Formula 1 Talk

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Is it just me or has this new car really exposed the lack of talent in the pay drivers?
Sponsored

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Damn good qualy lap from Leclerc. I knew he was going to go faster than his first lap, but I was not expecting that much of a jump in pace.

I hope Carlos can fight his way toward the front to at least help fend off the Red Bulls a bit.

Red Bull looks really good as well, and their race pace is usually much better than their qualy pace.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Damn good qualy lap from Leclerc. I knew he was going to go faster than his first lap, but I was not expecting that much of a jump in pace.

I hope Carlos can fight his way toward the front to at least help fend off the Red Bulls a bit.

Red Bull looks really good as well, and their race pace is usually much better than their qualy pace.
Yeah RBR was saying they went with a more race oriented setup. They're 9 kph faster down the straight, coupled with a chunky tow, pole might be the worst place to start in. By lap 3 he's going to have both Bulls up his trumpet.

gixxersixxerman

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
The amount of bounce these cars have are crazy. And the Mercs seem to have it the worst. But all the cars. Seems like it’s a fundamental flaw with ground effect cars. Will be interesting to see how this car evolves around it. Looks like Ferrari is really bad also but just doesn’t affect the car as much.

I think it’s going to be a decent race for the front 4 cars at least for a few laps, then probably a DRS train for mid field again.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok race. Was hoping to see how the Ferrari vs RBR strategy was going to play out. 4 DNF's all Ferrari powered. Max was on a mission today. 20 seconds up the road from his teammate sends a strong message.
Hamilton laying it on way too thick getting out the car. 19 others jumped right out, including his teammate.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Ok race. Was hoping to see how the Ferrari vs RBR strategy was going to play out. 4 DNF's all Ferrari powered. Max was on a mission today. 20 seconds up the road from his teammate sends a strong message.
Hamilton laying it on way too thick getting out the car. 19 others jumped right out, including his teammate.

Happy to see Max and, Red Bull in general, looking good. He deserves to win the championship this year.
I really want to see a close battle between Ferrari and Red Bull.
I'm happy with either team taking the gold, so every race has been enjoyable for me.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Happy to see Max and, Red Bull in general, looking good. He deserves to win the championship this year.
I really want to see a close battle between Ferrari and Red Bull.
I'm happy with either team taking the gold, so every race has been enjoyable for me.
Yeah me too. Charles and Max are even on DNF's now, but look at the difference. Red Bull's were related to a fuel pickup, while Ferrari are blowing engines. You could literally hear the turbo giving up. This was Charles' third engine already, and Max just swapped to his second this weekend, and still has his first in the pool for practices and such. Only thing he's used so far is an exhaust, which they get 8 of. Crazy.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The amount of bounce these cars have are crazy. And the Mercs seem to have it the worst. But all the cars. Seems like it’s a fundamental flaw with ground effect cars. Will be interesting to see how this car evolves around it. Looks like Ferrari is really bad also but just doesn’t affect the car as much.

I think it’s going to be a decent race for the front 4 cars at least for a few laps, then probably a DRS train for mid field again.
New aero rules are kind of a bust so far. Didn't improve the racing and the cars are still dependent on DRS for passing. A move away from purely passive suspension back to something closer to active suspension might help with the porpoising and bottoming out but that would be a huge change to the rules and undermines the push to make the cars cheaper to develop. And it still might not get the cars off of DRS dependency, which was basically the point of all these aero changes.

I guess you could mandate a minimum ride height but that just screws over RB, who have this all figured out (and will take both championships easily as a result). Probably just need to wait and see if car evolution will eventually close the gap and fix the issue for next season.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
New aero rules are kind of a bust so far. Didn't improve the racing and the cars are still dependent on DRS for passing. A move away from purely passive suspension back to something closer to active suspension might help with the porpoising and bottoming out but that would be a huge change to the rules and undermines the push to make the cars cheaper to develop. And it still might not get the cars off of DRS dependency, which was basically the point of all these aero changes.

I guess you could mandate a minimum ride height but that just screws over RB, who have this all figured out (and will take both championships easily as a result). Probably just need to wait and see if car evolution will eventually close the gap and fix the issue for next season.
I disagree somewhat. The racing has been much better with the new rules. You can see that the cars can follow much closer through the turns. The first few races there were some great battles. The lack of which now are two fold, the tracks, mainly street circuits which are hard to pass on, and Ferrari checking out early. Today would've been a great battle to see if Max or Charles had the strategy right, and if Max was right and caught up to Charles after his second stop, if he would've passed him. And Perez also. Barcelona the DRS stopped Max from overtaking Russell quickly, or we'd have had an interesting battle again with Leclerc (till the engine blew again) so it's not entirely the rules' fault.
Mercedes just got it all wrong, and they're pushing for active suspension for "health" reasons, but I'm sure we all see through their BS right?
Next up is Canada, and although technically a street circuit, it's always a fantastic race, especially if it rains. So hopefully Ferrari can get their shit together, dial their engine back to the reliable levels of the start of the season, and we can have a great battle.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 964, Tacoma, 2021 Absolute Zero Premium
It’s great to see 3 manufacturers on the podium.

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What a race!! I’d love to be a fly on the wall during the Ferrari de-brief

OP
OP
RWhiz

RWhiz

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Great job Carlos for not giving a 10 car cushion for LeClerc like I said, it’ll be an interesting de-brief

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Although the safety car created some damn good racing at the end, I kinda wanted to see Hamilton chase the Ferraris at the end.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Very happy to see Sainz get his first pole and win. I'm a big fan of the man on and off the track. Good race, too. It's been a fun season. Going to be awesome seeing these cars at COTA in October! Will be my first race in person since the 90s.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just glad Zhou is ok. The roll bar completely disintegrated which is absolutely not supposed to happen. Zhou got very lucky. The halo thankfully protected him, even though that was the roll bar's job in that situation. He's lucky the car didn't catch on fire being wedged like that.
Sponsored