Gas tank door cover (car wash issue).

Loui

First Name
Loui
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I have a silly issue with my 2021 supra. I've taken the car twice to a touchless car wash--and both time the water spraying the car would open the gas tank door cover open; the second time, I though that I was going to lose it. Any ideas how to solve this/ or how to prevent it?
Sponsored

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I have a silly issue with my 2021 supra. I've taken the car twice to a touchless car wash--and both time the water spraying the car would open the gas tank door cover open; the second time, I though that I was going to lose it. Any ideas how to solve this/ or how to prevent it?
Go to a hand wash, or hand wash your car. I'd recommend never going to an automatic car wash, even if it's touchless.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Why is that?
I don't trust automated cash washes at all. There's no one regulating the pressure, there's no way to know what chemicals they're using, how hard it's going to be on the paint, if it could/would damage the ceramic coating (if you have that), they're not going to cover any damage if something breaks off (aftermarket or otherwise), not to mention the Supra's have some really soft paint, especially in the front.

When you use Ethos or Chemical Guys, or whatever your preferred brand of car shampoo is, you know what you're getting, and you can set the pressure on your pressure washer to a perfect psi to know you're not being too hard on it. (I go with 1,600 into the foam cannon, but YMMY).

An hour or two of your time once or twice a week can be really cathartic as well. Washing my car is one of the few times where I actually get some good headspace.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
PH neutral soap is your friend coupled with proper washing techniques.

My paint has no marring in the clear coat and I intend to keep it that way!

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Bro, do you want a machine just slapping your car clean? Or delicately clean your car the proper way without possible dents..? Just saying, not gonna force my views onto you but just a heads up..

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
0C4C088B-A86B-440C-912A-51D70DCB249D.jpeg
464BEA40-F170-4F5C-9601-FF4953971B6D.jpeg

i want my car to retain it's gloss so i suggest start getting your hands dirty on the car and not letting a machine do it.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I don't trust automated cash washes at all. There's no one regulating the pressure, there's no way to know what chemicals they're using, how hard it's going to be on the paint, if it could/would damage the ceramic coating (if you have that), they're not going to cover any damage if something breaks off (aftermarket or otherwise), not to mention the Supra's have some really soft paint, especially in the front.

When you use Ethos or Chemical Guys, or whatever your preferred brand of car shampoo is, you know what you're getting, and you can set the pressure on your pressure washer to a perfect psi to know you're not being too hard on it. (I go with 1,600 into the foam cannon, but YMMY).

An hour or two of your time once or twice a week can be really cathartic as well. Washing my car is one of the few times where I actually get some good headspace.
Damn, we could be best friends when it comes to washing cars. ?? i wash the Sup every Friday for about 3-4 hours. ? never skipped a beat, and on special occasions if it rains, the car can get wash almost every day. ?

Reactions: zrk

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I know some people go the car wash route since they don't have a driveway / hose (condo or apartment etc).

One alternative option in those situations is to use ONR: https://www.amazon.com/Optimum-NR2010Q-Rinse-Wash-Shine/dp/B00D8DR0AO

Pretty easy process:
1. Mix up bucket of ONR
2. Sponge a panel/window with it
3. Dry the panel/window with a clean, good quality microfiber towel. Use a new one per panel. You'll need a lot of these (12+), but they are not expensive and last a long time if you wash and take care of them.
4. Repeat for rest of car.

Despite having a driveway and hose, I've switched to using it and you can use it in the garage. The stuff is biodegradable and just evaporates off the floor eventually like water.
Sponsored