KW V3 Ride Height Question

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
Anyone know what the maximum ride height is for the KW V3 Coilover Kit? I'm trying to maintain as close to OEM ride height as possible since I have to traverse speed bumps daily.

On their product page it lists the following:

Lowering FA: 15-35mm
Lowering RA: 20-40mm

I can't remember what those measurements refer to, but I know it's referring to something on the coilover itself in reference to another point on the car.
For instance I know that the 15 is the lower ride height setting of the range since it's a measurement from something like the spring seat to some other point.

Either way, just trying to figure out how high the car can ride on the maximum height setting with the KW's.
I've sent them an email, but it's the weekend so I don't expect I'll hear back until Monday so I figured I'd ask here.
Sponsored

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
Anyone know what the maximum ride height is for the KW V3 Coilover Kit? I'm trying to maintain as close to OEM ride height as possible since I have to traverse speed bumps daily.

On their product page it lists the following:

Lowering FA: 15-35mm
Lowering RA: 20-40mm

I can't remember what those measurements refer to, but I know it's referring to something on the coilover itself in reference to another point on the car.
For instance I know that the 15 is the lower ride height setting of the range since it's a measurement from something like the spring seat to some other point.

Either way, just trying to figure out how high the car can ride on the maximum height setting with the KW's.
I've sent them an email, but it's the weekend so I don't expect I'll hear back until Monday so I figured I'd ask here.

Actually i'm pretty sure those measurements are how much lower you can go. 15mm is roughly 1/2 an inch, and 35mm is about an inch and a half give or take. In general any coilover that you get is going to get you a lower stance, it just depends on how low you want to go. Some will get you slammed, others (like KW or Ohlins) are intended for spirited drives or track days, so its less about how low and more about the height mixed with the spring rates and adjustable dampers.

OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Actually i'm pretty sure those measurements are how much lower you can go. 15mm is roughly 1/2 an inch, and 35mm is about an inch and a half give or take. In general any coilover that you get is going to get you a lower stance, it just depends on how low you want to go. Some will get you slammed, others (like KW or Ohlins) are intended for spirited drives or track days, so its less about how low and more about the height mixed with the spring rates and adjustable dampers.
After doing some further digging I've found this pdf from there website:

http://docs.kwsuspension.de/ea-KWGFwEA-h686200CG.pdf

It looks like the adjustment range is the following:

FA: 160mm / 6.3" - 180mm / 7.1"; or about 20mm of adjustment within the coilover.
RA: 25mm / 1.0" - 40mm / 1.6"; or about 15mm of adjustment within the coilover.

Those distances are measured from the fastening screw to the spring contact area.
That mostly matches up with the claims from the product page.

It goes on to state (at least from my interpretation) that the distance from the wheel hub center to the fender edge at the minimum setting will be 335mm / 13.2".

Based on that the highest setting should be 355mm (20mm higher) or roughly 14".
I just went and measured my stock setup and im sitting at the following:
FA: 375mm
RA: 385mm

Based on that info, it looks like I should expect the following ride height drops:
FA: 20mm (.8") drop in ride height
RA: 35mm (1.4") drop in ride height

As an FYI I've also found this from another forum, different car but there is some great info from it.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595398

In section 4a he talks about height adjustment. His findings pretty much match up with the pdf document.

TLDR:
Based on my interpretation of the pdf from KW's page, the highest setting ends up with a ground clearance of 3.7", down from 4.5" from the ground clearance data on the A90 Supra.

Last edited:

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
This is dope as i was just looking into coilovers and ran across these on map performance website. They sound pretty amazing and even have the electronic adapt feature which is a plus.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
This is dope as i was just looking into coilovers and ran across these on map performance website. They sound pretty amazing and even have the electronic adapt feature which is a plus.
We have these in stock if you're interested.

OP I believe the highest setting you can go is about 1" drop all around, but your findings might be more accurate.

-Josh

OP
OP
BadOne

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just got the KW coilovers installed at Studio RSR.
Max ride height in the front is much higher than stock.

The setup I went with is:
Front: Went about 1-1.25 inches down from max ride height.
Rear: Spring perch flush with threaded area, this way all of the threads are biting.

Final height measurements after 1st adjustment:
Front: 360mm from center of wheel to fender. An overall 15mm lower.
Rear: 365mm from center of wheel to fender. An overall 20mm lower.

I will probably lower the fronts another 5mm to match before I call it good.

I did not bother to measure what the maximum ride height is in the rear. You could probably go the width of the spring perch higher in the rear (about 10-15mm if I had to guess). You wouldn't have all of the threads biting though.

Other notes:
The default settings from KW are harsh. I currently have them with the following settings:
Front Bump: Original settings
Rear Bump: 1 click softer
Front/Rear Rebound: 1 click softer.

Ride is still harsh. Will be adjusting the Rebound another 2-3 clicks and seeing what that does. I do like the bump settings though. Really feels dialed in.

Salty65

First Name
Salty
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra Premium 3.0
Just got the KW coilovers installed at Studio RSR.
Max ride height in the front is much higher than stock.

The setup I went with is:
Front: Went about 1-1.25 inches down from max ride height.
Rear: Spring perch flush with threaded area, this way all of the threads are biting.

Final height measurements after 1st adjustment:
Front: 360mm from center of wheel to fender. An overall 15mm lower.
Rear: 365mm from center of wheel to fender. An overall 20mm lower.

I will probably lower the fronts another 5mm to match before I call it good.

I did not bother to measure what the maximum ride height is in the rear. You could probably go the width of the spring perch higher in the rear (about 10-15mm if I had to guess). You wouldn't have all of the threads biting though.

Other notes:
The default settings from KW are harsh. I currently have them with the following settings:
Front Bump: Original settings
Rear Bump: 1 click softer
Front/Rear Rebound: 1 click softer.

Ride is still harsh. Will be adjusting the Rebound another 2-3 clicks and seeing what that does. I do like the bump settings though. Really feels dialed in.
BadOne

Are you able to upload some pics?