Hks exhausts claim

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
Hey guys I've tried finding this via Google but I don't think I'm searching it right and it doesn't seem like anyone is talking about this claim currently. However does anyone know how true the 50Hp gain is from the hks exhaust, and is it strictly from swapping in the part or does it involve a tune? I guess the other part of the question is, how is it possible an exhaust can gain you 50hp? Would appreciate any insight I'm just curious about this claim.
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I haven't heard that. HP gains from a cat-back system on the A90 are minimal. So, unless you had a potato stuck in your exhaust, I don't think a new cat-back system on this car would net you 50 HP.

A new downpipe would net more, but I don't know what HP gains would be on a 2021 with or without a tune. I don't think you would get 50 HP from any downpipe without a tune. In any event, I don't think HKS has a downpipe for the A90. :dunno:

So, not sure where this information is coming from, but it's highly suspect. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
I saw this claim too. HKS is high quality company but imo there is 0% chance to get anything near with just an exhaust swap. Also, its CATback, means stock downpipe with cats is still in place, and those are the biggest restrictors in the exaust. I'd guess maybe 5hp at the crank for just bolt-on ;) Even catless DP with exhaust wont give gains near that. The magic happens with tuning so tuner can use the additional flow and lower back pressue to get more power.

Catback with no tune = just for sound. Boostlogic for weight reduction as an additional benefit. AWE claims around 6whp peak on their and that is far more possible.

Islindur

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Had:Yellow 2l Have: Red 3l
That seems quite inflated.

I wonder if prev tuning had an effect on the results, since car already came with around 440hp, would like to see stock vs stock+hks. But still, very interesting, around 20whp gains in the top is actually very good, wouldnt suspect.

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
I wonder if prev tuning had an effect on the results, since car already came with around 440hp, would like to see stock vs stock+hks. But still, very interesting, around 20whp gains in the top is actually very good, wouldnt suspect.
It absolutely plays a role, Modifications are a package deal and I believe they work in unison. That's why you see some folks with very similar setups producing different results based on mod manufacturers, tune choices etc. There are definitely going to be HP gains but they will certainly not be 50+hp on just an exhaust.

2Cool

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium 3.0
Well, if you affix the included stickers that come with it you likely will pick up mad power...

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
SmartSelect_20210128-091024_Chrome.jpg

Here is what it says on HKS's website for the exhaust for with a tune and only the exhaust.
[/QUOTE

Would love to see literally any outside source of this claim, maybe a dyno sheet or a video?

It's THEIR exhaust, they certainly aren't going to tell people it doesn't make significant gains.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see it too. They also have airflow data on their website but falls into the category of not having any outside source from HKS.

I do have the HKS exhaust on my supra with the stock tune. Maybe I should just bring this to a local dyno to see what you actually get with no tune.

OP
OP
Nexus90

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
im glad we were able to get some decent discussion on this i was feeling dumbfounded cause i couldnt find a reasonable way to make 50 more ponies on just exhaust. i mainly heard this statement on mapperformance youtube top 5 supra exhaust systems akropovic, hks, afe, awe, and map were the selected ones
Sponsored