun as possible if I am spending upwards of 70k.

Thats why I bring up this question. A new 2020 Mustang GT500 will cost me around 75k and I can pick up a used 2017/2018 GTR with less than 15k miles for around 75k also. If I get the GTR it has to be the latest body style (2017+).

I'm torn between these two cars. Both are amazing machines in my opinion. What do you fellow car enthusiasts think is a better option for me and why do you think so?
This car will be my daily driver and I will drive it about 25k miles a year. I live in Virginia (so the weather is not too bad and I can definitely manage a RWD monster even in the winter). I plan to buy in Spring 2020!
Sponsored

kona61

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sold Launch Edition Supra #445
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Supra forum users,

I hope that everyone is having a great day! I know this question is completely unrelated to the Supra but I wanted to ask on a neutral forum.

To give you guys some background, I am a 24 year old med student who is a car enthusiast. Since I am usually super busy with academics I don't have the time to work on my car as much as I would like. Nonetheless, I appreciate driving my car every day. On weekends I usually drive back home (500 mile round trip) and on weekdays I only drive to the gym or to get groceries 5-10 miles. With that being said I drive around 25k miles a year.

My current car is a 2007 BMW 335i E90 and I love that car. It has 152k miles on it and I got it 4 years ago when it had 50k miles. I've modified it with a tune, DCIs, intercooler, and catback exhaust. I have also gotten it custom wrapped. When its running optimally its really fast and sounds nice too. I get compliments on it all the time (even though its worth about $6-7k:))

I have been in the market to get a new car for some time now. I was really considering a Supra before the specs were officially launched. I even started this thread because I was super interested in the MKV: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/plans-for-your-new-supra.1600/

However, I realized that the Supra does not make the sort of power that I am looking for given its 60k price range. It's not really much faster than my modified 3 series. Furthermore, I prefer a 2+2 coupe rather than a straight up small 2 seater. I know the Supra has a lot of potential (I saw that insta video of that 10 second Supra lol).

However, I really don't have the time to modify the next car I get with everything going on. Aside from some window tints and front end clear coat protection, I am looking forward to driving the car bone stock. With that being said I want it to be as powerful and fun as possible if I am spending upwards of 70k.

Thats why I bring up this question. A new 2020 Mustang GT500 will cost me around 75k and I can pick up a used 2017/2018 GTR with less than 15k miles for around 75k also. If I get the GTR it has to be the latest body style (2017+).

I'm torn between these two cars. Both are amazing machines in my opinion. What do you fellow car enthusiasts think is a better option for me and why do you think so?
This car will be my daily driver and I will drive it about 25k miles a year. I live in Virginia (so the weather is not too bad and I can definitely manage a RWD monster even in the winter). I plan to buy in Spring 2020!
Wait a second, you're a med school student and you want to drop 75k on a car? Aren't you in crippling debt and about to have to go through residency with a wage less than the cars you mentioned? Doesn't seem to make financial sense to me, but that's not for me to judge.

I don't think your decision is going to be as easy as that. The GT500 is likely already allocated out and will probably have ridiculous markups like the supra. It will probably be pretty hard to get the chance to buy one, much less at a reasonable price.

On the other hand, the GTR seems like a good choice, but you must keep ownership costs in mind. It has absolutely ridiculous maintenance costs; 25k miles a year will likely do a number on your wallet. Also, they aren't the best daily drivers. The ride is pretty rough and the transmission is not smooth for a DCT.

Honestly, if I was in your position, I would probably buy a M2 Competition or just buy a Mustang PP2 with a Roush supercharger.

Or you could buy a Supra, mine's pretty f*cking fast.

white_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2009 Nissan GTR/2006 Mitsubishi Evo/2020 Toyota Supra (maybe?)
Vehicle Showcase
Buy a Supra and a tune, no other modification needed if you want more power only.

IMO, using either the GT500 or GTR as a daily is stupid. I own a GTR, while it is relatively comfortable I wouldn't want to daily it. It eats gas and pretty stiff for the streets (2017+ is likely a lot better but still). GT500 is likely just as silly.

F1nest11

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Ren Red 2.0 Premium, 13 Nissan GT-R, 07 Honda Accord
Short answer:
If somebody put a gun to my head and I had to pick one car to deal with everyday, I would choose the GTR due to dealing with snow etc.

Long Answer:
Coming from a person who has both a Supra and GTR, this is a semi tough answer. Supra is WAY more refined, sounds better, and as white_turbo said it wont kill gas like the GTR. From your current position, you wouldn't notice the GTR ride quality and "harshness" but after getting the Supra i am started to dread my GTR ride quality. Yes the GTR is fast as balls and is a car I truly believe anybody and everybody should have, but as a daily the gas is really a pain. The infotainment system is also lacking in the car as well relative to the Supra. Now the Supra shortfalls are, it is slower than HIGH performance cars and in crappy weather it won't handle as well as the GTR. Also the Supra has lack of storage space and compact relative to a GTR. I think the Supra is semi overpriced right now (should be like 50-55k out the door)

In terms of GTR maintenance I dealt with the trans issue(2k fix) brakes (sub 1k). Fluid cost around (1500) which includes: Brake flush, Oil changes, Trans flush. So yeah I dealt with about 5k in ownership cost, but ZERO regrets. I have a MY13 and drive it often as well.

GTR is a wild experience, but if I was in your shoes i'd go Supra. The GTR already went through the paces (alpha package, widebody, etc.) so they are boring in new development area. The Supra is fresh and so much potential for this platform which will make ownership a lot of fun.
Sponsored