Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Stolen from the Z4 details thread.

Z4 M40i: BMW M Performance model with straight-six engine.

For those seeking even more exhilarating performance, the all-new 2020 BMW Z4 M40i Roadster’s 3.0-liter six-cylinder in-line engine delivers instantaneous response, an appetite for revs and smoothness while offering an increase of 47 hp over its predecessor. The new 6- cylinder engine’s standout features include a water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head, quicker TwinScroll turbocharger response and direct injection technology which now works at increased maximum pressure of 350 bar / 5,076 psi. Drivers have 382 hp at their disposal between 5,000 and 6,500 rpm, plus 369 lb-ft. of peak torque from 1,600 to 4,500 rpm. The BMW Z4 M40i Roadster sprints from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds.

This is probably why we are seeing a difference in head details in the pics between the new Z4/Supra B58 and previous B58's.
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
So you think your first car (BRZ/FRS) is not water cooled?
Not a water-cooled exhaust manifold, which VW brought out in 2013, which I'm guessing is why he referenced them.

Benefits; allows engine to get up to operating temps quickly, thus reduced engine wear and better economy, reduces exhaust temps which extend the life of cat converters, and better response/power since turbos are closer to valves.

Cons: Less tuneable and extra load on cooling system.

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
1. I don't think the engine and the exhaust cooling system will share the same fluid, I might be wrong but it doesn't make sense to me.

2. I wonder if it uses the A/C to chill the coolant. I can't imagine a regular heat exchanger managing all that turbo heat without boiling the coolant but I guess if direct injection requires +5000 psi, they can probably raise the coolant pressure as well to keep it from boiling.

3. Also is this a replacement for intercooling? I wouldn't think exhaust temps would affect intake temps that much. Air doesn't stay that long in the compressor to be affected by it. We're probably still gonna get a regular air to air intercooler.

IMO a regular A/W intercooler with the capability to use the A/C would be ideal.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stolen from the Z4 details thread.

This is probably why we are seeing a difference in head details in the pics between the new Z4/Supra B58 and previous B58's.
water-cooled exhaust manifold integrated into the cylinder head in this engine
cq5dam.resized.img.980.medium.time1535729744071.jpg

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1. I don't think the engine and the exhaust cooling system will share the same fluid, I might be wrong but it doesn't make sense to me.

2. I wonder if it uses the A/C to chill the coolant. I can't imagine a regular heat exchanger managing all that turbo heat without boiling the coolant but I guess if direct injection requires +5000 psi, they can probably raise the coolant pressure as well to keep it from boiling.

3. Also is this a replacement for intercooling? I wouldn't think exhaust temps would affect intake temps that much. Air doesn't stay that long in the compressor to be affected by it. We're probably still gonna get a regular air to air intercooler.

IMO a regular A/W intercooler with the capability to use the A/C would be ideal.
Capture1.jpg

1. Same fluid in the upper part of the engine only one exit in red.

2. Only one exit in blue for radiator -> only one coolant

3. The green part probably allows to regulate the cooling flow in the upper part of the engine.

In the green circle we can see admision.
Air air or air water is a good questions :dunno:

Reactions: BRX
OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
interestingly, the engine in the A90 goodwood prototype doesn't have an integrated exhaust manifold. you can clearly see the cast steel runners for cylinder one and two.

I wonder if they do actually share different heads?? Because it certainly looks cast and not water-cooled here.

upload_2018-9-19_21-51-20.png

BRX

First Name
Abdulla
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Tundra, Celica, GT86
interestingly, the engine in the A90 goodwood prototype doesn't have an integrated exhaust manifold. you can clearly see the cast steel runners for cylinder one and two.

I wonder if they do actually share different heads?? Because it certainly looks cast and not water-cooled here.

The plot thickens :hmm:

This is a prototype though, or maybe Toyota just didn't like it and went the ol' reliable way of "don't fix it if it ain't broke".

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

I know I post this picture you're referring ;)

But after reflection it may be just this part in red because view the angle have no can see the collector with this cylinder head.
And don't forbid this picture is a render.
Capture2.jpg

OP
OP

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
possibly, and yes I realised you were the original poster haha.

it seems like that the cast runners are more forward, closer to the front of the engine... but we're really guessing at this point.

I really hope the manifold is not a part of the head... as that's a real pain for anyone wishing to fit a different turbo/manifold.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
Even the placement of the bolts mounting the cast manifold to the head in the supra picture looks different than the orientation of bolts on that section of the manifold on the Z4 motor. Although it is tough to tell from the angle we can see.

mrarm

First Name
Franck
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I really hope the manifold is not a part of the head... as that's a real pain for anyone wishing to fit a different turbo/manifold.
I know that's why I always wonder if I bought a MK4 or the new supra.
This is also why I am so attentive to what is driving.
If the supra has the engine X5 M40i we can draw 420Ch with slight modifications after I do not see how to get more with:
A manifold molded into the cylinder head
Cylinders surely made by electrical wire -> Cylinders oversize impossible.
Air Water system probably also what will not be very easy to modify.
The only simple thing to do well is like tada lighten the car to be faster and take a PC to optimize the ecu :(
The only other option would be to change the compression ratio if this is possible ..