IND | 3D Design A90 Supra Carbon Paddle Set DIY

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Yeah, I agree with antonio88x, to use a pick tool to push the clip apart. Once you push on the clip lock it will open up with ease.
45722_2000x2000.jpg
Sponsored

Hai

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.haihoangtran.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR Premium
Yeah, I agree with antonio88x, to use a pick tool to push the clip apart. Once you push on the clip lock it will open up with ease.
45722_2000x2000.jpg
I used some pick tools to push on the connectors like IND showed in their photos. If you're using a screwdriver, it might be harder since the connectors are so small.
So push in on the flat spot (red arrow) then pull out (green arrow)?
Is there a specific spot to push or just that general flat spot? I noticed that there is a small notch/raised ridge (yellow arrow) that acts as a stopper.

Does pushing down on the flat spot (red arrow) make everything separate super easy or is there still a lot of force needed?

Attachments

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
So push in on the flat spot (red arrow) then pull out (green arrow)?
Is there a specific spot to push or just that general flat spot? I noticed that there is a small notch/raised ridge (yellow arrow) that acts as a stopper.

Does pushing down on the flat spot (red arrow) make everything separate super easy or is there still a lot of force needed?
I pushed down on the yellow arrow in the little window. If I remember correctly, there's a raised detent and I pushed that down to be able to separate the connectors.

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I did it a few months ago but I don't remember needing a lot of force to open the clip. I don't remember exactly where to push to unlock it but I believe in the square hole I have marked in the picture below. I added a few other pictures that you can zoom in on which hopefully might show a better angle of the clip.
742.jpg
741.jpg
743.jpg
744.jpg

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Do these paddles wiggle for anyone else? Mine do if you wiggle them. They don't seem to be an exact fit within the housing on the spring side, there is some play where the light grey tabs go inside the black holes.

49215370352_b7481d0d01_b.jpg

Are mine defective or is this normal and I was just expecting more from $800 paddles?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
No wiggle on mine.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
OP
OP
iND-Distribution

iND-Distribution

Gold Sponsor
First Name
iND
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Do these paddles wiggle for anyone else? Mine do if you wiggle them. They don't seem to be an exact fit within the housing on the spring side, there is some play where the light grey tabs go inside the black holes.

Are mine defective or is this normal and I was just expecting more from $800 paddles?
They definitely should not "wiggle" outside of the factory base. I can honesty say these are actually my favorite feeling Supra paddles so far and I've had experience with about a half dozen of them.

A couple questions: Before you screwed the paddles into the steering wheel, how did the factory shift controller feel when attached to the paddle? Was there any play or was it a nice feeling click?

Do both paddles feel exactly the same? I'll assume the shift controller base is securely fastened to the steering wheel with the torx screws?

I have experienced a worn/stretched spring in the controller before. But that didn't produce a wiggle. That produced a lack of a crisp "click" and the paddle didn't spring back properly.

Install is pretty straight forward, but there is one possibility for error. When installing the paddle into the shift controller, make sure all the tabs fit together correctly. These can be slightly forced together with the tabs sticking out the end of the paddle not being inside the slotted housing.

49215367507_2182d9ac0c_b.jpg

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
There was no play in the oem.

Everything is tightened and double checked.

Both wiggle.

I agree there is little room for error. They play rests between the oem button and the plastic piece that slides onto the paddle.

Edit: Issue was actually between the ind paddles plastic housing and the ind metal paddle. resolved by applying epoxy to secure the plastic housing on the metal paddle.

Last edited:

serialbooper

First Name
Kyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra
There was no play in the oem.

Everything is tightened and double checked.

Both wiggle.

I agree there is little room for error. They play rests between the oem button and the plastic piece that slides onto the paddle.

i know this thread is old but just discovered it, i had a huge issue with 3d design paddles, a couple months ago, i got the last silver set ind had, hopefully they didnt put it back on the shelf to be sold again, but the holes in the oem paddles that the pin goes through is supposed to be tappered, the set i got wasnt, both holes were the same size causing massive up and down play in a very expensive set of paddles, ind did me right and i got a red set with no issues what so ever now, very tight.

long story short if anyone purchases a set of 3d design paddles and has massive play up and down check that both holes on the 3d design paddles are different sizes. at the time i couldn't find anyone with this issue.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
My "replacement set" also wiggled so I ended up using epoxy to secure them to their plastic housings.

BobbyC1221

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Messing with the airbag terrifies me. That’s the 1 thing stopping me from changing the steering wheel. That and Toyota may try to cancel the warranty.

it sure looks was enough but with my luck, the airbag will pop in my face. ?

how much do people charge to get this swapped out?

what’s funny is, I have no issues taking a $50k watch apart and servicing it but stuff like this is terrifying to me. ?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
try to cancel the warranty
There's a ton of information on this all over the internet, so I want fully regurgitate here, but it's possible they refuse warranty work on the steering wheel here, but they can't deny warranty work on, say, the powertrain if you messed with the wheel.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I've tried the more popular blackline paddle style most vendors offer but these 3d design paddles felt more like paddles. They stick further out away from the wheel and haver a more linear depression since they are more centered on the paddle buttons inside. They match the interior very well with the silver paint matching the exterior of my car as well.

tempImageJlKigg.png

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I've tried the more popular blackline paddle style most vendors offer but these 3d design paddles felt more like paddles. They stick further out away from the wheel and haver a more linear depression since they are more centered on the paddle buttons inside. They match the interior very well with the silver paint matching the exterior of my car as well.

tempImageJlKigg.png
Are those $800?
Sponsored