Frameless windows Freezing.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I hope Toyota knows this is happening.
I'm sure they do but it's not only them. MB, Tesla, BMW, Mini basically any model with frameless windows can have this issue.

I can't imagine what it would have been like if my gf ran into this in the morning on the way to work....well it would have resulted in her taking my truck lol.

Right now I have the Supra in the garage with the garage heater on and it melted all the snow/ice. I'm keeping the doors open over night to allow things to hopefully dry and will hit it with the gummi tomorrow.

The main culprit (gasket on the door which sits flush with the window) seems like it may be a PITA to get the stuff on. Seems you have to peel it back and I think I saw the "fuzzy" gasket in there too.

I'll post back after I finish but I sure hope this solves the issue.

I saw another video where the person took a credit card and ran it between the window and seal on the door - that's another option but with cold rubber I would be worried about tearing it.

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I'm sure they do but it's not only them. MB, Tesla, BMW, Mini basically any model with frameless windows can have this issue.

I can't imagine what it would have been like if my gf ran into this in the morning on the way to work....well it would have resulted in her taking my truck lol.

Right now I have the Supra in the garage with the garage heater on and it melted all the snow/ice. I'm keeping the doors open over night to allow things to hopefully dry and will hit it with the gummi tomorrow.

The main culprit (gasket on the door which sits flush with the window) seems like it may be a PITA to get the stuff on. Seems you have to peel it back and I think I saw the "fuzzy" gasket in there too.

I'll post back after I finish but I sure hope this solves the issue.

I saw another video where the person took a credit card and ran it between the window and seal on the door - that's another option but with cold rubber I would be worried about tearing it.
I was going to rent an Aston Martin DB 11, a year or two ago. It had that type of windows and the previous renter experience the window not going down an inch or so. The owner had to take it to the dealership, so I never got to rent it. This issue was definitely not due to cold weather.

Many years ago, when I lived in CT, I had to pour hot water on my Mazda RX3 driver's door lock to get it to unlock. You would think that cold weather testing would be mandatory for every electrical/mechanical system in vehicles. Rain followed by frigid temps would be a good way to check for situations such as your own and my old RX3.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I was going to rent an Aston Martin DB 11, a year or two ago. It had that type of windows and the previous renter experience the window not going down an inch or so. The owner had to take it to the dealership, so I never got to rent it. This issue was definitely not due to cold weather.

Many years ago, when I lived in CT, I had to pour hot water on my Mazda RX3 driver's door lock to get it to unlock. You would think that cold weather testing would be mandatory for every electrical/mechanical system in vehicles. Rain followed by frigid temps would be a good way to check for situations such as your own and my old RX3.
I agree but I still feel that most manufacturers are aware of it but haven’t been forced to fix it.

The problem you describe sounds mechanical which is another point - the design sucks. And when the battery is dead it’s the same thing (that happened on my E46 M3).

I did some research since this happened and handles and windows freezing are a common problem on Teslas as well.

I mean I get that some situations can’t be prevented - like the door welding to the frame with ice which happened to me when I was a kid.

Hot water on a handle seems to work but I would never do it on a window for fear of it shattering.

What was most frustrating to me is I couldn’t drive it to warm it up after 1/2 hour of running until I learned on this thread the seatbelt had to be on.

Most people don’t know to use a parking brake and pretty sure they wouldn’t realize about the seatbelt as there was no message.

Sorry for the rant but stupid designs and nanny tech which could cause someone to be stranded really irks me!

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
What was most frustrating to me is I couldn’t drive it to warm it up after 1/2 hour of running until I learned on this thread the seatbelt had to be on.

Most people don’t know to use a parking brake and pretty sure they wouldn’t realize about the seatbelt as there was no message.
This is a thing? I've driven without my seatbelt on. It just chimes until you out it on.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is a thing? I've driven without my seatbelt on. It just chimes until you out it on.
It happens if the door is open. Kept putting it into park regardless if I was in drive or reverse.

The reason the door was open was because I couldn’t close it because the window was frozen in the up position and needs to lower slightly to clear the gasket on the body.

This is a BMW thing (happens on my X3M). Mildly annoying when you just want to pull it forward a few feet with the door open say to align to ramps or something. In this case I had to put on the seatbelt to drive it. Wasn’t aware of that u til I found this thread.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
It happens if the door is open. Kept putting it into park regardless if I was in drive or reverse.

The reason the door was open was because I couldn’t close it because the window was frozen in the up position and needs to lower slightly to clear the gasket on the body.

This is a BMW thing (happens on my X3M). Mildly annoying when you just want to pull it forward a few feet with the door open say to align to ramps or something. In this case I had to put on the seatbelt to drive it. Wasn’t aware of that u til I found this thread.
Then why say it's because of the seatbelt. It's not, it's the door that's the issue. You can drive with the seat belt on or off.

Yli

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
I'm gonna hop in this thread too and ask a window question... does anyone else have an issue (mainly in the cold during winter) where they'll open a door and then close it and the window will literally roll itself halfway down? I'm not talking about the small drop to clear the weather strip. It literally rolls about ⅔ of the way down and stays there.

I can't seem to replicate it, it just happens randomly. It's caused me to be walk away from my car a few times basically leaving it wide open because I had no idea the window dropped down.
Any chance the key is pressing the unlock button in your pocket? You can press and hold unlock to roll em down, or lock to roll em up. I've had that happen inadvertently a few times.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Any chance the key is pressing the unlock button in your pocket? You can press and hold unlock to roll em down, or lock to roll em up. I've had that happen inadvertently a few times.
Yeah I thought about something like that too but its literally only one window at a time, usually the passenger side. I thought even maybe some snow or ice was resting on the "button" on the exterior door handles simulating a finger touch and hold causing the window to roll down but that wasn't it either. I've had it happen in decent weather as well with a passenger simply getting out of my car and when they go to close the door the window just rolls itself down for no reason. Its so bizarre...

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I have no issues with my frameless windows driving below-freezing weather temps

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have no issues with my frameless windows driving below-freezing weather temps
It's not so much the temp as it is the temp + water = ice.

They work fine if it is dry, its when it snows, then melts, then freezes that causes the issue.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
So I just put on the Gummi Pflege Stift on the door and window seals (cleaning with denatured alcohol first).

I'm sure it will help keep the seals in better condition, but the door to window seal I'm not so sure about. This is a very thin channel so I put some on a mf cloth and used a vinyl panel removal tool to wipe it on the gasket/seal which rests against the window.

Time will tell if it made a difference - will post back after the next snow storm.

ky.supra

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
It's not so much the temp as it is the temp + water = ice.

They work fine if it is dry, its when it snows, then melts, then freezes that causes the issue.
They still work fine for me, it snowed and rained this week - I cleared it and was fine on my commutes to Westchester, NY.
Sponsored