Front grill measurements / number plate mounting options

raz81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 S14, 2023 A90 (waiting...)
So... I may have purchased number plates before my car arrives, and I didn't take into consideration where to mount them. I hate the default mounting spot, so I am wondering if anyone can provide me the measurements of the 3 highlighted areas below? I cant seem to find dimensions online anywhere, and I want to figure out if my number plate will fit (unfortunately it is mandatory to have a front plate in Australia).

2022-09-13 14_12_52-TOYOTA GAZOO Racing Outlines Supra Enhancements _ Toyota _ Global Newsroom...png

For reference, the plate is 372 x 100mm

While I am at it, any recommendations for mounts that will support a slim 100mm plate? Most I find are for USA plates that seem to be short and fat...

So far the 2 top options are

Side mount (not sure I like how it will be off centre though):
https://www.3dcabin.co.uk/products/...-v-front-tow-hook?_pos=1&_sid=5b88d81aa&_ss=r

Front mount (mount is probably too tall - I have emailed the seller for dimensions but not response yet)
https://carbonio.com/products/toyota-supra-no-drill-front-license-plate-mount?variant=31405461438533

Any aussies have a good solution??
Sponsored

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Hey mate.. fellow Aussie here.

I too am considering this problem. I've been leaning towards the sto-n-go because my state has an issue with plates being off center. šŸ™„ My issue is that the sto-n-go reduces ground clearance and from what I understand, also makes the plates easier to steal.

I also think I'd have to mod the bracket - even the Euro plate looks too wide to accommodate my plates.

I'm also petrified the dealer is going to drill holes into the car before delivery.

Last edited:

MyCorolla

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ICE
My issue is that the sto-n-go reduces ground clearance and from what I understand, also makes the plates easier to steal.
While the bracket that attaches to the bumper is about 10mm in thickness, its effect is practically negligible because the underside of the bumper angles up towards the front. If you scrape it, it might actually keep your bumper from getting scratched.

As for easier for thieves to steal the plate, they would have to be familiar with the device. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Iā€˜ve been using the sto-n-sho for over two years and Iā€™ve never had any issues.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
While the bracket that attaches to the bumper is about 10mm in thickness, its effect is practically negligible because the underside of the bumper angles up towards the front. If you scrape it, it might actually keep your bumper from getting scratched.

As for easier for thieves to steal the plate, they would have to be familiar with the device. Not impossible but very unlikely.

Iā€˜ve been using the sto-n-sho for over two years and Iā€™ve never had any issues.
Good information. Thanks. I actually reached out to sto-n-go and they seem to have a pre-made plate for Australia too - I might ask them for dimensions as I want to know how it will look with full size/slimline plates.

OP
OP

raz81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is great info, thanks guys.

Good information. Thanks. I actually reached out to sto-n-go and they seem to have a pre-made plate for Australia too - I might ask them for dimensions as I want to know how it will look with full size/slimline plates.
Please let me know what they respond with. The euro plate is definitely too big but an Australian option (hopefully slimline) seems to be the best for us at this stage.

I checked the Qld laws and couldn't find anything specific about an off centre plate, but I did find that they need to be facing straight (45 degree viewing angle from sides) which certainly won't be the case with the side mount. I don't want to to be giving any unnecessary reasons to be pulled over, so that option is now out of the picture

OP
OP

raz81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I found it on their web site - no idea how i missed this before

https://stonsho.com/australian-sto-n-sho-front-plate-in-place-of-us-front-plate/

14 inches X 3.5 inches which is roughly 355x89mm. Seems perfect for 372x100 slimlines.

Bloody shipping costs almost as much as the mount :/

Only issue i see is the added 10mm on the bumper. I want to put lowering springs that will put it at around or a tad below legal height, and this will add more too it (i've been pulled over for dumb shit like this in my S14). Oh well, it seems like the best option though - as long as the dealer doesnt get drill happy first!

