High-Pitched Whine Coming From Engine Bay (2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0)

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Hi all,

Just recently I noticed this high-pitched whine coming from my engine bay and I don't recall it being there when I first purchased the vehicle. I'm not sure if this sound is normal or not. The whine becomes more obvious around the halfway point of the video. It seems to be coming mostly from around the serpentine belt area on the driver's side. I can still hear it if I close the hood, just not inside the cabin with the doors and windows closed. On the rare occasion, the whine will stop then continue some other time. Tried possible troubleshooting methods like turning off the AC and the sound persisted. I bought it used from the dealership and I'm not sure if the previous owner made any modifications at all. I've thought about taking it in to a Toyota dealership to have it checked, and have tried, but they're always booked every weekend and I get out of work after they've closed for the day during week days. This is my daily driver (currently at ~11,000 miles). Thank you for your comments/replies in advance!

Sponsored

Last edited:

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
Hi all,

Just recently I noticed this high-pitched whine coming from my engine bay and I don't recall it being there when I first purchased the vehicle. I'm not sure if this sound is normal or not. The whine becomes more obvious around the halfway point of the video. It seems to be coming mostly from around the serpentine belt area on the driver's side. I can still hear it if I close the hood, just not inside the cabin with the doors and windows closed. You also cannot hear it at all under 1k RPM even if you pop the hood. Tried possible troubleshooting methods like turning off the AC and the sound persisted. I bought it used from the dealership and I'm not sure if the previous owner made any modifications at all. I've thought about taking it in to a Toyota dealership to have it checked, and have tried, but they're always booked every weekend and I get out of work after they've closed for the day during week days. This is my daily driver (currently at ~11,000 miles). Thank you for your comments/replies in advance!

Hm interesting, doesn't sound very bad fortunately, just going by "gut feeling".

That large cover/panel right in front of the engine that connects to the bumper that has a wire run above it where your reflection is (sorry don't know the proper name of it) looks like carbon fibre? I don't know if there's any special editions (doubt it) that come with that part in CF, it's normally just plain black metal, if not (like I think) then that would start to be an indication the car may have been modified?

You don't often see that part modified so it seems probable if they went through the trouble to spend money for that CF part they probably messed about with other stuff too and then returned it to stock for sale.

This is all conjecture ofcourse.

One thing: you said you can't hear it at all under 1k rpm, I'm confused as we can hear it in the video and the car is idling, the Supra normally idles around 700-800 rpm so below 1k? At least mine does.

crussell122

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue Supra
I noticed this on mine the other day as well, same exact noise and location. The only mods I have are a catback and an intake, so I don't think this is a mod thing. From what I remember, the sound goes away when I turn the AC off.

I took it to the dealer not too long back to get that sound checked out alongside a couple other things, and from what they told me, it's normal.

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hm interesting, doesn't sound very bad fortunately, just going by "gut feeling".

That large cover/panel right in front of the engine that connects to the bumper that has a wire run above it where your reflection is (sorry don't know the proper name of it) looks like carbon fibre? I don't know if there's any special editions (doubt it) that come with that part in CF, it's normally just plain black metal, if not (like I think) then that would start to be an indication the car may have been modified?

You don't often see that part modified so it seems probable if they went through the trouble to spend money for that CF part they probably messed about with other stuff too and then returned it to stock for sale.

This is all conjecture ofcourse.

One thing: you said you can't hear it at all under 1k rpm, I'm confused as we can hear it in the video and the car is idling, the Supra normally idles around 700-800 rpm so below 1k? At least mine does.
It probably is slightly modified, and those guesses are definitely pretty valid. And yeah you're right, I took another look at it today and the car does indeed idle at 700-800 RPM. For some reason I was under the impression that that it idled at 1.5k haha. Thanks for pointing that out and for your response in general!

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I noticed this on mine the other day as well, same exact noise and location. The only mods I have are a catback and an intake, so I don't think this is a mod thing. From what I remember, the sound goes away when I turn the AC off.

I took it to the dealer not too long back to get that sound checked out alongside a couple other things, and from what they told me, it's normal.
This is definitely comforting to hear. Unfortunately however, when I turn the AC off, the sound persists for me. Thank you for your reply!

crussell122

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is definitely comforting to hear. Unfortunately however, when I turn the AC off, the sound persists for me.
Hmm... there's a chance these might be different sounds then. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow if it happens, because sometimes it doesn't for whatever reason. Even though the dealer said it was normal, I sure hope they're right... My bumper to bumper warranty is up in December.

