Jalopnik: New Toyota Supra Rendering Based on Insider Info

991GTS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, Gen2 Raptor
What a let down these renderings are after the amazing looking FT-1. Toyota may have set their customers up for disappointment.
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
The renderings are a let down, but im going to try and hold off judgment until we see the real thing.

on another note, everyone also thought the LC prototype looked bland and boring. the final version looks pretty good IMO. i think we should all just wait and not jump the gun.

but if you are reading this Toyota, please do not make it like the Jalopnik rendering. that thing loooks like @ss.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
everyone don't let up, that mule ain't the Supra, this is all hype from fake articles written on unpopular car websites like Caradvice from Australia which then gets used as sources on Motor Trend and C&D articles. Anyone can try to draw similarities but until there is something actually official this is all bullshit. For my two cents, that mule is the Z5M.

Remember what Toyota did with the LF-LC and how that turned out with the Lexus LC...Toyota won't disappoint us here.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The LC500 is one big reason I still have hope also designed by Calty Research. Too much at stake for Toyota especially if they dare to put a Supra badge on it.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
everyone don't let up, that mule ain't the Supra, this is all hype from fake articles written on unpopular car websites like Caradvice from Australia which then gets used as sources on Motor Trend and C&D articles. Anyone can try to draw similarities but until there is something actually official this is all bullshit. For my two cents, that mule is the Z5M.

Remember what Toyota did with the LF-LC and how that turned out with the Lexus LC...Toyota won't disappoint us here.
but why does coupe have a Toyota nose while the convertible clearly shows BMW's kidney bean grill? there are also differences with the door lines.

Pat Riarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mk4 Supra..... one day
Well to be honest, I'm sort of dissapointed with how it looks... looks too edgy (no pun intended)... missing that true supra feel. I do like the FT-1 though, although again it doesn't feel too Supra-ish, I'd much rather see something similar to it. I found this on insta and I have no idea where it came from but if it came down to it, I'd actually love to see something like this (i know, its a bit much):
14607152_570436773165153_1727792745348595712_n.jpg

Well imo I just feel as if if the picture by the OP is quite similar to what it looks like I'm just slightly dissapointed, and as said above, find it hard justifying a somewhat high-endish pricetag

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
but why does coupe have a Toyota nose while the convertible clearly shows BMW's kidney bean grill? there are also differences with the door lines.
I get that the front end doesn't resemble the BMW kidney grills and that it looks different from the roadster mule we all saw earlier in the year but it still means nothing especially in the context that it makes zero sense for Toyota to be relying on BMW when they make three times the profits that BMW takes in and since they own no stake in BMW (unlike Toyota/Subaru).

I think the mule's design is possibly just not finished and/or wearing some really unattractive camo/bumper which has distorted the lines on it...you gotta remember there is still a lot of time remaining as Toyota won't dare release any official details until after the Lexus LC has been out for at least half a year just like how they announced the MKIV Supra half a year after the Lexus SC.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Seeing it again now about a week after this render came out has it growing on me.

Very bland compared to the very dramatic concept. But I think it'll look very sleek, sharp, and surprisingly aggressive in person. A lot of the fake scoops and flares and whatnot from FT1 had to go at some point anyway, it's not like there was going to be any purpose to ducting air through the rear of the car, for example. But we better still get a big fat diffuser.

The "insider info" I strongly suspect is leaked cad etc from whoever supplies the front bumper cover and possibly the fenders, similar to what happened with the C7 corvette. All of the rest you can readily surmise from the mule running around. I wish they had some insider info on the rear end as well.

It looks good enough to want to own one. At least for now. Of course this will all be for naught if they 86 it with skinny tires and no power, or give it a GTR pricetag or whatnot. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
^ same here. I would find it hard paying $50k+ if this is what it looks like.
Price-wise it really all depends on if they back it up with enough performance.

I get the feeling that when we see the car in person it'll be less "wow" and more "that's really nice." When there are real pictures of a real car, I think it'll look a lot better. Big on the screen on an odd red background just isn't the same.

It has a very understated, confident vibe. Could even be sexy. Svelte shape and presence like an FB or FD RX7, first gen Viper GTS, or the new AMG GT. It has all of the elements of a classic sportscar... low, long hood, big hips... and should age very well.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
I get that the front end doesn't resemble the BMW kidney grills and that it looks different from the roadster mule we all saw earlier in the year but it still means nothing especially in the context that it makes zero sense for Toyota to be relying on BMW when they make three times the profits that BMW takes in and since they own no stake in BMW (unlike Toyota/Subaru).

I think the mule's design is possibly just not finished and/or wearing some really unattractive camo/bumper which has distorted the lines on it...you gotta remember there is still a lot of time remaining as Toyota won't dare release any official details until after the Lexus LC has been out for at least half a year just like how they announced the MKIV Supra half a year after the Lexus SC.
im thinking the only reason to turn to BMW would be because of their straight six motors and cheap access to carbon fiber. also to save on time and money for R&D. rich people don't stay rich by throwing money left and right.

agreed, both prototypes probably have a number of fake padding to hide details.

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
Jalopnik's rendering kinda reminds me of the Enzo.

Ferrari-Enzo-3.jpg

El Toro

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus IS
im thinking the only reason to turn to BMW would be because of their straight six motors and cheap access to carbon fiber. also to save on time and money for R&D. rich people don't stay rich by throwing money left and right.
BMW engines perform well but really have had their issues since they went turbo. Even prior to their turbo engines, they had VANOS issues and required a lot of maintenance (valve adjustments etc.). Still holding out hope for a Toyota engine! But with the interior looking so BMW, my hope faded some.

Carmaker1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Jaguar F-Type S Coupe
The renderings are a let down, but im going to try and hold off judgment until we see the real thing.

on another note, everyone also thought the LC prototype looked bland and boring. the final version looks pretty good IMO. i think we should all just wait and not jump the gun.

but if you are reading this Toyota, please do not make it like the Jalopnik rendering. that thing loooks like @ss.
I'm not really sure I understand your point or was it supposed to be tongue-in-cheek? The FT-1 production design from what I can recall, has been a done deal the past 1.5 to 2 years. The design freeze was around March of 2015 and production concept was approved in the third quarter of 2014, September 2014 to be precise. Really ridiculous considering how the 950A Lexus LC coupe design was barely frozen 2 1/2 years ago and goes on sale in spring 2017 and 200B Lexus LS design freeze in 2014.

Such concerns/requests really have to be made very early for them "hear you out" or significant delays will just occur in place of reacting to such commentary. They are already building production tooling for these cars, so to change anything would be prohibitively expensive.
Sponsored