Supriast

First Name
Rainer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GR Supra 3,0 L Premium 2019
Vehicle Showcase
If someone intends to use Harry's LapTimer https://www.gps-laptimer.de with his new GR Supra A90, he will be in need of the gear ratios.

Here they are:

1. gear 5,250
2. gear 3,360
3. gear 2,172
4. gear 1,720
5. gear 1,316
6. gear 1,000
7. gear 0,822
8. gear 0,640

rear axis ratio 3,150

German source: https://www.alle-autos-in.de/toyota/toyota_supra_gr_ktb6695.shtml

I will use my Bluetooth OBDII sender Kiwi 3 of plx https://www.plxdevices.com/Kiwi-3-OBD-Car-to-Smartphone-Connection-p/897346002832.htm for OBD data. The OBDII plug is below the steering wheel, a bid to the left of the driver, no cover on it.

My 10 Hz rated GPS receiver is from Dual XGPS 160 https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160. Internal iPhone GPS is too slow.

My old iPhone will run Harry's Laptimer and will be mounted on the cross beam behind the seats in the middle. I will use the selfie cam, because the normal cam has a strange behavior on the road due to a special lens which usually stabilizes the hand guided videos but results in poor recording quality when mounted in a car. The selfie cam does not have such wobbling lens and the video quality is good.

The iPhone is held by a RAM mount, the socket of which is adhered to the cross beam with this https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-378U.

I used a similar equipment already a lot on track days.
Sponsored

Mr. Kurtz

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1981 Toyota Celica GT Sunchaser, 2020 Toyota Supra Premium
This is very timely. Iā€™ve got a trackday on Tuesday, and I was planning to download Harryā€™s. Iā€™m not using any external devices with it, just planning to run it on my phone.

I donā€™t really want to mount an adhesive mount to the crossbar(or anywhere, really). I was hoping to use a Ram suction cup mount on the windshield, but Iā€™m not confident itā€™ll stick.

OP
OP
Supriast

Supriast

First Name
Rainer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I want to prevent you from any disappointment; please do not mount the phone on the windshield. This would require that you use the normal phone camera, otherwise you can not operate the phone for launching the app. If, however, you use the normal phone camera, your videos will be jittering. It is a problem of all newer phones. The phone cams are optimized for hand held shots, which results in horrible shots when fixedly mounted to a car at its vibrations. Thus, please use the selfie cam because the selfie cam has not wobbling lens.

Today I tried a suction cup of RAM mount. I could successfully suck it to the cross bar. The display of the phone is then accessible from the front for operation and launching the app, you can see the timer in the mirror and the video is recorded via the selfie cam. Works perfect, I did not expect.

The iPhone GPS is too slow for auto-detecting the position of your car. It's only 1 Hz, which is one position per second. We you drive with race speed, the detection with 1 Hz is insufficient. E.g., in one second you move 42 meters at a speed of 150 km/h. You need something with 10 Hz GPS rate.

OP
OP
Supriast

Supriast

First Name
Rainer
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Spend some time today at the Salzburgring.
Video quality is not yet good enough. Driver as well.

hugokuo

First Name
Hugo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2910 Range Rover Velar, 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS, ordered A90
Vehicle Showcase
Spend some time today at the Salzburgring.
Video quality is not yet good enough. Driver as well.
Nice clip. How's the rates looks like from the KIWI OBD2 to your phone? I'm using Tonwon OBD2 BLTE and it's between 0~5 which is very low hence can't be used with Harry's. The sane OBD2 was used on my Porsche 981 and Mazda without problem tho.

I noticed your overlay has a bit delay. It's like the update rate around 0.5s per time.

SCCA Racer#75

First Name
Dave`
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2018 ZL1 1LE
Any experience with TrackAddicts?

Best Regards,
Dave

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I use "Readyaction Sport -Suction Cup Car Mount" for my phone to use /w Harry's. If you are referring to something like gopro, I was thinking of utilizing putting double-sided tape or contraption to the bar behind the seat so that it will have view of driver and front and perhaps rear.

if you have roll cage, definitely utilize those bars.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
I want to prevent you from any disappointment; please do not mount the phone on the windshield. This would require that you use the normal phone camera, otherwise you can not operate the phone for launching the app. If, however, you use the normal phone camera, your videos will be jittering. It is a problem of all newer phones. The phone cams are optimized for hand held shots, which results in horrible shots when fixedly mounted to a car at its vibrations. Thus, please use the selfie cam because the selfie cam has not wobbling lens.
I'm not sure if this is iphone thing but I've been using Samsung phone for past decade without issue you are describing. As for iphone, I always ran out of space so I switched to samsung. Also, I store all my photo & video in expandable SD card in the phone. i'm mentioning it just case storage speed matters.

Jon H

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 GT-R, 2021 Supra, X7
I'm not sure if this is iphone thing but I've been using Samsung phone for past decade without issue you are describing. As for iphone, I always ran out of space so I switched to samsung. Also, I store all my photo & video in expandable SD card in the phone. i'm mentioning it just case storage speed matters.

Same. I just watched videos that were a few years old at Buttonwillow vs my most recent in December. No issues mounted on windshield utilizing the reg phone cam on Samsung S20 Ultra.
Sponsored