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hmm... there's a chance these might be different sounds then. I'll try to get a video of it tomorrow if it happens, because sometimes it doesn't for whatever reason. Even though the dealer said it was normal, I sure hope they're right... My bumper to bumper warranty is up in December.
I see... if you can get a video and upload it so I can compare I'd very much appreciate it! Really hope the dealership was right about your car based on what you said about the warranty... Nice refraction blue by the way.

crussell122

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I see... if you can get a video and upload it so I can compare I'd very much appreciate it! Really hope the dealership was right about your car based on what you said about the warranty...
Found this video in the FB MKV Owners group: https://www.facebook.com/reel/2738926299687673

This is exactly what I hear. The comments there aren't very helpful, but looks like at least 2 others experience the same sound.

Nice refraction blue by the way.
Thanks!

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Found this video in the FB MKV Owners group: https://www.facebook.com/reel/2738926299687673

This is exactly what I hear. The comments there aren't very helpful, but looks like at least 2 others experience the same sound.

Thanks!
This is the exact same sound I'm getting! I really do hope it's normal like the dealership said. For some reason when I click on the link, it doesn't take me to the reel, it just acts as a broken link, but yet it shows the video in your post... weird... also, do you by any chance also get a chirping/whistle noise that you can only hear when you lower your window and on relatively low acceleration/speed, probably best heard around 25-30 mph? How about creaky interior panels (specially in very hot days when going over bumps, dips, etc on crappy roads)? For being a $50k+ car, my car sure as hell creaks inside A LOT, specially at the beginning of my drives. I have a video of me trying to move the interior panels and they're loud lol.

Supra_UK_

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ex-Owner '23 GR Supra 6MT
This is the exact same sound I'm getting! I really do hope it's normal like the dealership said. For some reason when I click on the link, it doesn't take me to the reel, it just acts as a broken link, but yet it shows the video in your post... weird... also, do you by any chance also get a chirping/whistle noise that you can only hear when you lower your window and on relatively low acceleration/speed, probably best heard around 25-30 mph? How about creaky interior panels (specially in very hot days when going over bumps, dips, etc on crappy roads)? For being a $50k+ car, my car sure as hell creaks inside A LOT, specially at the beginning of my drives. I have a video of me trying to move the interior panels and they're loud lol.
Good question, from reading most people on here they all agreed it has more creacks than expected.

Mine is ok only the rear bar behind the seats rattles a little on imperfect tarmac, I feel though it's subjective and dependant on people's previous cars.

crussell122

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
do you by any chance also get a chirping/whistle noise that you can only hear when you lower your window and on relatively low acceleration/speed, probably best heard around 25-30 mph?
Not sure on that one. I haven't noticed anything similar.

How about creaky interior panels
Yes... That was one of the reasons I took the car to the dealer alongside this whining noise. Unfortunately after going there, I still have plenty of rattling noises coming from both the driver and passenger side door panels.

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Good question, from reading most people on here they all agreed it has more creacks than expected.

Mine is ok only the rear bar behind the seats rattles a little on imperfect tarmac, I feel though it's subjective and dependant on people's previous cars.
Man... my 2014 Corolla's interior is super well built compared to my Supra's, lol. No creaking in that car but yet my Supra loves to creak in nearly every panel... sounds like an old beat up car, specially at the beginning of my drives. šŸ˜‚

OP
OP

Ariose

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure on that one. I haven't noticed anything similar.

Yes... That was one of the reasons I took the car to the dealer alongside this whining noise. Unfortunately after going there, I still have plenty of rattling noises coming from both the driver and passenger side door panels.
I see... if I do take my car in some day (whenever THAT's possible due to work and them always being booked on weekends), hopefully I'll have better luck getting these things resolved... Best of luck to us both though, and our cars lasting!

_austind

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Iā€™m having the same issue as well. I got my 2020 in April 2021 with 2k miles and it became my weekend car at around 11k miles. Iā€™m at 14k now and mine just started making this noise. Iā€™ve had the same mods for about 10k miles now so I doubt it has anything to do with that. I do find it odd that several of us had this issue arise in the past week.
Sponsored