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
https://stonsho.com/australian-sto-n-sho-front-plate-in-place-of-us-front-plate/
14 inches X 3.5 inches which is roughly 355x89mm. Seems perfect for 372x100 slimlines.
If that image is accurate then I don't think it will fit our plates well at all. Not sure about your state, but in the nanny state we don't have holes on the far sides. Ideally I need to screw the plate in at the top.. and the mild curve might pose a problem too.

I've emailed them to try and get some diagrams as I'd hate to spend a small fortune on something that either doesn't work or needs wholesale changes.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I checked the Qld laws and couldn't find anything specific about an off centre plate, but I did find that they need to be facing straight (45 degree viewing angle from sides) which certainly won't be the case with the side mount.
My state's rules are the same. And I totally agree; the less reasons I can give cops to pull over my bright yellow sports car, the better!

OP
OP

raz81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This could be an option after-all, if you dont mind double sided tape

https://carbonio.com/products/toyota-supra-no-drill-front-license-plate-mount?variant=31405461438533

They responded to my inquiry with dimensions; 3 inches tall by 8 inches wide (203x76mm)

Given my plate is 372mm, i am not sure how i feel with 8cm either side not having support in high wind/at speed. Also not sure if it will fit within the grill space - but the dealer is calling me later this morning so I will try to get dimensions (also going to figure out if they wont drill the bumper if i ask...)

Not sure about your state, but in the nanny state we don't have holes on the far sides. Ideally I need to screw the plate in at the top.. and the mild curve might pose a problem too.
Bugger. Our custom plates are some sort of flex plastic, and require us to drill the holes where we need them ourselves.

OP
OP

raz81

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update for any Australians reading this. I got much better info from the dealer today then what I was originally told back when I ordered.
They do not drill the bumpers or mount in the middle. Toyota supply a bracket for the left side (tow hook).
I imagine it is going to look garbage. To keep it legal the number plate needs to be straight, facing forward, whereas that part of the car is curving away towards the wheel.
They will hopefully send me pics next week and I will post here. We'll see what it looks like, but the Sto-N-Sho may still be the way to go.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
They do not drill the bumpers or mount in the middle. Toyota supply a bracket for the left side (tow hook).
I've never seen one in Australia like that. Do you know if this is a new thing? Can anyone who has bought a Supra here confirm? Toyota part number? Etc.

We'll see what it looks like, but the Sto-N-Sho may still be the way to go.
Yeah, I've sent them yet another email with details about Australian plates as they're very low on actual specifications of their "Australian" mount which is concerning. The images of this mount don't actually look like they're going to work out of the box. And incidentally, the images look exactly the same as the "European" mount which is concerning.

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Same, it's what made me ask for photos lol
I'm going to call BS on your stealer's information.

Firstly, almost every salesperson I have spoken to here has had no idea about anything to do with the Supra. Secondly, all the press photos - and even the Toyota website - feature the shitty drilled in plates/back-plate. To this end I think that your information is half right. My understanding is that the drilled in back-plate comes lose and that's what the stealer drills onto the car.. not a side mounted tow plate mount. Thinking about it, as a third point, if Toyota did supply a tow mount, it would essentially eradicate all those third party tow mounted plate holders.

Keen to see what the stealer says, but my money is on the above. šŸ˜…

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Got another response from sto-n-show. They're plenty responsive but for reasons I don't actually understand, they simply refuse to send me an image or a diagram of the "Australian" plate mount. Frustrating!

There are some variations in our front plates and the image used to represent the foreign plates depicts the European size. You will, however, probably need to add your own holes to the plate to get them to line up with your license plate holes. We actually designed the Australian front plate based on specifications provided by a mechanic at Ford in Australia several years ago specifically for the Ford Falcon, but we may wan to look at modifying the plate in the future to accommodate both the 5 and 6 character plates.
Not sure how a story about a Ford Falcon has anything to do with the actual size and shape of the Australian number plates, let alone sto-n-show's mounting plate, but anyway. šŸ™„

I might try one last time. Ugh.
Sponsored