How necessary is the Downpipe?

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
Let me put it this way...if the downpipe didn't make a difference, tuners wouldn't be making separate maps for stage 1 and stage 2 with different timing and boost targets. They don't make different maps for intakes, charge pipes, catbacks, etc., but they DO make different maps for stock vs aftermarket downpipes. That should tell you everything you need to know.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HarrisRacing

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (tunable)
Ask Luis. lg_supra on instagram, he's really kind, i'm sure he'll give you whatever answer your looking for.

Honestly, I'd looove to hear more about this one. Did you run it at TX2K a bunch of years back? There was a sick 70s celica (i forget the year) with a 2JZ swap and 80something mm turbo. Thing was a beast.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but where's @Marshall@ViscontiTuning? I'm sure he knows more about this than @Mason and I.
No I was in my R32 GT-R the year that car was there (the celica that sheared the wheel studs on the line). That car was a 6 speed Getrag 2JZGTE setup. Mine is a fully forged LS 6.0 with twin 66mm, TH400 and Parallel 4-link. It's a liftback 77. Still working on cage fab etc right now, but the engine is in the car, I built new subframe, rack and pinion conversion (with electric power steering), full front mount IC setup and turbo piping is all done. huge project, but the back-half is almost done and it should go quick from there. I do everything in my shop myself (aside from engine machining and balancing). I do all my fab, Tig welding, engine building, tuning, etc. I can post pics elsewhere really.